Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #1

Default Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Is the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie good for a styler? Does it provide hold and frizz free curls? (I like a good amount of hold w/ my stylers &I HATE frizz!)
I've been interested in the products for awhile, so if you've tried it, can you please help me out?!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

Sent from my SGH-T839 using CurlTalk App
I'm not sure of your hair's properties, but here is a picture of my hair after shampooing with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo then scrunching in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie, then air drying. Not crunchy, but not frizz either.
http://
Jo Somebody, sewt15 and curlimami like this.

Last edited by crwritt; 11-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

Join Date: Nov 2011

You're hair is very pretty! But my curls are way tighter than yours, I'm about a 3b-3c..
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

RobinP92202's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011

I just got this to try. It makes my 3a curls very soft and shiny but not very defined. If I use a little gel or recoil on top it helps with definition. I get a different look when I use it though, kind of like soft loose curls not tight bouncy spirals (like when I use my normal curl keeper + recoil). I love how soft and healthy it makes my hair look though.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
Robin
*mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
*3a shoulder length curls
*experimenting with the CG method
RobinP92202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Sent from my SGH-T839 using CurlTalk App

Thank you. I don't know as tightness of curl really
matters all that much. The Smoothie does have silk protein in it, so if you have weird results with protein, that is something to think about.

I had been layering ecostyler with Argan Oil over it, but I'm getting low on that, and thought I'd try the Smoothie on its own. Since I've used the smoothie
regularly, either as a leave in or a pre wash, I've noticed a significant lack of frizz.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #6

WurlyLox's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008

It's more of a conditioning curl cream, to me. Offers no hold whatsoever on it's own.
2C/3A/3B - mod. CG, med. to fine, normal to low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated, GTTT or Aim2Health 'poos as scalp needs, YTCarrots or Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein Trtmt & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite, KCCC, AO Mandarin Magic, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing then clips or clamps & air dry. Blend gray w/henna glosses

www.fotki.com/auntnett
WurlyLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

Join Date: Nov 2011

I think I'm going to try it and put eco styler gel on top. Another question, which eco styler is better the olive oil or argan oil? I've been looking into those as well.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #8

nicurly's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2004
Smile

I really , really like the Shea Moisture Smoothie!! It is sold here is Canada for $20, but I picked up a tub when I was in LV last month for $11.99. I use it as a leave-in and finisher. My fav. combo is Smoothie, CK and then UFCM. I can get 3 days using this concoction. Day 2 and 3, I use the Smoothie to refresh my curls. I also like that you need very little. HTH's.
My hair is naturally a combination of 3B/3C. No longer texturized. All natural! CG Routine: Devapoo, One condition or Elucence. Loving curl creams: AG Recoil, Mop Curl Cream, KMS Curl Cream and never without CK. Gels: HE SMU and KCCC with a little BRHG on top.
nicurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

naturalnewb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010

I love the curl enhancing smoothie...but it does nothing to enhance my 4a curls. A bit of a misnomer there--at least when it comes to my hair. It keeps my hair moisturized for days so I usually combine it with a styler like Ecostyler gel.

naturalnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #10

Join Date: Jul 2010

I have 3a curls. I like other shea moisture products, but this just wieghed down my curls. It was just too heavy. i never have to use shampoo. i has to wash my hair several times to get it all out.
thelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #11

sewt15's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011

I am definitely excited about this thread. I am going to buy SM smoothie hopefully for black friday and I cant wait to try it. For you all who thought the smoothie was too heavy, maybe you should try the SM coconut milk. I heard its lighter and provides good moisture. Has anyone tried the SM reconstructing elixir?
honeysweet20 likes this.

sewt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #13

ss40's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I live by shea moisture. I have the smoothie & love it. I use it on damp or wer hair b4 styling. I only dip my fingers in slightly when using for twists or braids. The milk is wonderful. I used it today as a moisturizer on a roller set. It smooths out my roots a little. I hear you can mix the smoothie with the shea moisture souffle to get good results on finer hair (type 3?) I find that the more I use shea moisture the better my hair responds to it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
ss40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #14

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I didn't find that it did anything as a styler. I have used it to SOTC and on dry hair. I prefer it for SOTC, but to be honest ... I probably won't reorder.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #15

coricourt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011

Would anyone be interested in swapping with me? I have a tub that is almost new. I used it about 4 times with very little quantity each time.

I love the smell but I suspect the protein was too much for my hair. The oils might also be too heavy.
3a, fine+med textures; med dens (ii); low porosity; nrml elasticity; frizz; protein sens.
CG since Sept '11

Products:
NO sulfates, cones, parabens
Co-wash- Desert Essences Frag Free
Condish- Acure Lemongrass or AO Blue Camomile
DT- Jessicurl
Styling- AOMM + KCCC or Alaffia BeautCurls Shea LI+KCCC
Extras- wkly ACV, br sug scrub for scalp issues
Techniques:
scrunch in prods to soaking wet hair (no combing), flour sack dry, clip roots, air dry, SOTC
coricourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #16

Originally Posted by sewt15 View Post
Originally Posted by crwritt View Post

By the way, your hair is BUUUUUUU-tiful
I just saw this, thank you for the compliment!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #17

Originally Posted by coricourt View Post

What would you like to swap it for?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #18

KinkyKhami's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

What is SOTC? As far as the CES it does some definition but not as much as I would like it to. I used either the KeraCare defining custard or Eco over it and smooth it until it's a good curl.
KinkyKhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #19

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by KinkyKhami View Post
SOTC is scrunch out the crunch
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #20

curlyberry's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011

imo, the smoothie is nothing special. I tried on both damp and dry hair and no matter how much or little I put on my hair it either feels too oily or just drying. I'm going to put it away until my hair grows out some more. Right now I have a twa, my hair is pretty thick/coarse so I want this to work for me lol. Maybe I'll try it on twists in the future.

The styling milk, however, is very lovely. Feels very moisturizing and does indeed define my curls some. Plus, it makes my hair feel light and fluffy! I'd definitely buy it again.
curlyberry is offline   Reply With Quote