Shea Moisture Curling Souffle

Just purchashad the curling souffle a couple of days ago and I was very excited about the anticipated results of my wash and go but boy was I wrong. First off the consistency is very slimey, almost like jello that hasnt completely set. Once you get over the weird texture of the product then its on to deal with the oily, sticky, film like feeling on your hands and hair. So after being partially turned off by the aforementioned characteristics is placed the product in my hair. Now let me say that I just did my BC a month ago so I have about 3-4 inches of hair on my head. After applying the product to my hair 9 hours later my hair was still wet. Not only was my hair still wet the product started dripping down my neck like a jerry curl activator and becuase of the agave it left my neck and hands feeling very sticky. This product was a total disappointment for me.
IWW. I read lots of reviews on the 4a board about how slimy and oily it felt. I WAS looking forward to this...but now, not so much! I read that using a very little bit of the stuff helped, but I am usually heavy(er)-handed with my products. Thanks for the review!
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
Wow. I'm glad I read your review. I've been running around to Target stores all over trying to find this stuff, but if it's greasy (which I have seen and heard on other reviews of the souffle), then I want no part of it. Thank you for saving me the trouble and the money.
Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
I bought a jar of this over the weekend but haven't really tried it yet. I did, however, immediately get an idea of the consistency of this stuff. At first it seems just like jello........that hasn't quite finished setting. I did have to "punch" my finger through it initially and then scoop the product out with my finger. The product is oily for sure. The little that I did scoop out on the end of my finger, I applied to a single clump/ringlet and I got immedate and great definition, I have to say. Since it has been ridiculously humid lately, I didn't bother to really try using this on my entire head. I'm thinking this may be a better product to use in the drier months of Fall/Winter when the extra oils can be beneficial. In general, my hair likes oils, its just a matter of HOW MUCH!!!!! Like KCCC, this may be one of those finicky products.
Originally Posted by kellysmum
You are very welcome i just returned the product this afternoon and it still felt very sticky and oily even the second day
boucles likes this.
Originally Posted by NYCgirl

Yes my description was also likened to jello that hadn't finished setting. I must agree that my hair did have good curl definition but it still had the sticky oily residue even a day later and left a film on my hands whenever I touched my hair or my hair touched my skin. I live in NYC as well so I underestand your idea of using it during the Fall/Winter months when the oil will be essential. I hope it works for you better than it worked for me
I just used it for the first time too.. I liked how the consistency felt but it did give an oily feeling/look to my curls ... I do want to "test" it a little more though. I LOVE their smoothie - that does wonders for my hair. I know that doesn't mean ALL of their stuff HAS to work for me - lol! although I'd like it too! but the shine spray and the milk weren't a great hit either - they went back after day 1!
The souffle does say to work it on hair damp, wet or dry for different effects - so I'll give it one more try! Although making my own flax seed gel is probably cheaper and it WORKS .
Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
I bought this a couple of days ago after reading many mixed reviews. I agree with the strange texture...I was a little put off my it at first. It is a bit oily once in my hair, however, I have very dry hair so my hair actually loves the extra moisture. It adds great definition and no crunch...

So far I love it. I suggest that you try it, I know that target will take it back if you don't like it, so there is no risk.
My local walgreens is now stocking this product, so I finally got to try it. It was probably good that there was a delay in my ability to purchase, since it gave me an opportunity to check out the reviews.

I was leary of trying it due to the number of bad reviews I have seen, but happened to stumble on a few 3a curly comments that were actually favorable. The general consensus seems to be that moderation is the key.

So far I have only used it once, and the results were really good. I mixed a rather small amount with my LI (I have discovered that due to the fine texture and sparse nature of my hair, applying my curl styling product mixed in with my LI works much better for distribution), and topped with my favorite gel. Diffused as usual, and came out with beautiful shiney curls. No greasy texture, just soft and shiney hair.

Today I think I will try it as a finishing product to sotc.

If you have tried this product and found it to oily, I suggest giving it another shot, and experimenting with quantity and application.
Inimitable and curlimami like this.
Shannon

CG since Oct 2010
3a, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Most frequently used cleansing/conditioning products:
  • BioInfusion Cond. Balm
  • Shea Moisture Restorative Cond.
  • V05 Cond.(moisture milks)
Most frequently used styling products:
  • Shea Moisture Curl Enhansing Smoothy
  • Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • Shea Moisture Curling Souflee
  • Curl Keeper
  • Design Essentials Naturals Moisturizing Lotion
  • AG:Recoil
  • CJ CCCL
HG: None as of yet
Yes I totally agree. A little dab a do ya......I love this stuff. This mixed with my taliah wajiid...ooh u betta shut yo mouth!!! :-X
Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS
I used the souffle for the first time today. I used it without a leave in, with Curl Junkie Curl queen gel on top. It is not totally dry all over yet, but I start in the back, and that part appears to have dried soft with good hold. I think the CQ provides hold, and the souffle keeps down the CQ crunch. Real test comes when we fluff in the am! I will keep you posted!
Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish

Hi!
this is day two of my souffle and CQ gel combo, and I have to say, it is ok. It was a bit sticky when I got up this morning, and I refreshed with a bit of CJCCCCL, and went out the door. We are having very un-fall like, humid weather here in NYC, but I am in my office now, and it is not sticky, very defined, and actually a bit crunchy in spots...I think I must have been really heavy handed with the CQ gel there! IMO, this is not a styler- I think I will use it as a leave in under hard hold gels to soften them, and provide curl definition, which it does very well. A little goes a very long way with this, so if you apply it like a styler, you can expect the greasy stringy look. I will update as to how long my hair stays!
Proud to be a PJ!

Just like Miss Jessie's curly pudding is not for every hair type the Shea moisture curling souffle is not for every hair type. I have 4b hair & my hair loves the extra oils & moisture from the souffle since my hair is naturally dry. For someone else with wavy or fine hair this product is probably gonna be too oily & too heavy
and that's exactly right, Kinky4besha... I LOVE their smoothie and it works wonders on my hair but this souffle is back to Target today - tried it a few times and it's way too oily... I didn't think it would be since their smoothie worked so well, but so much for "hoping"! I do like the consistency though, but its just not for my hair at all....
Tara - have a curly day!!!

Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

for the love of the lens...

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
I bought the SheaMoisture Souffle today, and I actually really liked it. I agree that when you just touch the product, it does give an oily feel, but I used it after I co-washed, and conditioned, then souffle'd. It worked well for my curls, and the temps we have here. It did not feel greasy or oily at all when it air-dried. I have great formation, and soft curls.
Definitely will try using it again, but I am a "liker" of this product.
(I do love to use souffles, smoothies, creams and butters, so maybe that is why this works well with my hair)
It is on my list of "good products for my hair. I will keep you posted on my future uses.
pjjosephgiss likes this.
LETTING MY SILVER SHINE THROUGH!
Routine now is Jessicurl Cream Wash, Too Shea (also as a LI), Rocking Ringlets and Confident Curls (Really love this line!) Using Jane Carter Nourish and Shine Pomade as a sealer (great stuff)!!.
Sleep overnight in CJ Repair Me & Deep Fix for deep conditioning. Also, I like the CJ Honey Butta as a LI/styler.

CG since 09
I used it for the second time today- just a bit as a leave in under blue Eco. So far so good. I love the way the souffle defines my curls. Like I posted previously, if used as a styler, for me, it is too much, but as a leave in, I get defined, moisturized hair.
curlimami likes this.
Proud to be a PJ!

I used the Souffle again, today.... under the Smoothie, and I just have to say..... I love the curls it gives me! Super shiny, well formed curls that are soft with absolutely NO crunch! I am sold.....
No greasy feel AT ALL!

CG since 09
Yeah I used it last night on wet hair and it didn't take all day to dry. It dried very smooth and very defined. Not oily or sticky at all. I love this stuff.

My hair wets when water touches it !
FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS
10/04/11

I have tired the souffle and personally I love it I have 4a hair with 3c in the back and nape. You cannot be heavy handed with this product. After shampoo and condition ( using SM coconut and hibiscus) , I applied SMHB curl milk to moisturize and used about a quarter size amount and applied all over my hair. I did large twist and let dry. The lest you use the quicker it dries. After untwisting I picked out my hair with my fingers and used SM Elixir to hold set. Initially it will feel little tacky but that goes away when it completing dries. My hair is very very so I have a lot of shrinkage. but my curls are so defined that i don' t care. At night, I cover my head with a satin bonnet and in the morning use an little elixir and I am ought the door.And because there is no build up, I can go at least a week and half before washing my hair. Don't give up on this product, just experiment with it. Remember, what works one way for one, may not work for another. find your own way
Today was day 3 with the Souffle, and I did notice that it was getting a little "filmy". No prob.... I just co-washed the roots and started again.... worked well again. I like!