Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel!

Wavynwild, it seems pretty hit or miss for me. I tried it once and loved it and the next time it wasn't as great. I think I used too much the second time and it flaked really bad. I'm having a hard time figuring out the amount and what to use under it.
Mod CG since 8/2010
2cFii (fia), normal/normal, protein junkie. Itchy and allergic wavy!
Growing out
pw: mountaincurl
Originally Posted by Mountaincurl
Aw, well that stinks! I've never really had it flake, either, and I use a lot. Hmmm. If it helps any, I find that it's a great stand alone product, and I don't need to use anything underneath. Oh, and I don't know how much you used, but I use about three good half dollar-sized amounts. I got a really good hair day yesterday by scrunching out all the water from my hair (no LI or anything) and scrunching in the gel, plopping, and pixie diffusing until it was almost dry. I hope some of this helps you, but I know we have totally different properties!

Oh, and an update about the scent -- I've actually grown to really like the scent... I almost crave it from time to time now. Ha ha! Also, I used some of this yesterday and got a great hair day. Sadly, it wasn't all the way dry before I went to bed, but I am too scared to look in the mirror to see how it turned out.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Ingredients:
Aqua (Water) , Sorbitol , Glycerin , Dehydroxanthan Gum , Benzyl Alcohol , Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate , Fragrance , Limonene , Citronellol , Linalool , Acacia Senegal (Acacia Senegal Gum)

this should probably be on the 1st page it's the most crucial part of a product review...

Glycerin causes flaking it might be the combo with your LI
2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
I did not know that about glycerin. Forgive my ignorance, but why does glycerin sometimes cause flaking?
Mod CG since 8/2010
2cFii (fia), normal/normal, protein junkie. Itchy and allergic wavy!
Growing out
pw: mountaincurl
Originally Posted by Mountaincurl
I don't understand the science of it, just have done a lot of reading on the 4's boards and blogs. My hair is finicky with glycerin it only likes it in the Summer but I can take low doses of it in normal dews. If you do search maybe you can find more info but what I have learned is that glycerin when combined with the wrong ingredients causes flaking. I don't know that it's the glycerin per se, just that it doesn't play well with everything and in high doses can cause flaking. Maybe try this gel without a LI you may not even need a LI anyway with your hair being that short and all.

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
Ha! Thank you for the ingredients! That would've been nice to add to my review!!

I didn't know glycerin caused flaking, either! I seem to have a bit of a slight flaking problem with all my products, but the PC doesn't really do it to me. Hmmm.

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
I LOVE this gel it is definitely my favourite! It's not crunchy or flaky and makes my hair super soft and defined. Very good gel for high humidity climates.
3c Hair
Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
CG since August 2011
Loving my hair!!!
I used it today it was the cream type gel. I love it! I had such a great hair day today! This is my favorite gel the rest don't do much for my hair. I have really nice clump curls. I only used about two quarter sizes on my entire head.
coarse, thick, fine, low porosity

currently using:

Shampoo: Creme of Nature (red bottle) 2-3 times a week

Leave In: Givonnia Lustra Silk Shea and Mango

Gel: biotera gel, AOMM gel, Loreal Tightly Wound Gel, L'Oreal Melting Gel
AHHH!!! So glad you ladies like it, too!!! All this PC love makes me happy! I really haven't been using this lately because of OC'ing (it's gotten pretty bad, to the point that if I use any products without protein, my hair feels gross and way too soft and limp ), but I really hope that after a few PT's and maybe ACV rinses I will be able to at least rotate this into my routine.

ETA: Oh, and Unique87 -- did you mean the Pure Clean Curl Cream? I like that stuff, too!! Makes my hair nice and soft, especially on 2nd day. It's good stuff!!

So is anyone finding that their hair is hard to dry with this stuff?

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!

So is anyone finding that their hair is hard to dry with this stuff?
Originally Posted by wavynwild16
mwahaha maybe this would be a good time to pick up and try BRHG??
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Thanks so much for this rec--I'm on an unheard of 3rd day of great hair! I bet I could have 4th day hair, but I just can't not wash my hair that long. Love it!
After reading some of the posts on this thread I decided to give this a try. I literally just started CG and the Pure Clean was what I decided to try in my hair for the first day. The texture was weird, and the prolonged drying time nearly drove me insane, but not only did I end up with really well-defined curls, but I even managed some amazing second day hair.

This is what I ended up with after my hair finally dried. Keep in mind that this was right after my final sulfate shampooing. Hopefully the results will improve as I get a better feel for what I'm doing. Still deciding if the defined curls make up for the lengthy drying time
Attached Thumbnails
Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel!-img-20111105-00064-2-.jpg
AR -- HAHAHAHA!!! Too funny!!! That is so humorously true! Maybe I will try BRHG!

Screamingclock -- I am so happy it worked!! Woo hoo!

Corrina -- your hair is gorgeous!!! And not to sound vain or anything, but it looks a LOT like mine! I am so glad this thread gave you a little more push to try it and you liked it! I go through the long drying times, too. Not fun! The results are usually worth it, though. If it helps any, I JUST tried EcoStyler Krystal today, and the results were super comparable to the PC gel, minus the long drying time! I LOVE the stuff (ha, one day and I'm already vouching for it! :P), and it's got protein!

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
Ok, so I normally hate Garnier products, but I could not resist because of the rave reviews on here! Plus, the ingredients didn't sound too bad.

First of all, let me say that the texture is very thin, I usually use Eco Styler, so it's definitely a nice change from the gunky gel. I have thick 3b hair, so I need to use a lot of product in my hair in order to get the results I want.

With this gel, the results were noticeable. I had really defined, and shiny curls. The smell was kind of citrus-y, but it faded. However, the best part is the second day hair. I think that's the reason why I love this gel so much. Second day hair was phenomenal for me. I usually don't get that with Eco Styler unless I spray my hair with water and reapply the gel. I didn't need to put ANYTHING in my hair for Garnier. I'm really happy with this gel, now I want to experiment more with it.

The only con for this product is the amount they give you, but I'm not complaining too much because it's cheap. Oh, and it's doesn't feel too heavy either.
Alborosie -- I'm glad you liked it! I find the texture strange -- I don't even know how to describe it. It's like it's thin and goopy all at the same time! I kinda like it, though, which is kinda strange...I like the thick globby stuff that gets the clumps going, normally! I am experimenting with EcoStyler, too, and I am thinking I will need to start adding some more gel on 2nd day, too. Doesn't really bother me, though.

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
After all the great reviews on NC I decided to try the Garnier Pure Clean Gel as the late fall/early winter low dews here have been wreaking havoc on my curls.

I LOVE it! First of all, the price - I think I paid $4.50 for a bottle at Target.

Second, I have great defined curls. Lots more crunch than I am am used to with Deva Angel, but it SOTC'd easily and I have great hold, which is what I'm needing now.

So far, great day 1 hair - we'll see what it looks like tomorrow AM, but for now I'm hooked!
CG since September 2011

Co-wash: OC
Cond/Leave-in: OC
Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

Yay, Debbah!! Your post made me excited! I like success stories. You still loving it?

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
Just as an update...I've had to retire this gel for the winter. It just wasn't doing it for me. I've switched over to the Aussie Instant Freeze for the low dews Pittsburgh is finally getting. I do miss the insane waves I was getting
Mod CG
Normal 2b, my hair loves protein right now!

LowPoo/NoPoo: Renpure (green or red), BB, Deva NoPoo
RO: OneC, Y2Cu
Leave In: Y2Cu, CG Beauticulrs
Style: CIAB, Garnier pure clean gel, AIF, SS CEJ, CCCL
PT: Ion Effective Care or IAGirls' PT
i absolutely hate this gel! LOL
cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance
2B/2C hair!

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
DT: Lustrasilk + honey
LI: KCKT, GVP CB
Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
Oils: Coconut
I love the PureClean. It takes forever to dry though, but my hair always takes forever to dry (And if I try to speed the process much at all I get horrible frizz). The price is right too! I use it with the cream, works fantastic.

I did notice the dry time though. Much longer then normal, I just plop twice, and use clips to prevent flat top. Usually dry by mid afternoon, but looks dry by mid-morning, so I don't mind (except I like to touch my hair, lol).