-   -   Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/135655-shea-moisture-curl-enhancing-smoothie.html)

CaseyGoNatural 11-10-2011 05:38 AM

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie good for a styler? Does it provide hold and frizz free curls? (I like a good amount of hold w/ my stylers &I HATE frizz!)
I've been interested in the products for awhile, so if you've tried it, can you please help me out?! :)

crwritt 11-10-2011 08:12 AM

Sent from my SGH-T839 using CurlTalk App

I'm not sure of your hair's properties, but here is a picture of my hair after shampooing with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo then scrunching in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie, then air drying. Not crunchy, but not frizz either.

CaseyGoNatural 11-10-2011 09:26 AM

You're hair is very pretty! But my curls are way tighter than yours, I'm about a 3b-3c..

RobinP92202 11-10-2011 09:29 AM

I just got this to try. It makes my 3a curls very soft and shiny but not very defined. If I use a little gel or recoil on top it helps with definition. I get a different look when I use it though, kind of like soft loose curls not tight bouncy spirals (like when I use my normal curl keeper + recoil). I love how soft and healthy it makes my hair look though.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App

crwritt 11-10-2011 09:48 AM

Sent from my SGH-T839 using CurlTalk App

Thank you. I don't know as tightness of curl really
matters all that much. The Smoothie does have silk protein in it, so if you have weird results with protein, that is something to think about.

I had been layering ecostyler with Argan Oil over it, but I'm getting low on that, and thought I'd try the Smoothie on its own. Since I've used the smoothie
regularly, either as a leave in or a pre wash, I've noticed a significant lack of frizz.

WurlyLox 11-10-2011 09:49 AM

It's more of a conditioning curl cream, to me. Offers no hold whatsoever on it's own.

CaseyGoNatural 11-10-2011 02:19 PM

I think I'm going to try it and put eco styler gel on top. Another question, which eco styler is better the olive oil or argan oil? I've been looking into those as well.

nicurly 11-15-2011 07:08 AM

I really , really like the Shea Moisture Smoothie!! It is sold here is Canada for $20, but I picked up a tub when I was in LV last month for $11.99. I use it as a leave-in and finisher. My fav. combo is Smoothie, CK and then UFCM. I can get 3 days using this concoction. Day 2 and 3, I use the Smoothie to refresh my curls. I also like that you need very little. HTH's.

naturalnewb 11-15-2011 08:24 AM

I love the curl enhancing smoothie...but it does nothing to enhance my 4a curls. A bit of a misnomer there--at least when it comes to my hair. It keeps my hair moisturized for days so I usually combine it with a styler like Ecostyler gel.

thelio 11-15-2011 08:53 AM

I have 3a curls. I like other shea moisture products, but this just wieghed down my curls. It was just too heavy. i never have to use shampoo. i has to wash my hair several times to get it all out.

sewt15 11-18-2011 12:56 PM

I am definitely excited about this thread. I am going to buy SM smoothie hopefully for black friday and I cant wait to try it. For you all who thought the smoothie was too heavy, maybe you should try the SM coconut milk. I heard its lighter and provides good moisture. Has anyone tried the SM reconstructing elixir?

sewt15 11-18-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by crwritt (Post 1808234)

By the way, your hair is BUUUUUUU-tiful :happy7:

ss40 11-18-2011 01:30 PM

I live by shea moisture. I have the smoothie & love it. I use it on damp or wer hair b4 styling. I only dip my fingers in slightly when using for twists or braids. The milk is wonderful. I used it today as a moisturizer on a roller set. It smooths out my roots a little. I hear you can mix the smoothie with the shea moisture souffle to get good results on finer hair (type 3?) I find that the more I use shea moisture the better my hair responds to it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App

FrizzBgone 11-24-2011 09:44 PM

I didn't find that it did anything as a styler. I have used it to SOTC and on dry hair. I prefer it for SOTC, but to be honest ... I probably won't reorder.

coricourt 11-25-2011 02:58 AM

Would anyone be interested in swapping with me? I have a tub that is almost new. I used it about 4 times with very little quantity each time.

I love the smell but I suspect the protein was too much for my hair. The oils might also be too heavy.

crwritt 11-25-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewt15 (Post 1814672)

Originally Posted by crwritt (Post 1808234)

http://

By the way, your hair is BUUUUUUU-tiful :happy7:

I just saw this, thank you for the compliment!

crwritt 11-25-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by coricourt (Post 1820364)

What would you like to swap it for?

KinkyKhami 11-25-2011 11:56 AM

What is SOTC? As far as the CES it does some definition but not as much as I would like it to. I used either the KeraCare defining custard or Eco over it and smooth it until it's a good curl.

FrizzBgone 11-26-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by KinkyKhami (Post 1820564)

SOTC is scrunch out the crunch :iconbiggrin:

curlyberry 11-26-2011 08:36 AM

imo, the smoothie is nothing special. I tried on both damp and dry hair and no matter how much or little I put on my hair it either feels too oily or just drying. I'm going to put it away until my hair grows out some more. Right now I have a twa, my hair is pretty thick/coarse so I want this to work for me lol. Maybe I'll try it on twists in the future.

The styling milk, however, is very lovely. Feels very moisturizing and does indeed define my curls some. Plus, it makes my hair feel light and fluffy! I'd definitely buy it again. :)