Shea Moisture Curling Souffle

I really like it under eco styler. I think I will re-purchase. Eco usually leaves me feeling a bit dry, no matter what leave in I use, but with this it's been a winner
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
Style- UFD, As I Am Curling Gelly,
Sealant- Castor, sweet almond oil,Hairveda Vegetal soya oil KBB hair cream
Will try any CG product at least once.
Proud to be a PJ!

I got some of this stuff yesterday and I have to say I really like it! Yes it is a little bit sticky (its got agave nectar as a main ingredient, it is probably going to be sticky)but I don't touch my hair a lot during the day (and hopefully other people wont either) so the little bit of tackiness/stickiness really doesn't bother me. What it isn't is crunchy - I hate crunchy hair much more than slightly tacky hair. That being said - the texture in the container is odd at first, but i just rub my fingers over the surface and then rub my hands together to thoroughly emulsify and warm the product then scrunch into my hair - it makes my curlies really curly and bouncy and well defined, and makes my wavy bits look more curly - the hold is really good as far as I am concerned, it is great for second day hair too. I live in a place where the air is so dry it can suck all the moisture out of your body in no time flat, this really seems to help my hair hold onto some moisture. We will see if that changes as winter comes and the dew point drops to the teens but so far, I love this product. And it smells wonderful to boot!
curlimami likes this.
Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray

I have KLINGON HAIR

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
I'm another one that was not a fan of this gel. From the get, I disliked the texture - very unfinished jell-o like and oily. I used it how I use my other gels, on top of a leave-in (used the Yucca LI b/c it's light and I did not want something too moisturizing), and it was so sticky and gunky that I had to wash my hair - if my hair was shorter, I would have been able to put up with it, but when my hair is wet it's all over my back and shoulders, and I have a lot of hair.

My hair is coarse and dense, but fairly low-normal porosity, so I don't need a lot of sealing (if I seal at all, I usually just smooth some oil on my ends to help prevent breakage and increase lubrication).

I understand that a lot of folks are saying they like to use this gel under a heavier gel like a leave-in, but I'm not interested in using it this way - I have a TON of leave-ins that I love (conditioner junkie) and was hoping for a more natural styler that I can buy on the ground. Most of my mainly natural stylers (KCCC, Curly Magic, Komaza) I have to order and they are expensive. The stylers I buy on the ground, like Eco Styler, I love but cannot use daily because of the protein and after a few days they dry my hair out when I rinse.
I ended up returning the gel. I have 3A fine hair. I only used a small amount, and my hair dried crunchy and then became a mass of frizz! I really wish it had worked. I'd love to find a gel I can get in a drugstore that works well. I've tried tons of them.

Sherry
I just bought a jar of this stuff yesterday and used it this morning. I Co washed with Tresemme Naturals, used KCKT as my leave in, mixed the curling souffle with some LA Looks Curly gel in the palm of my hand and applied to soaking wet hair. Gently brushed through with a Denman, scrunched in some more of the mixture and plopped for about 20-30 minutes. Then diffused a little to take out the really wetness. I did not diffuse it completely dry. I let it air dry the rest of the way. After a couple of hours I scrunched out the crunch. It is a little heavy, but am really loving the results. I will cut back on the amount of souffle tomorrow that I mix with the gel, but today I don't hardly have any frizz and it is defined and shiny except for the area in the back that is damaged from wearing a bun for 8 years. But overall I really like the combo mixture. I will continue to play with it and mixing it with other stuff. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Shea Moisture Curling Souffle-october1120112.jpg   Shea Moisture Curling Souffle-october112011.jpg
Today I mixed the shea moisture curling souffle with the mixed chicks leave in conditioner and here r my results attached. Loving my hair today!!!
curlimami and mycurlytresses like this.
ooo! christi1972, pretty hair!
i have fine, 3b/3c curls and i just bought this today, because i was at a target that had it on the shelf. yay!
anyways, i couldn't wait to get home and try it, i decided not to wash my hair and just section it in 6 sections and spray it damp with my spray bottle...i only put a nickle size on each section of my hair and it made my curls look stretched out, but it was too shiny and stringy looking for me...and it felt gross and sticky, also i diffused it, (because i always diffuse to dry my hair) and to see the results of it dryed. eh! i didn't care for the results, but i liked the elongation it gave me.
so i ended up co-washing my hair, sectioning it the 6 sections, then i put in my kckt leave-in, detangled with my denman brush and i mixed the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie in my palm with some of the curling souffle (half and half).
this time it came out much better, less sticky less stringy, soft fluffy, all over defined curls...i feel it adds a little more definition and shine if i'm using it with the curl smoothie, oh and i usually when i diffuse i end up with some frizzies in random places, but with this i had no frizzies, all my hair is in defined curls!
hair type: 3b/3c

my website for my art (which is mostly afro inspired): www.lamedame.com
I read a lot of reviews before going out to purchase Shea Moisture products. My fear was that it would leave my hair feeling tacky and sticky. But I have really thick and dry 4b hair so I figured why not try it and see what happens. I also thought that this product may work better in conjunction with other shea moisture coconut and hibiscus products. I was right I used the hair milk first and the mist after (this morning). My hair is not too oily when I touch it. it's not completely dry after 13 hrs but its pretty typical for my hair to take that long to dry overnight so I'm not phased. All in all I like the souffle because it's not gel like. It's very loose and it doesn't take much. I have never tried kinky curly and I doubt I ever will since I have this. I may try the shampoo, conditioner, and smoothie next to see how it all works together. So far I'm satisfied. Then again I was using Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpting Cream-Gel and a silicone packed oil which looked quite shabby by day three.

Transitioning since: June 5, 2010
Shampoo: Aphogee moisture shampoo
Conditioner: Neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery hair mask (just ran out) or Nexxus Humectress
I love it! I used it the other day for the first time along with the smoothie and QB AHTB to seal. Here are the results:

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

I just started using this and I'm loving it! Normally I'm a Ouidad Climate Control all the way but I wanted to try something new and easier to locate (and a bit cheaper). The first day I tried it was eh, but I decided to give it a go on wet wet hair. Success!

I conditioned with Tresemme Naturals (loving this conditioner btw). I don't have time to bother with layering in products. My hair doesn't like all the manipulation and such. So I started applying in sections and finishing by scrunching in a bit on the ends. I then plopped for about 20 mins or so and then pinned the top sections back as I was going out. My hair always is wet for forever so that didn't bother me. I also don't mind some crunchiness.

That night I went out to see Soulive and Lettuce and danced my bum off followed up by some after partying. My hair stayed well defined, bouncy and shiny! Usually after a show like that it gets all poofy and undefined and I end up putting it up. The next day I spritzed and smoothed a bit and it was ready for day 2 at family parties.

I hate the smell but it fades well. I don't mind the texture and while it feels oily its not so bad. I got some on my shirt this morning and no stain! I usually wash my hands right after so that takes care of any weird feeling there.
mycurlytresses likes this.
Anyone have any ideas of how to use it up. I'm not crazy about it for wng styles but I don't hate it. Has anyone used it in any unconventional ways and really liked it?
I just tried this souffle today.. can't say that i'm a fan. The definition is nice, however my hair feels like there is glue stuck on my hair strands. And even though my head is completely dry, it is very sticky... gross .

I bought this on sale from Walgreens, but i'm just going to return it.. it really doesn't seem to work for me, and I didn't put a huge amount of it in my hair or anything.
Even though the reviews for this product weren't real great, I still went out and bought it because i really liked the curl enhancing smoothie. i have thick, shoulder-legnth, 3a hair. the first time i tried it, i HATED it. i applied it like a regular gel (just sort of scrunching it in) and the results were entremly crunchy, sticky, and uneven. so the next time i used it, i roughly sectioned my hair and tried smoothing it down the hair shaft, then scrunching. The results were great!! my hair is defined and mostly frizz free. the only problem i have with this product is that the crunch is really hair to scrunch out, but i'm working on that. this technique might not work for you, but it sure worked well for me!!
mycurlytresses likes this.
I love this stuff on my 2c hair. The texture does take some getting used to, it's not like "regular" gel. And you don't need near as much as you do with regular gel. I used too much the first time and thought I was going to hate it, but then the second time I used way less and was much happier. Plus, I get awesome second-day curls. I never used to wear my hair down on the second day, I'd either put it in a pony or pull it back with a headband, but after using this I'd dare say my second-day hair is better than wash day hair!

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use this with a leave-in because the gel itself is moisturizing so I haven't been using my regular curl and style milk along with it, but since it's winter I may try mixing some in with the gel and see what happens. Even if that doesn't work, I'll keep using the gel by itself.
mycurlytresses likes this.
Your hair is gorgeous!! Mine isn't even close to looking like that!
I had to post my 2 cents here. I got it before I read these reviews but read them before I tried it so I knew to approach it with a "less is more" attitude.

I basically do lahomajayne's technique with it - I've tried it a few different times now. Yesterday was my best results, I emulsified in my hands and raked in and then used a tiny bit more to scrunch in. Topped with a shot glass size squirt of HETT mousse and a few spritzes of SCC spray gel. So far I'm in love with this stuff. I always have a bit of wet and dry spiderweb frizz, like stray hairs that won't behave and it doesn't do much to fix those. However, it's the single best curl enhancer I've tried to date, over 8 months of experimentation. I had spirals I haven't seen in years, and they held up to yet another day of high winds.

The texture is oily, I figured it would be with all the oils in the ingredients. I don't find it sticky or crunchy. I'm going to keep playing with it and increasing usage by little amounts each day till I find my threshold for it - it either feels sticky or gross and producty, or I hit my point of diminishing returns.

I have fine hair and not a lot of it and was afraid of weighing it down with all the oils but honestly, I'm happily surprised so far :-D
fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel

Your hair looks great (lCL0706) in the photos. I've not tried any Shea Moisture products....but have eyed them in the store (thinking they may be too heavy for me). But, your hair texture is very similary to mine, as well at your wave/curl pattern. It's looks like you found a combo that works for you. Yea!
2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
Leave in
: As I Am
Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all

Last edited by NocurlB4babies; 03-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Thanks! Although those pics are old & before i tried SMCS i need to update the pics

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Gels: SCC spray gel

LOVE it. Using Souffle only, no other product on my very long 3a hair. Applied a very small amount by wetting my hands w/product and raking through wet hair. I'll bet I used a gumball size amount on my whole head (and I have really long hair).
mycurlytresses likes this.
I waited months to buy this after all the awful reviews. Then I read about how glorious it was with the CES. I didn't like the Smoothie at first and it lay in my closet for months until I heard about mixing it w/Eco Styler Olive Oil. That worked really well. So I took the plunge with the Souffle. I had heard so much about how sticky this was so I was prepared and used it not just sparingly, but stingily. I did a braid out on my 4b extremely coarse hair. I must say I like it a lot. Biggest pro is the shine. I have hold and definition and it wasn't tacky because I used so little. I used only enough to glaze my fingertips and then mixed the smoothie. When I took my braids down, I could not believe how that little bit made such a big difference. To me that's a plus because it will last a LONG time. I have to say I like that. It will be in my rotation for sure.
Cerendipity likes this.