Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #1

Join Date: Jul 2011
Default anyone used mixed silk by silk elements?

i am thinking about switching my hair product staple's. Sally Beauty didn't have Mixed Chicks, but they did have Mixed Silk by Silk Elements, which is supposed to be for natural curls. I was wondering if anyone has used it and how it worked?

Thanks
bird428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #2

KsLiZCuRlZ's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009

It has a little less hold than Mixed chicks on my head, but I didn't like either of them. My hair is thick and needs a lot of control. But its okay, I use of days when I know I'm going to wash hair again bc of sports or something.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
CG..yep that's me!

KsLiZCuRlZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Join Date: Aug 1999
Default Works beautifully

Hi. I love this product. It works beautifully on my 3C curls. I have never used Mixed Chicks, so, I can't really compare with that product. But, the Sally's version is so affordable. I don't mix it with anything. But, the hold, shine, feel and curl formation can't be beat. I also like the deep treatment.
3C and natural for 5 years.
msgdfx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

AllieCat0817's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007

Mixed Chicks leave in is a joke on my hair. So is Mixed Silk leave in. Dry crispy blah hair.

Mixed Chicks deep condish is the TRUTH on my hair, have repurchased several times and I find the cost nice at $11 for 8oz which lasts me a good while.

Mixed Silk deep condish is ok.. I liked it the first time I used it, and after that my hair felt coated and waxy and blah. But I will give it a re-whirl.
3c/4a Natural
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #5

Join Date: Aug 2011

jy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

LoveMeNaturale's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

Yea I like the mixed silk deep cond. But I only use it once a wk for a deep condition..its a great slip for me

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
LoveMeNaturale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

steph35's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

Only use the Deep Conditioner and it's an HG. As a deep treatment I mix it with coconut and jojoba oil, but I use it MOSTLY as a detangler and leave in and it works for me. I'm trying to go CG with the leave ins so I have to put it down for awhile but I'm not looking forward to it
steph35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #8

NLuvWithCurlz's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009

I used the leave in mixed with taliah wajiid and it is wonderful.......I treat it like a setting lotion. I put it in then let it sit before I put the tw in.....its soooo nice. The DC is the bizness. I'm getting more tomorrow:-)
Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS
NLuvWithCurlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #9

steph35's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

They had a sale at Sally's for all their products: five bucks. I bought two more of the MS deep con. I'm good!
steph35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #10

avid_naomi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011

I've had good luck with the silk elements stuff, I have 3b hair. I have never used mixed chicks, but I liked the mixed silk, but it isn't enough hold alone. I use it with gel or my hair gets frizzy fast. I actually like the silk elements mega silk is better as a leave in.
3b/corkicelli, color treated, loves moisture, s-wavies on top, tight cork screws underneath and on the sides
Product Junkie!
Modified CG, on hard/well water
avid_naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #11

hockeymomof3's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005

I am thinking about getting Mixed Silk -- I think it is on sale at my Sally's too - I like the idea of the pump and for $5, can't beat it...hopefully it will be enough to use alone but if not, I will put a little gel on top..I need a new leave in anyway...I'll have to report back when I try it. I am a 3b...trying to get back into wearing my hair curly after straightening it for awhile.
pw: curls
hockeymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #12

Lola Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Works great on my 3B hair!

My hair is extremely coarse and porous, and I haven't been able to find something that works well for keeping my hair moisturized without being too heavy. Apparently my hair is just right for the Mixed Silk products, because all of it works perfectly! It's really soft and glossy now and much more manageable, I can skip serum every once in a while without it looking like a total nightmare. If you have the same hair type, I would recommend giving it a try. Very much worth it for the price - $15.00 plus tax for everything on the $5.00 sale.
Lola Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #13

Jeliah's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011

I love these products especially the deep conditioner. The first time I used the leave- in conditioner it did make my hair kinda crunchy. But if I baggy overnight with EVOO then use the leave in that works nice for me. I still use just a little bit of gel for hold
Jeliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #14

l.deon's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007

Now I'm going to have to try this one!!! Anything that can potentially give me more defined curls is worth a whirl!
3B Mod CG
Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top!
l.deon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #15

Join Date: Sep 2011

I thought I read that sallys pulled mixed silk from the shelves. Lawsuits from mixed chicks.
mcheryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #16

I have tried both.
Mixed chicks was good for my hair, I have thick long hair and it worked to give me some hold when I used it with some of my other products, I also liked that it helped keep my curls in their well defined spirals I didn't get any build up and it actually lasted me a pretty long time.

I tried the Mixed Silk hoping that it would be as good...it wasn't. It is thinner and it doesn't give me enough hold and definition but I use other products with it and it works well enough but I wont be buying it again.

I am actually stopping in Florida next week on my way to other destinations and I was thinking of trying out another leave in...I have no idea what to get, there is so much info on here and so many products!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #17

Join Date: Dec 2012

It was my love!! The leave in but they took it off the shelf. I have used mixed chicks and I don't get as much slip, definition or silky feeling hair from mixed chicks. Plus it's too expensive. Now I'm trying to find a new leave in. Ugh!
Luvmycurls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #18

Join Date: Oct 2012

Maybe I'm a bit behind here and maybe this is already common knowledge but I read today that Mixed Chicks was in a two year process of suing Sally's Beauty Supply for their knock off product Mixed Silk and they finally won the lawsuit. So I guess Sally's has to take it off the shelf...just when I started using my bottle and starting to like it again. Sally's should have created their own packaging and brand name without trying to market their product as a knock off of Mixed Chicks, maybe if they had done that they wouldn't be in this legal mess.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #19

DepressedCurls's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by Ericachristina View Post
...yep. I found my half full bottle and started using it about a week ago. LOVED IT. Called sallys, and every single one said they no longer carried it. Not on the website, not on amazon, not on ebay, nowhere.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
DepressedCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #20

Originally Posted by DepressedCurls View Post
Originally Posted by Ericachristina View Post

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
Damn! They are really cracking down on getting rid of them. I blame Sally's for not packaging the conditioner with their own brand, instead the made the name and packaging so similar trying to profit from the Mixed Chicks reputation. The product itself is completely different there was no need for this.

Tags