time to stop using Ouidad?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum/website and i'm looking for guidance. After looking through the descriptions, I think my hair type is 3b underneath and 3a on top. I love the curls I have underneath but everything else just looks weird.

I have been using Ouidad for years, except for a one year period where I straightened with a flat iron. (I know, so bad for the curls). I have not straightened my hair in probably a year and so I thought my curls would look better by now. Maybe it's something i'm doing wrong, or the wrong product?

I know not to shampoo every day and right now I use the deep conditioning treatment every 3 weeks and I mainly just use the climate control gel to style with a little bit of the tress fx gel. My hair doesn't look terrible but I feel like it could look better. I just don't love the way it looks right now. The entire top layer of my hair either goes super frizzy or flat looking depending on how much gel I use that day. I just can't get the top to look right.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not they like Ouidad and if there is a better styling gel for my situation?

For Ouidad to cost what it does, I feel like I should love the results. Maybe i'm the problem.

Thanks in advance to all my curly friends,

-Julie
i never used ouidad products, but i have a vague thought that they contain sulfates and cones??? not really cg. i could be wrong???? others will chime in.

if you are not happy with the way your hair looks, i think it would be a good idea to do some research on here about products, cuts. most of us have a mix of curl types, especially 3as. i have lots of 3b curls, altho my hair is primarily 3a. with the right products/cut, it should blend in nicely.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Yes, it looks like Ouidad products do contain sulfates and cones and apparently those chemicals are harsh on curly hair?

Either way, I feel like trying something new so I am going to test out the Curl Junkie CIAB and the CCCC and see if that changes anything for me.

Fingers crossed!

-Julie
yes. sulfates strip the moisture from hair, and curly hair starts out dry. have you read the threads in the newbie forum? excellent starting place.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Have you tried Aubrey Organics products? I recently bought the White Camellia Ultra Smoothing shampoo and conditioner and I am in love. I am devoted to all natural products and I have tried everything from Lush (Not as natural as I thought) to John Masters Organics ($$$$). I can confidently say that Aubrey Organics is the BEST. The shampoo cleans without stripping and the conditioner has crazy slip. I could never get away without using conditioner but today I just washed my hair with shampoo and no conditioner....the shampoo is so emoillient by itself!

I also use Anita Grant butters and pomades that works wonders on my 3a/b hair. I really recommend you try some of her stuff.

Fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by jritter6645
Actually, Ouidad does make -cone free products like the Tres Effects gel (which I LOVE, by the way) and the Deep Treatment. A couple of the shampoos are SLS free but not entirely sulfate free. I think they reformulated some of the products before doing the whole repackaging thing, plus everything seems a lot cheaper now (a good sized bottle of TE gel is something like $15 or $16 at Sephora).
Anyway, the gel you were using does have dimethicone in it but I would highly recommend the TE gel...I've been really impressed with it!
I used Ouidad for awhile, but wasn't impressed with the majority of her products. I love the CJ cleansers and conditioners. I use CIAB regularly, but some of the other stylers are hit and miss with my hair. I think the key is to getting your hair healthy. For surface frizz, I find CIAB and Curls Gel-les'c works wonders. I scrunch in a small amount just before I diffuse. I don't use it as a styler, but rather as a frizz prevention serum.

It could be the products your using or it could be the way you are applying them. I get really good results with my hair now, but it definitely took a lot of practice and experimenting before I was able to get the results I wanted consistently.

I also love rotating my products. I never have a problem with buildup and I think the products work better if they aren't used daily .. IMHO
Ouidad was my HG for 10+ years. My hair is now very thin and doesn't grow at all, it used to be full and long. I thought there might be something better that Ouidad out there. I recently went CG after finding Waterlily716 on youtube. It's been 6 weeks and my hair feels so much healthier. I highly recommend learning about cones/sulfates, visit Waterlily's site and giving CG a try. Your curls will thank you!!!