Shea Moisture Curling Souffle

Christi and juanab , thanks so much for posting pics! Both of you have GORGEOUS curls.

And thanks to everyone who put detailed instructions on ho they applied it, I neeed step by step sometimes
All bets off on finding the perfect products for the curls - focusing on regrowing (50%) hair loss due to
A) Depo Provera (injectable birth control)
B) seborrheic dermatitis
C) stress/diet

Originally Posted by curlimami
Curli, you are welcome!

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

The jar says to use sparingly because it's very moisturizing. I love this product. I use very little and it gives me great shine. It works even better if you use it with the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie.
Originally Posted by Redfleur
Hmmmm....yall are gonna make me give this a chance one day.

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
I've been using the Smoothie with pretty good success. I usually use about a quarter or more size dollop, emulsify it in my hands and rake it through.

Then I use one of the CJ products, usually CIAB. I use it pretty liberally and I scrunch it over the smoothie and then diffuse and air-dry.

I want to give the souffle a try.

Do you recommend that I use the souffle completely on it's own, or can I rake in the smoothie and then uses the souffle where I normally use the CIAB?

I'd love to be able to use only one product, but I seem to need some kind of cream to keep the frizzies down.

TIA for the advice.
Just purchashad the curling souffle a couple of days ago and I was very excited about the anticipated results of my wash and go but boy was I wrong. First off the consistency is very slimey, almost like jello that hasnt completely set. Once you get over the weird texture of the product then its on to deal with the oily, sticky, film like feeling on your hands and hair. So after being partially turned off by the aforementioned characteristics is placed the product in my hair. Now let me say that I just did my BC a month ago so I have about 3-4 inches of hair on my head. After applying the product to my hair 9 hours later my hair was still wet. Not only was my hair still wet the product started dripping down my neck like a jerry curl activator and becuase of the agave it left my neck and hands feeling very sticky. This product was a total disappointment for me.
Originally Posted by ayanna30
I had to laugh because I too was offended by the stickiness... However once I got over it... I can say I will definitely use it again... My first try was combining it with the Ecostyler Olive Oil gel... great definition and hold... I liked the BIG hair look and it lasted nearly 5 days... However when combined with Soft Sheen Carsons Roots of Nature Mango oil & cupuacu butter feather whipped curl cream, It has lots of stretch... more of a wave than a curl, but I like the hang and the hair is very moisturized.. My hair takes 2-3days to air dry but I'm kinda use to it...I'd love to hear how you journey through the bc era... Thanks for posting your review.
I love this product!! It is the only product that I have found recently that is eliminating my frizz. Yesterday it rained all day here and I didn't have any frizz whatsoever. I was so surprised. My hair is very full and past BSL and I only have to sue a very little bit. I cowash like normal with VO5 and RO with GVP conditioning balm. I add a very very small amount (probably dime size or less) of SM Curl and Style Milk, the SM Curling Souffle (maybe a little bit bigger than a dime but less than nickle size), scrunch and plop. I then add a small bit of gel (usually AIF or BRHG) for a little extra hold and diffuse for maybe 5 minutes. I top it off with a little bit of oil (usually avocado or sweet almond) and I am ready to go. I love it! I am curious to try the Smootie to see how that will work as well!
I love Shea Moisture products, especially their African black soap cond. but I didn't like this one.
The smell of the curling souffle was lovely. I actually loved the way the product felt (it was weird and cool!). I didn't put too much on my hair, thinking that would work better. But it didn't. It added shine but it felt greasy. I tried using the product alone, with other products, but nothing worked.
Oh well.
Taneisha242 likes this.
I'm never using chemicals on my hair again.

Just like Miss Jessie's curly pudding is not for every hair type the Shea moisture curling souffle is not for every hair type. I have 4b hair & my hair loves the extra oils & moisture from the souffle since my hair is naturally dry. For someone else with wavy or fine hair this product is probably gonna be too oily & too heavy
Originally Posted by KurlyKesha
i have 4b hair too im not sure what products really work for my hair type whats some styles and products that you use.
I still use this products however very little cause it goes a long way. Some hate the oil feeling but it really depends how you use it.

Check out my review. Thanks for the support in advance!
SheaMoisture Curling Souffle Review - YouTube

2years Naptural. Protective Style is my Middle Name. I don't let laziness hit me when it comes to hair maintenance. I'm a Nappy Maniac. Lol

Staples
Homemade Whipped Shea Butter
Aloe Vera Juice
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Argan Oil
Homemade Leave-In Conditioner
Originally Posted by Redfleur
Omg, yes! I have had trouble with my braidouts/twistouts for the longest. I had been using the smoothie (along with other products) but I wasn't using it correctly--well at least correctly for me. Then I started using the smoothie alone for my twistouts and the results were better. I saw the soufflé and wanted to try it. I tried using it on wet hair under the smoothie and my twistouts have been the bomb ever since. I do agree with some other comments though. You do in my opinion have to have hair that needs alot of moisture. Works for me. My hair laps it right up.
I have fine hair and low porosity and I loved the smoothie and souffle combination. I used it after a day of swimming and sulfate free shampoo so I think the extra moisture really helped my hair. I used quite a bit and had no problems, but again this may have to be adjusted when I used it on fully moisturized normal hair.
3a/3b, Fine Hair, Low porosity, Medium Density
Poo- CHS Treatment Shampoo
Low-poo- Devacurl Low Poo
RO- Devacurl One Condition
Leave-In- KCKT/Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
I just purchased this product today and from the first use I loveeeeeeeeeee it, but if I change my mind over time I'll be back with another opinion lol. When I searched for reviews and found them I was afraid to even take a chance with this, but for the most part people were complaining about something that should be obvious which is the stickiness it made me want to go uhhh hello people if you read the ingredients you will see that it has agave and sugar cane extract in it. It's a natural product sooooo it's gonna take on the same feeling you would get from the products they come from. With that being said I went on and got it and I'm glad I did I love how soft it makes my hair.

I mix it with SM Styling Milk and it cancels out the stickiness. And on my 3B hair a little goes a long way. Was able to get that full bodied look that I love without the frizz and looking like I didn't have product in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
Taneisha242 likes this.
I love the SM curl & style milk, and have been wanting to try the souffle (but for whatever reason, it's hard to find on the ground here). I was wondering how it compares to KCCC? Seems like it might be a similar consistency, and the ingredients look similar, with the exception that the souffle has oils (and I would guess that makes it more moisturizing).
2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate

My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!

CG since 12/29/2011
I like the product as well! It works well on mu natural hair, as well as kinky extensions!
This has got to be the weirdest product I've ever tried. The stickiness didn't show up until AFTER my hair dried completely. I actually like that it didn't feel completely dry, but it was. I didn't care for the stickiness, however.

I'm going to give it another shot using less souffle than I did last time and top with my smoothie.
My hair: thick, medium/coarse, high porosity in the crown naturally, normal porosity everywhere else.

Currently using...
Poo: Any sulfate free or low sulfate poo
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: Camille Rose Moisture Milk
DC: Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea DC
Stylers: Xtreme Wetline gel
Oils: EVCO
Moisturizer: Oyin Hair Dew/watered down CR Moisture Milk
Sealant: Oyin pomades or JC Nourish and Shine
I really love this, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the right way to use it on my hair. Too much, and I get great hold, but it's too heavy and coated-feeling and I feel like it weighs my curls down. I got great definition, but I didn't like the way my hair felt. Too little, and not enough hold - my curls fell out and my whole head went flat by the end of the day - I even tried mixing it with a gel to see if that would help out, but alas, no luck.

I'm going to keep playing with it, since it seems like all hair types are getting good results from it... hopefully I find what it is I need to do!
3A/3B, m/ciii, (3B corkscrews around my face and hairline, 3A botticelli curls around the rest of my head)
Low Porosity
High Density

Mama to:
3B 4 year old girl - medium density, porosity not yet determined,
(and 3 year old boy - slightly curly, maybe 2A/2B)
I'm still loving this product. I think people give up on it too quickly before they experiment with different ways to use it. Sometimes I use it alone, but most of the time I mix it with the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie then add a little eco styler gel.

mycurlytresses and Hootenanny like this.

It has made it to HG status for me! I absolutely love it. I used it as part of the LOC system (liquid, oil, cream) I use it as my oil/gel.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal