The "drugstore dupe" thread

I haven't done much searching to see if there is a thread like this already, but I thought it would be a great idea to start a thread where you tell us your favorite, more inexpensive duplicate of an expensive, high end, or hard-to-get product! That way, we can save money skipping the expensive stuff or experimenting to find that perfect dupe.

I'll start...I'm not a high-end product kinda gal, but I did splurge a little and get some Shea Moisture stuff one time when it was on sale, and I find that I could replace my Smoothie with a little bit of some apricot or coconut oil, which is cheaper and probably more versatile than the Smoothie. It's good to have around, but I won't repurchase (I could whip some homemade concoction up like that, too, since I also have Shea butter sitting in the fridge ). The one expensive product I haven't really found a replacement for yet is a sample of Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream. I think the Free and Clean sulfate free shampoo I ordered from Essential Wholesale comes close, but it's not as cleansing. But, I think it's still a halfway decent alternative.

So, your turn! Share your favorite dupe for that more expensive product.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!

Last edited by wavynwild16; 04-05-2012 at 07:23 PM.
It's funny that you started this thread. I was just thinking about how similar FSG is to Curl Keeper and how Garnier PC is similar to KCCC. hehe!
Mod CG since 8/2010
2cFii (fia), normal/normal, protein junkie. Itchy and allergic wavy!
Growing out
pw: mountaincurl
Ha! That is awesome! I always wanted to get KCCC because it looks and sounds so awesome and intriguing! At least I know what it's similar to now (and it's something I have tried -- WOO!! ). And I guess I wouldn't like Curl Keeper then -- FSG is kinda a one hit wonder for me. Works great the first time, and then it doesn't like me anymore. Thanks, MC!! That's so cool. Anyone else care to share, too?

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
I agree with Garnier PC being like KCCC! I love it.
I've also found that Spray Gels work like hairspray for me. My hair is tough to weigh down so I may be the only person that works for, but it's cool since I don't enjoy all the alcohols and such in most hair sprays.
Other than that... hmm. Sleek and Shine is more moisturizing than the Rusk confitioner I spent $20 on.
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
hehe I've got to say the obvious, the GVP conditioning balm is the Sally's dupe of Biolage!

AOMM reminds me of SS CEJ but definitely not the same.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I love the gvp conditioning balm. Great moisture without weighing down my hair

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, TreSemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth
LI: KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, Frizz -Free Volumizing Foam

CG since July 2011
I actually just tried joico k-pak revitaluxe and it's almost an exact match for Dove's Intensive Repair in the damage therapy line (I actually prefer the scent compared to joico)
I agree with Garnier PC being like KCCC! I love it.
Originally Posted by oh.hi.its.steph
I've read around here people comparing Ecostyler to KCCC as well. When people compare products this way YMMV because the ingredients are never alike so it's more how the product performs in their hair. I get very different results from KCCC vs Ecostyler because the ingredients are completely different so to me they are nothing alike. Sally's has their versions of "salon quality brands" Sally Beauty Supply
aislin likes this.
2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE
Love all SS products
Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
AG MousseGel
BRHG
I shouldn't have started this thread -- I'm getting too many good ideas that won't cost me much, and I feel like going on a PJ buying spree!! Ha ha! It's so funny that you mentioned the GVP, Asianrunner, because I didn't even think about that one when I started the thread, and that's probably the most obvious one!

Steph -- I so have to try spray gels! I experimented a little with them yesterday because I was losing hold and crunch rapidly then, so I sprayed some into my hands and scrunched into dry hair. Turned out okay, but I felt like it didn't really do anything special except make my hair smell nice. I'll probably wind up liking it, since it's an old Suave spray gel that's probably been discontinued since it was sitting under my sink for who knows how long!

I just thought of another one. IAgirl's gelatin PT for Aphogee 2-step. Not that I've tried the actual Aphogee stuff...just her homemade gelatin knockoff.

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!

I'll start...I'm not a high-end product kinda gal, but I did splurge a little and get some Shea Moisture stuff one time when it was on sale, and I find that I could replace my Smoothie with a little bit of some apricot or coconut oil, which is cheaper and probably more versatile than the Smoothie. It's good to have around, but I won't repurchase (I could whip some homemade concoction up like that, too, since I also have Shea butter sitting in the fridge ). The one expensive product I haven't really found a replacement for yet is a sample of Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream. I think the Free and Clean sulfate free shampoo I ordered from Essential Wholesale comes close, but it's not as cleansing, and the shipping prices are a little steep, but I think it's still cheaper in the long run.

So, your turn! Share your favorite dupe for that more expensive product.
Originally Posted by wavynwild16
I was just about to buy more Shea Moisture Smoothie (buy one get one 50% off til Nov 5 at Walgreens) and then I read this. How are you using
the Coconut Oil? I've been using the Smoothie as an overnight pre poo and as a leave in.
I've used Coconut oil as a pre poo as well. Never used the Apricot oil. How are you using that?
WavyNWild, you can make your shampoo into something very like the JC Cleansing Cream by doing this:
Mix your sulfate-free shampoo about 50-50 with the YTC conditioner. Or maybe 40-50 or 50-40.
Add a little apricot oil (or canola or whatever you have) 2-6 drops

You could use another conditioner, but the YTC has some oils and de-frizzing stuff in it. Judging from the ingredients, this will be very similar to the JCCC.
Is that Yes to Cucs or Yes to Carrots?
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Is that Yes to Cucs or Yes to Carrots?
Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs
Yes to Carrots, but I think either would work.
Originally Posted by crwritt
I use the coconut oil a couple of different ways, though I haven't touched it much lately (darn OC'ing!). I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for pre-poos, and that's my favorite way to use it. I also like it to SOTC with, although I think I like apricot oil a little better for this purpose. One time I layered some over my gel when my hair was feeling very dry, and it turned out amazing! I'm sure it would work great underneath as a moisturizer, too. I use my apricot kernel oil to seal with, to SOTC with, and sometimes when my hair is dry and looking a little wonky, I will scrunch some of that in and it looks and feels so much better! I love the stuff so darn much -- it's nice and light and so perfect and moisturizing! But, I use both oils in pretty ordinary ways.

IAgirl -- thank you for the suggestion! It sounds so tempting, but every time I put condish on my scalp, I get itchy.

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
^^ Wavy have you tried an ACV rinse (75-25 water/tea to vinegar) on your scalp to get rid of the condish? I HAVE to or it will itch to high heavens, then I just reapply a little conditioner or my leave in to the length of my hair (to avoid the smell.)
Originally Posted by BrettyU
That is really interesting! I might have to try that! Do you do that every time you wash? I think I would have to, which scares me a little, but I do love doing them from time to time. My scalp has been needing good cleansing every time I wash, too, so I'm not sure if the extra condish would just make me greasy. Also, I have been kinda seeing a correlation between ACV rinses and bad hair, LOL! But I will have to try it at least once and tell you how I like it!! Thank you for the tip! That is very interesting and I've never thought about doing that.

Originally Posted by BrettyU
Originally Posted by wavynwild16
Yep ACV every time I wash, I will say that I only wash once a week it could be either a lo-poo or co-wash depending on the week (I alternate.) but from day to day I wash with just water and reapply my conditioner and styling products. My scalp gets itchy and irritated if I attempt to cowash daily or leave conditioner on my scalp. My hair desperately needs the conditioner. To avoid AVC rinses more than once or twice a week if my scalp feels like it needs cleansing or greasy feeling after I just washed I'm a huge fan of using a bit of a waterless shampoo (keeping it off my hair as much as possible) . I really like TRESemmé Fresh Start's waterless foam shampoo for curly hair (not exactly CG it has cocamidopropyl betaine, but I don't really mind because I'm not using it on my hair) My hair thanks me because it gets the benefits of cowashing without the itchy scalp.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.
Okay, I have one: Suave Captivating Curls Spray gel (sprayed or poured into your hand, then applied as a regular gel) as a substitute for Deva Care ArcAngel.

Not exactly the same, no glycerin and no oat/wheat peptides or plant extracts - but pretty close. The lack of plant extracts is good for allergy folks anyhow! About $6 for the Suave for 7oz vs around $18 for 12oz for ArcAngel. So $0.85 per ounce vs. $1.50 per ounce.

Not that great a savings per ounce, but they are kind of comparable, hold-wise.

Last edited by IAgirl; 10-31-2011 at 09:50 AM.
BrettyU -- I totally see what you're saying now! I might have to incorporate some of your ideas into my routine! Thanks a bunch for explaining that! I actually have Tresemme's waterless foam shampoo for curly hair -- it's been sitting on my dresser collecting dust for a long while! I remember last time I used it, it made me itchy, but I might have to try it again if no "itchy" ingredients jump out at me this time. I remember it leaving my hair a little waxy feeling until it dried, though. Hmm. Oh, and BTW, I couldn't see your avi for the longest time 'cause I was on my Ipod, but your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

IAgirl -- too cool! The Deva ArcAngel is a regular gel -- no spray -- right? And you know I like the "no plant extracts" part about the Suave, too!

Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
What is garnier pc? Thank yall so much for this topic!!!!! I am all for things I can get at walmart/Target/cvs/walgreens that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg!!!
I guess I am an odd ball here or maybe its just I've never had the right products but I like my hair crunchy, to me if its not crunchy I think its frizzy/poofy/gross looking it may all be in my head also :/
Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App