Old 10-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Join Date: Sep 2010
Default Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel!

I haven't seen any threads about this except to ask how hard its hold is, so I thought I should start one! I picked this gel (and the curl cream) up a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what's in it that makes my hair curl so well (maybe it's the acacia gum? Who knows!), but my hair curls like CRAZY when I put this stuff in. And I'm not just talking about it looking really curly after it dries. As soon as I put it in, my hair gets insanely curly! It's pretty cool! I've never had that happen before. Anyway, I find this gel to be a lot different than other gels -- the consistency, how it works, the hold, and things like that. It has little quirks and different ways that it works. The consistency is strange -- it's almost like it's very goopy, but thin at the same time. It's SUPER hard to explain! It's a little bit like FSG -- it's a little slimy (though not as slimy as FSG), but it doesn't want to spread out well over your hands and it sticks together. (Again, this is super hard to explain, so you'll get it once you feel it for yourself! ) It goes onto your hair nicely, though, and it distributes fairly easily. I use a lot of this gel (as I do with EVERY gel, since I have thick, longer hair) -- probably three good at-least-half-of-your-palm-sized blobs. The only thing I absolutely don't like about this gel (but wouldn't stop me from buying it!) is that for some reason, my hair takes FOREVER to dry with it. I can diffuse and diffuse, but it stays wet on the inside for forever. Even when I first apply it, my hair feels a lot drier -- not like flash drying with protein or glycerin or anything...just like I took a lot of water out of it, but it's still wet inside. Maybe it's just me! (BTW, if you've tried this gel, please tell me if this has happened to you! ) I love that this gel has a simple, fairly natural (for a drugstore product), short ingredient list. The smell is definitely strong and takes some getting used to. I hated it at first and didn't buy it because of it, but if you love a strong, lemony, citrusy scent, then you'd like it. Another thing I don't like about it is that I can't use it all the time because it doesn't have protein! (I recently had a whole issue with OC'ing and needing lots of protein, so this hasn't been a very awesome choice for me lately). I think it gives VERY nice hold and some crunch, though, although not as much crunch as you'd think from a nice-holding gel! It's SOTC-able (is that even a word?! :P), but it's got pretty nice hold. Every time I hear someone say that, I think, "Oh, great, it's another one of those softer-holding gels that works for the curlier people but won't give me enough hold." But, believe me -- this does give great hold in its own sort of unique way! I'm not sure how well this mixes with other products, because I haven't tried it that way. But, all in all, it's a great product and I would TOTALLY buy it again! I hope this helps someone trying to figure out whether or not to buy this! I'd like to hear about your experiences with it, too!
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

Join Date: Aug 2010

Wavy, I had the same experience with this gel as far as it making my hair really curly. I wondered at the time if it was something else I had done or used that day, as I didn't think a gel could be so curl enhancing, but I got the same results on a different day, so it must be the gel.

Agree about the strong scent - to me it smells like citronella, which I don't love, but I find that it doesn't linger, so it's tolerable. I didn't find the hold to be as strong as you found, but I also didn't use nearly the amount you did. It's not a soft holding gel, just not the hardest I've ever tried.

Agree also about the slimy consistency, but I have no trouble spreading it in my palms and through my hair. I do use it on dripping wet hair, though, so the extra water may help the distribution.

I did not find it to extend my drying time, though I know what you meant when you said your hair felt wet "inside."

Glad you like it! It worked well for me in late spring/early summer; I ran out and haven't repurchased, but maybe I'll give it another try now that the dews are a little lower.

Sent from my iPhone using the CurlTalk app!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Mountaincurl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

I'm glad you like this! I really couldn't stomach the smell, but maybe i can give it another try when I need a new gel. I know you were looking for a new gel, so I'm really glad this is working for you
Mod CG since 8/2010
2cFii (fia), normal/normal, protein junkie. Itchy and allergic wavy!
Growing out
pw: mountaincurl
Mountaincurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

NocurlB4babies's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I LOVE this gel. I am a new CG...so I have tried several stylers, but not as many as most on here probably have. This gel really give me curl...seriously more than any other product I've tried (CIAB/ LA Sports gel/ Ecostyler etc). I don't think it smells that bad, but my husband asked what stunk when he was in the room (ha). I can't recommend this gel enough for hold. I put it in soaking wet hair, then scrunch like crazy w/tshirt and then diffuse until mostly dry. My hair is fine, so dry time is never too much of a problem. I use quite a bit, but after hair is completely dry I just scrunch out the crunchiness and I'm left w/ defined...soft wonderful curls. Give it a try!!!!
2b/3a fine/med-hi density/high porosity (I think)/ highlight-no silicones/sulfates
Lo-poo - ABBA Gentle Shampoo/ Shea Moisture Curl & Shine
Conditioner: GVCB (love it!)/ Regis OO
Leave in
: As I Am
Co-Wash: Tresemme or DevaCurl NoPoo
Stylers: As I Am Curling Jelly/GF Pure Clean/ LALCurl gel - all with BRHG added
Style: scrunch/ diffuse, then air dry. I don't Have much frizz at all
NocurlB4babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #5

Join Date: Sep 2011

To be honest I've tried this gel and I wasn't all that impressed...it didn't do enough in the humid summers of NY. Haven't tried it on a non humid day though. Glad it is working for you though--it's always a fantastic feeling to finally find something that works just right!
CurlyQ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #6

Join Date: Sep 2010

Rustina -- I'm glad you liked it, too! Our hair seems very similar, even though your porosity is normal and mine is low. I wish I could bring myself to fork out the money for BRHG so I would know what a REAL strong hold gel is like, ha ha! The PC gel and Aussie Instant Freeze gel were about the hardest-holding gels I have ever used. :P

Mountaincurl -- Thanks!! I hated the smell, too -- strangely, I got used to it. I'm glad I did, though, because it was awful at first!

NocurlB4babies -- I'm glad you're liking it, to! And, CurlyQ82, it stinks that the gel didn't work great for you! I know my hair reacts differently to things once the seasons change, though, so you may be surprised by it if you try it during the winter!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #7

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

Interesting...I'll probably end up trying this next after the AIF runs out! Trying to curb the inner PJ! Is it glycerin free?
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #8

Join Date: May 2010

Wavy- Thank you SO much for posting this. My hair generally does not do well with gels but for some reason I did try this and LOVE it. I air dried one day and my hair was frizz free and wavy/curly. Not weighed down. The next day I diffused and had so much more volume and still no frizz. Hold is pretty good! I will say the smell is slightly overpowering but seemed to disappear once I put it in my hair.

@asianrunner- Glycerin (I think) is the second or third ingredient. My hair doesn't seem to like products with a lot of glycerin so I am wondering if I will only be able to use this in normal dews.

There has been so much talk about Aussie Instant Freeze, I may try that. I also used to use the Aussie Volume gel, and remember liking it...

One question for you gel-users...How do you apply it? Are you raking then scrunching, or just scrunching? Do you put the gel in soaking wet hair or blot first? I have been on my CG journey for about a year and a half but still haven't figured out gel...For my hair anyways.
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #9

Originally Posted by SegB View Post
I have found that raking is the only way I get good coverage at the crown, which reduces frizz. So I put in my LI, throw a couple of handfuls of cool water at my head to get it a little drippy, then rake in my gel or gel/styler combo, whatever I'm using, standing right side up. I use a squirt for the crown/back and a squirt for each side. Then I flip upside down and use a squirt for the underside of my hair. While I'm still hanging upside down, I run my fingers through so my hair is all pointing downward, then scrunch to get the curls going. HTH!
Spiralli likes this.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Rustina View Post
Originally Posted by SegB View Post
Thanks Rustina! This is helpful. I feel the problem I have is if I use too much gel, it weighs my hair down. I have a decent amount of curl but the wrong product or the wrong amount can take the curl right out. I may try your technique but only use a *little* gel. Do you blot with a t-shirt/towel after you apply the gel to get some of the water out?...Thanks!

And sorry for taking over this thread!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #11

Join Date: Aug 2010

My hair can get weighed down by too much gel, too, as I have low elasticity. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with raking in my products; raking gives me the coverage I need to avoid frizz, but I do feel that it pulls out a bit of the curl, especially at the roots. But I'd rather have less frizz, so raking it is.

I definitely use a floursack towel to squeeze out excess water after all the scrunching (while I'm still hanging with my head upside down). I try to squeeze each section only once, but I hold each squeeze for 5-10 seconds to absorb as much water as possible. Once I'm out of the shower, my hair is somewhere between wet and damp. Not dripping, but not too dry, either. I pixie diffuse for about 2 minutes per section (9 or 10 sections in all), then clip and air dry on my commute to work. The pixie diffusing also helps to put some of the curl back in.

If you try the raking, I hope it works for you! Let us know.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Rustina View Post

If you try the raking, I hope it works for you! Let us know.
Hmm, I never thought about elasticity affecting product weight. I have extremely low elasticity...My hair snaps immediatly when I pull each end.

I have been experiencing just with a little leave in plus gel or mousse. What products are you liking? For me, I like Curl Fix, Redken Curl Refiner (one cone), and KCKT as leave ins. For gels, the Garnier Pure Clean has been successful...I like CQ in the winter but was not successful with it in the summer, which is odd because there is no glycerin...I also am liking the 3 in 1 conditioning mousse that is about $3 in CVS! I also have had success using CIAB alone.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #13

Lahomajayne's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I have to say - I hated this, my hair hated this, and the climate in Colorado also hates this gel. I think it is the glycerin. It made my hair...weird...sticky, slimy looking and not in a good way, got absolutely no crunch out of it, it stayed wet for simply hours and hours. The parts of my hair where the gel was a little thicker looked wet and dark and oily, and the rest had the curl dragged out and was just flyaway...

Sigh. I think Colorado is a hard place for gels to perform their best
Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray

I have KLINGON HAIR

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
Lahomajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #14

Mountaincurl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

I must say Wavynwild, you have inspired me to be brave and try this gel despite the stench It is a funny product! Seems pretty curl enhancing. I'll have to wait and see about the hold. Eep!
Mod CG since 8/2010
2cFii (fia), normal/normal, protein junkie. Itchy and allergic wavy!
Growing out
pw: mountaincurl
Mountaincurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #15

Join Date: Aug 2010

It is a very...strange product, isn't it? I'm not surprised it didn't work well in CO. The dew points must be super low. I discovered a new tube of the Pure Clean gel in my linen closet last night - apparently, I did buy a new tube when the last one ran out - so I'm going to give it a shot today and see how it does in this fall weather. When I liked it in the spring, I used it by itself over a little leave-in. I loved how curly it left me, but I did feel sort of producty once it was all dry and I SOTC.

Originally Posted by SegB View Post
Seg, you and I have different properties, so it looks like we're not going to like a lot of the same stuff. I stay away from proteins in conditioners, so I love CJAO - I use it every day as my go-to LI - but I'm guessing you don't like it because it's oil-heavy. I was having fantastic luck over the summer with CEJ/FHG topped with BRHG as my styler combo, but CEJ/FHG isn't working for me as well in this weather, so I've been using a combo of Re:coil and KCCC instead, also topped with BRHG. It's not *fabulous*, but it's working okay. The one time I tried a sample of CQ, it left me stringy and dry, and it took several shampoos to get it out. I had great success with CIAB last fall, but it didn't work in the winter and I didn't re-buy it. Maybe I should try it again this fall. I tried a sample of AFL a couple of months ago and it did nothing for me, either. I love the CJ condishes so much - wish I could get the stylers to work for me!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #16

Join Date: Sep 2010

Asianrunner -- Glycerin is the third ingredient. I know you don't like glycerin in the winter, so this must be depressing! Sorry!

SegB -- I'm SO GLAD you're loving this! Must've been a happy surprise that it worked! It does seem to be a very light gel, which I kinda like! Oh, and I just scrunch in all my products. If I'm using a LI, I scrunch that in into sopping wet hair to help with frizz, scrunching water out while I do so, and then I scrunch all my gel into less-wet hair (and then do my plop). If I'm not using LI, I just sub in some gel to use while my hair's super wet. I scrunch everything in, though -- I have been too chicken to try raking. I'm afraid it'll pull everything out or leave me with stringlets. Oh, and also, I tried the AIF, and I LOVE it! It is kinda similar to the GFPC, but maybe a *little* heavier. I LOVE it, though. Nice crunch and hold, but a little hard to scrunch out.

MC -- EEEEPPPP!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! I hope you wind up loving it!!! Tell me the minute you try it how it works.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #17

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

It is a little sad but probably better in the end haha! Even though I use gel every day it seems like it lasts forever! I remember when I finally ran out of BRHG for the first time I was amazed.

Right now I have the AIF, BRHG, CJ CQ and the Alba gel (which I don't really like). I'm pretty much stocked up on gels!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #18

Join Date: Sep 2010

Ha! Then I guess it's not too frustrating -- you have lots of options and goodies to play with, and you don't have to worry about it not working because of the glycerin!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #19

Lizardloo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I bought this on a whim at target yesterday after reading this thread. My hair is CRAZY wavy today! I'm getting pretty good hold and had to really SOTC after only using maybe a quarter sized amount for my BSL hair (used it on top of CIAB).

Also I am really glad that pledge smell doesn't linger. Blech.
Lizardloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #20

Originally Posted by Lizardloo View Post

Also I am really glad that pledge smell doesn't linger. Blech.
Yay, Lizardloo! Glad you liked it!! I am going to use some again today, too... I had been laying off it for a while because I was very OC'ed for a while there and seemed to need protein in all my products or my hair would get limp. So I'm going to revisit it! I'm in the mood for a good first day hair day. I've had lousy 1st day hair the past two washes. :P I'm not so much looking forward to that extra drying time, but I love the crunch and hold and curls this stuff gives! I found, like you, that my hair was crazy curly when I used it.