Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Default Review - Avalon Organics Olive and Grape Seed

I wanted to do a review on Avalon Organics Olive and Grape Seed Extra Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I had stumbled upon it accidentally when looking for coconut oil in a health food store. This was before I found out about this site.

I started using both shampoo and conditioner back in April when I had gotten all of my long hair chopped off and realized that my hair was actually very curly when I combed it after washing instead of brushing it everyday. My hair was super dry and frizzy and it felt like straw so I was hoping that this would help my hair and it not only helped it but it saved it as well!

It took less then a month for me to notice how well my hair took to it. Before, my hair would frizz up from the slightest bit of humidity but not anymore. The blend of oils not to mention aloe vera juice that it contains made my hair healthy again. This is the only shampoo and conditioner I use now. I don't even use a leave in conditioner because I don't need it.

This line is sulfate, silicone, paraben and frangrance free not to mention it doesn't test on animals and it's made from vegetarian ingredients. I'll post links to both the shampoo and conditioner so you can read the ingredient list for each.

Shampoo

Conditioner

If you have dry hair and are considering trying something different this is definitely worth a try. I paid $7.99 for each. It may be a bit pricey for some people but depending on how much you use(I only use a Toonie size amount of each), it will easily last you a good four months. I just emptied the first two bottles I bought back in April on Saturday. Here are some before and after pictures of my hair.

DT: Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Aqua-Immersion Creme Masque
Styling: Homemade FSG with Lavender EO & AVJ/water mist spray containing Epsom Salt, Lavender EO

Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

mrsgp101310's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

Wow Calypso, that's a huge difference bw your before and after! It looks so much healthier in your after pic
Where do you buy this from? I've looked for the poo at walmart but they didn't have the olive and grape seed one. I must find it!!
Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10
3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Cleansing: DevaCare No Poo
RO: CJ Smoothing,CJ BStC, CJAO
LI: CJ Smoothing, CJ BLI, CJAO
Stylers: MD CSC, CJ AF, SSCEJ, SSFHG, CJ CCCC, KCCC, CJ CIAB
mrsgp101310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Join Date: Mar 2011

Thank you! I'm not sure if what I do is considered modified CG because I still use a shampoo only there is no sulfates or silicones in it.

The only place I have found this line was at a local store called Stone Store Natural Foods. I have yet to see it in stores like Walmart. All I ever find in Walmart is products loaded with sulfates. Try checking out natural food stores. A lot of those places tend to sell things like makeup and shampoos made with natural ingredients so you may find it there!

DT: Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Aqua-Immersion Creme Masque

Last edited by Calypso; 08-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

Join Date: May 2011

You can find Avalon Organics products in Whole Foods and Target. I've seen the entire product line at Whole Foods, but only the lavender and rosemary varieties at Target. Most health food stores stock them, too, right next to the Aubrey's.
3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
LI: MOP Leave-In
Maggab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #5

mrsgp101310's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

i think walmart carries the rosemary kind too. I have a Sprouts in my area so I'll check there. Thanks girls
Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10

Cleansing: DevaCare No Poo
RO: CJ Smoothing,CJ BStC, CJAO
LI: CJ Smoothing, CJ BLI, CJAO
Stylers: MD CSC, CJ AF, SSCEJ, SSFHG, CJ CCCC, KCCC, CJ CIAB
mrsgp101310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #6

Join Date: Dec 2009

I am glad someone has made mention of this line. I am happy to know they have reformulated. The last bottle of Lemon Clarifying Conditioner I bought had 'cones and the Awapuhi Mango Shampoo had sulfates.
Back to browsing their products!
4a/3c curls
Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH

I've seen it at Bed Bath & Beyond also
CurlyQ-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

Join Date: Mar 2011

I just wanted to add that I had checked out Avalon's site last night and they went and changed the ingredients in the shampoo and conditioner I use. The shampoo now contains calendula and I heard that can lighten hair over time which is a no-no for me.

I really wish companies wouldn't change products like this.