Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

The styling milk, however, is very lovely. Feels very moisturizing and does indeed define my curls some. Plus, it makes my hair feel light and fluffy! I'd definitely buy it again.
Originally Posted by curlyberry
Hi Curlyberry,
What does the styling milk smell like? Some of the Shea Moisture products are really strongly scented.
Some people say it smells like coconuts... but to me it doesn't. most of the sheamoisture products smell heavily fruity to the point where i want to throw up! But the milk just has this...cakey...sort of smell. I can't describe it any better thant that. It's just more sugary than sweet like other sheamoisture products... I like it a lot.
The Shea moisture curl enhancing smootie worked very good on my 3b hair, it had hold no frizz. my only con is that it made my hair feel greasy or sticky
I don't think the Smoothie did anything for my hair! It's not curl enhancing at all. Plus I found it to be heavy for my hair which can normally take heavier products. I tried using it as a leave-in and as a curl enhancer.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Would anyone be interested in swapping with me? I have a tub that is almost new. I used it about 4 times with very little quantity each time.

I love the smell but I suspect the protein was too much for my hair. The oils might also be too heavy.
Originally Posted by coricourt
What would you like to swap it for?
Originally Posted by crwritt
Well what do you have? I'd like to try their styling milk, actually. Or make me another offer of something with little to no protein! I'm in the market for daily conditioners and deep conditioners. Feel free to PM me!
3a, fine+med textures; med dens (ii); low porosity; nrml elasticity; frizz; protein sens.
CG since Sept '11

Products:
NO sulfates, cones, parabens
Co-wash- Desert Essences Frag Free
Condish- Acure Lemongrass or AO Blue Camomile
DT- Jessicurl
Styling- AOMM + KCCC or Alaffia BeautCurls Shea LI+KCCC
Extras- wkly ACV, br sug scrub for scalp issues
Techniques:
scrunch in prods to soaking wet hair (no combing), flour sack dry, clip roots, air dry, SOTC

Last edited by coricourt; 12-01-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Have you tried Kinky Curly products? I have fine (but a lot of it) 3a/3b hair. See picture. I co-washed with Desert Essence and then Knot Today and Kinky curly gel.
Attached Thumbnails
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie-myhair_2011.jpg
Cate
3a / 3b? CG
Wash - Deva No Poo, Desert Essence
Co-wash - One Condition, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Balanced Moisturizer, Desert Essence
Leave In - Kinky Curly Knot Today
Style - Deva Angel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard
I'm interested to join this thread to see who likes the Kinky curly knot today....

I have the Shea Moisture and I do like it, but it doesn't give me curl definition like I really want. But I'm a 2a and may be asking for too much.

So I'm just quietly reading!
I use kinky curly knot today under the coconut & hibiscus curl& style milk. Works well together. My hairstyle in my signature was done with these products.
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
Im happy I found this topic. I love SheaMoisture I do giveaways of it all the time on my Youtube page. The products is great if used correctly. I have notice it works better on my hair when it is a little damp.

Is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie good for a styler? Yes just depends what style. Overall I think it is and to me a little goes a long way.

Does it provide hold and frizz free curls? Indeed each time I use it frizz goes from 10 to at least a 4. My hair holds up as well not for an entire day but a good amount of time.

I've been interested in the products for awhile, so if you've tried it, can you please help me out?! Hope this helps.

2years Naptural. Protective Style is my Middle Name. I don't let laziness hit me when it comes to hair maintenance. I'm a Nappy Maniac. Lol

Staples
Homemade Whipped Shea Butter
Aloe Vera Juice
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Argan Oil
Homemade Leave-In Conditioner
No-toperms
thanks for the insight of using shea moisture on damp hair. i usually put it on after blow drying with diffuser...just to smooth things out. ill try it on damp hair. do you put it on THEN dry?
I tried this on wet and dry hair and was sooo excited. It just dried my hair and made it frizzy :/ I also tried to Deep Conditioning Mask to see if I could get more moisture, but I guess Shea Moisture doesn't work for me. Smells DELICIOUS though!
Has anyone experienced buildup from the beeswax in the smoothie? I used it as a leave in and I was getting some build up and my hair was getting really heavy and less curly and would spring back after clarifying with a sulfate about every two weeks, and I'm pretty sure it's from the beeswax in the smoothie, which is really a shame because I really like this product. My low-poo wasn't getting rid of it either. Any tips? I'd hate to have to kick this out of my regimen, but maybe I could try the hair milk instead. Thanks!
Mostly 2b with bits of 2c in the front (Fia)
High Porosity (Color treated/flat iron damage)
Fine to Medium Texture
Medium Density
Normal Elasticity

Mod CG since Sept 2011
Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
Low-Poo: Renpure Organics Moisture
Leave in: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gel: BRHG/KCCC
I think the milk is weaker than the smoothie. But I noticed if you put the smoothie in when your hair is almost damp, you can actually see what it does (in small amounts) instead of wet..
Originally Posted by Lena56
I have the smoothie. I don't see beeswax in the ingredients list.

Originally Posted by Lena56
I have the smoothie. I don't see beeswax in the ingredients list.
Originally Posted by naturalnewb
Hmm, that's weird, I could have sworn I saw in the product reviews that it had beeswax.. Maybe I'm getting buildup from something else.. sorry!
Mostly 2b with bits of 2c in the front (Fia)
High Porosity (Color treated/flat iron damage)
Fine to Medium Texture
Medium Density
Normal Elasticity

Mod CG since Sept 2011
Co-Wash: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
Low-Poo: Renpure Organics Moisture
Leave in: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gel: BRHG/KCCC
I find that if use the smoothie alone, my hair feels a little grainy/grimy. I mix it with the milk for a better consistency. I pour about a quarter sized amount of milk in my palm then dip into the smoothie for about the same amount. Rub to mix, then distribute. I use about 8 such dollops at a time, and my hair loves it. I have noticed that my coarser sections of hair (crown, nape) respond better to the smoothie, and my finer sections like the milk more, but mixing seems to keep everyone happy. And I have to say, I had no earthly idea what people meant by "clumps" until I used this. It works really well.
You can't stop my happiness 'cuz I like the way I am! -Hairspray
Dangerously open to product suggestion
3b, thick, angled bob, coarse, low(ish) porosity.
Favs:
Poo (when I get buildup): Bumble&Bumble Curly Shampoo
Lo-poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Cleansing Conditioner
LI: Aveda Be Curly Prep
Stylin': Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer for a natural full-bodied look, SheaMoisture Smoothie for finger curls.

I love the curl enhancing smoothie as an all purpose product for my 4a/4b hair. Moisturizer & styler. I don't experience any buildup! I like it better than the milk, maybe because you hair is thick & prefers thicker products :-)
Well, I guess I found some way to work with this product after all. The entire time I'd been using it alone, but I think it just works best for me as a styling cream only. My hair felt very weird whenever I put it on, and it would just sit on my strands.

However, last night I put a leave-in, moisturizer, and oil underneath it and used the CES for my twists. It seemed to cooperate with my hair. So now I'll just keep using it this way until it's all gone. Won't be purchasing it again though.
Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
Last Relaxer - March '11
BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
Im still experimenting with this product, but I think I will continue to use it qith some of the suggestions here.

I loved it at first but overtime I feel like my curls are being weighed down. Mixing it with the milk (which I dontown yet) sounds like the perfect combination . I dont find this product battles frizz as much, but does make my hair shiny and soft and (if applied right) I have gotten big fat ringlets with it. I tend to over apply to I chant to myself "less is more" when applying.

I apply mine right out of the shower, as a "styler" after uing a tiny bit of KCKT as a LI.
All bets off on finding the perfect products for the curls - focusing on regrowing (50%) hair loss due to
A) Depo Provera (injectable birth control)
B) seborrheic dermatitis