-   -   Shea Moisture Curling Souffle (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/132720-shea-moisture-curling-souffle.html)

ayanna30 09-07-2011 10:58 PM

Shea Moisture Curling Souffle

Just purchashad the curling souffle a couple of days ago and I was very excited about the anticipated results of my wash and go but boy was I wrong. First off the consistency is very slimey, almost like jello that hasnt completely set. Once you get over the weird texture of the product then its on to deal with the oily, sticky, film like feeling on your hands and hair. So after being partially turned off by the aforementioned characteristics is placed the product in my hair. Now let me say that I just did my BC a month ago so I have about 3-4 inches of hair on my head. After applying the product to my hair 9 hours later my hair was still wet. Not only was my hair still wet the product started dripping down my neck like a jerry curl activator and becuase of the agave it left my neck and hands feeling very sticky. This product was a total disappointment for me.

wavynwild16 09-08-2011 01:54 PM

IWW. I read lots of reviews on the 4a board about how slimy and oily it felt. I WAS looking forward to this...but now, not so much! I read that using a very little bit of the stuff helped, but I am usually heavy(er)-handed with my products. :) Thanks for the review!

kellysmum 09-08-2011 02:05 PM

Wow. I'm glad I read your review. I've been running around to Target stores all over trying to find this stuff, but if it's greasy (which I have seen and heard on other reviews of the souffle), then I want no part of it. Thank you for saving me the trouble and the money.

NYCgirl 09-08-2011 04:17 PM

I bought a jar of this over the weekend but haven't really tried it yet. I did, however, immediately get an idea of the consistency of this stuff. At first it seems just like jello........that hasn't quite finished setting. I did have to "punch" my finger through it initially and then scoop the product out with my finger. The product is oily for sure. The little that I did scoop out on the end of my finger, I applied to a single clump/ringlet and I got immedate and great definition, I have to say. Since it has been ridiculously humid lately, I didn't bother to really try using this on my entire head. I'm thinking this may be a better product to use in the drier months of Fall/Winter when the extra oils can be beneficial. In general, my hair likes oils, its just a matter of HOW MUCH!!!!! Like KCCC, this may be one of those finicky products.

ayanna30 09-08-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by kellysmum (Post 1761510)

You are very welcome i just returned the product this afternoon and it still felt very sticky and oily even the second day

ayanna30 09-08-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by NYCgirl (Post 1761630)

Yes my description was also likened to jello that hadn't finished setting. I must agree that my hair did have good curl definition but it still had the sticky oily residue even a day later and left a film on my hands whenever I touched my hair or my hair touched my skin. I live in NYC as well so I underestand your idea of using it during the Fall/Winter months when the oil will be essential. I hope it works for you better than it worked for me

TaraVictoria 09-10-2011 11:15 AM

I just used it for the first time too.. I liked how the consistency felt but it did give an oily feeling/look to my curls ... I do want to "test" it a little more though. I LOVE their smoothie - that does wonders for my hair. I know that doesn't mean ALL of their stuff HAS to work for me - lol! although I'd like it too! but the shine spray and the milk weren't a great hit either - they went back after day 1!
The souffle does say to work it on hair damp, wet or dry for different effects - so I'll give it one more try! :) Although making my own flax seed gel is probably cheaper and it WORKS .

IAmJordanNicole 09-11-2011 10:31 PM

I bought this a couple of days ago after reading many mixed reviews. I agree with the strange texture...I was a little put off my it at first. It is a bit oily once in my hair, however, I have very dry hair so my hair actually loves the extra moisture. It adds great definition and no crunch...

So far I love it. I suggest that you try it, I know that target will take it back if you don't like it, so there is no risk.

Embre 09-25-2011 09:26 AM

I Like It!

My local walgreens is now stocking this product, so I finally got to try it. It was probably good that there was a delay in my ability to purchase, since it gave me an opportunity to check out the reviews.

I was leary of trying it due to the number of bad reviews I have seen, but happened to stumble on a few 3a curly comments that were actually favorable. The general consensus seems to be that moderation is the key.

So far I have only used it once, and the results were really good. I mixed a rather small amount with my LI (I have discovered that due to the fine texture and sparse nature of my hair, applying my curl styling product mixed in with my LI works much better for distribution), and topped with my favorite gel. Diffused as usual, and came out with beautiful shiney curls. No greasy texture, just soft and shiney hair.

Today I think I will try it as a finishing product to sotc.

If you have tried this product and found it to oily, I suggest giving it another shot, and experimenting with quantity and application. :thumbright:

NLuvWithCurlz 09-25-2011 07:35 PM

Yes I totally agree. A little dab a do ya......I love this stuff. This mixed with my taliah wajiid...ooh u betta shut yo mouth!!! :-X
Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

pjjosephgiss 09-25-2011 10:05 PM

I used the souffle for the first time today. I used it without a leave in, with Curl Junkie Curl queen gel on top. It is not totally dry all over yet, but I start in the back, and that part appears to have dried soft with good hold. I think the CQ provides hold, and the souffle keeps down the CQ crunch. Real test comes when we fluff in the am! I will keep you posted!

pjjosephgiss 09-26-2011 10:48 AM

Update- day 2

Hi!
this is day two of my souffle and CQ gel combo, and I have to say, it is ok. It was a bit sticky when I got up this morning, and I refreshed with a bit of CJCCCCL, and went out the door. We are having very un-fall like, humid weather here in NYC, but I am in my office now, and it is not sticky, very defined, and actually a bit crunchy in spots...I think I must have been really heavy handed with the CQ gel there! IMO, this is not a styler- I think I will use it as a leave in under hard hold gels to soften them, and provide curl definition, which it does very well. A little goes a very long way with this, so if you apply it like a styler, you can expect the greasy stringy look. I will update as to how long my hair stays!:D

KurlyKesha 09-26-2011 11:41 AM

Just like Miss Jessie's curly pudding is not for every hair type the Shea moisture curling souffle is not for every hair type. I have 4b hair & my hair loves the extra oils & moisture from the souffle since my hair is naturally dry. For someone else with wavy or fine hair this product is probably gonna be too oily & too heavy

TaraVictoria 09-29-2011 06:31 AM

and that's exactly right, Kinky4besha... I LOVE their smoothie and it works wonders on my hair but this souffle is back to Target today - tried it a few times and it's way too oily... I didn't think it would be since their smoothie worked so well, but so much for "hoping"! :) I do like the consistency though, but its just not for my hair at all....

currrlygurrrly 10-01-2011 06:22 PM

I bought the SheaMoisture Souffle today, and I actually really liked it. I agree that when you just touch the product, it does give an oily feel, but I used it after I co-washed, and conditioned, then souffle'd. It worked well for my curls, and the temps we have here. It did not feel greasy or oily at all when it air-dried. I have great formation, and soft curls.
Definitely will try using it again, but I am a "liker" of this product.
(I do love to use souffles, smoothies, creams and butters, so maybe that is why this works well with my hair)
It is on my list of "good products for my hair. I will keep you posted on my future uses.

pjjosephgiss 10-02-2011 09:50 PM

I used it for the second time today- just a bit as a leave in under blue Eco. So far so good. I love the way the souffle defines my curls. Like I posted previously, if used as a styler, for me, it is too much, but as a leave in, I get defined, moisturized hair.

currrlygurrrly 10-03-2011 02:53 PM

I used the Souffle again, today.... under the Smoothie, and I just have to say..... I love the curls it gives me! Super shiny, well formed curls that are soft with absolutely NO crunch! I am sold.....
No greasy feel AT ALL!

NLuvWithCurlz 10-03-2011 06:49 PM

Yeah I used it last night on wet hair and it didn't take all day to dry. It dried very smooth and very defined. Not oily or sticky at all. I love this stuff.

My hair wets when water touches it !;-)

natural gypsy 10-04-2011 11:45 AM

Shea Moisture Curl Souffle

10/04/11

I have tired the souffle and personally I love it:blob8: I have 4a hair with 3c in the back and nape. You cannot be heavy handed with this product. After shampoo and condition ( using SM coconut and hibiscus) , I applied SMHB curl milk to moisturize and used about a quarter size amount and applied all over my hair. I did large twist and let dry. The lest you use the quicker it dries. After untwisting I picked out my hair with my fingers and used SM Elixir to hold set. Initially it will feel little tacky but that goes away when it completing dries. My hair is very very so I have a lot of shrinkage. but my curls are so defined that i don' t care. At night, I cover my head with a satin bonnet and in the morning use an little elixir and I am ought the door.And because there is no build up, I can go at least a week and half before washing my hair. Don't give up on this product, just experiment with it. Remember, what works one way for one, may not work for another. find your own way

currrlygurrrly 10-04-2011 12:46 PM

Today was day 3 with the Souffle, and I did notice that it was getting a little "filmy". No prob.... I just co-washed the roots and started again.... worked well again. I like!