If you have been looking for a product similar to KCCC, FSG or SS FHG, try this!

I totally bought this on a whim while traveling, this summer, for my granddaughter's birthday.
It is Hugo Naturals Styling Gel.
I got it at Whole Foods there. My Whole Foods in Kansas City does not have it. I order through luckyvitamin.com or I just bought a 2 pack through Amazon. I thought perhaps I had great results because it was a different climate or different water. I have had the same outstanding results since being home several months. Today it is in the 40's and I still got big, full curls that totally scrunched out full, but soft.
It has a nice, natural soft citrus smell. That comes from orange peel oil and other extracts. It is a 4 ounce bottle that is right around $5. It is Gluten Free and Vegan for those of you for which those are important considerations.

It looks like this:
Buy Hugo Naturals - Styling Gel For All Hair Types Medium Hold - 4 oz. at LuckyVitamin.com

The ingredient deck is:
Aqua/Water, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Glycerin, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil
Never Any: parabens, phenoxyethanol, SLS, PEGs, propylene glycol, petroleum products, artificial colors or synthetic fragrances. Gluten and soy free. Vegan. No animal testing.

It has the very same fabulously slimy feel and spreadibility as KCCC, FSG and SS FHG. I am too impatient with FSG because of refrigeration and how it is easy to spoil. The feel in this product comes from quinoa. I found that very interesting. You will note that it does contain glycerin yet it does not give me glycerin feeling hair.

I have had such great success with this product, it plays well with everything I have paired it and with the nice price, I had to share!

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
LOL! You did NOT just say you were a grandma!! You look too young. Sorry, I just had to say that!

Anyway, back to the gel! This sounds so good! I was browsing the hair aisle at Whole Foods, and I remembered a gel you talked about and was almost gonna get it. I thought it was the Hugo one, but now I remembered it was the Alba strong hold one! You still liking that one? Oh, and does KCCC actually act like FSG? I'm having a hard time with FSG lately. Just figured I'd ask in case I ever get over the price tag and try it out.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
Interesting. I don't think I could ever swing this due to the high protein and glycerin though!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Together (this gel as well as the Alba Strong Hold) is the BEST!
I really get spirally waves!

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Hi ladies, I too am using the Hugo Gel and like it. Can't say that I love anything just yet but this is working for me. One thing I do do is to dilute this down and use it in a spray bottle for 2nd and 3rd day hair. At the moment I put a wee bit of BRHG on top but will see if I can find the Alba Strong Hold and see if I like better. As a side note I buy this thru Ebates.com and then on to Drugstore.com and get a rebate. Every penny saved goes towards new product finds.
This sounds like its worth a try - esp. at that price. I really don't care for KCCC. I buy it at Target, but once I'm through with the tub I have, I am not buying the line anymore (I've gone through 2 tubs and 2 bottles of KCKT and still don't like it).
I think I really do prefer creams, but I like to alternate with lighter products, which is what I'd like to use this for. SS CEJ was my lighter product for 2nd day hair, but their price point is too high - I'm on a tight budget. FSG is hit and miss. The Okra mudd is also hit and miss, and I'm too lazy to buy preservatives. And I don't really have the freezer space to freeze it - my freezer is absolutely tiny.

I dont like the Alba gel at all though I like my Aussie Instant Freeze, cheap at $2.50 a tube at Target.

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
I STILL have not tried the Aussie Freeze yet. I have to do that!!

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
My Whole Foods officially sucks. I went there Tuesday and they have the Hugo conditioners and shampoos but no gel. I was so bummed!!!
They have the Kinky Curly line but I'm weaning myself off that, LOL. Plus they didn't have the tiny twists, and that's the only thing I'm really tempted to try that I'd give into buying.

While I was there I met a nice mom and daughter with gorgeous red curls The mom looked like she had 3b thick spirals, and the daughter looked like she has more wavy, still thick, maybe 2a curls. Both were really pretty.
I was sooo annoyed though; the woman at Whole Foods (who also looked 2a, she had nice hair but was a little too condscending for my taste!) was not giving them good advice and it was all I could do to bite my tongue. She even told me I shouldn't be using the Kinky Curly or Beautiful Curls lines because my hair "wasn't kinky" - by which I assumed she meant that I wasn't black. After she left, I told the mom, "you don't have to have ethnic hair to use either of these lines; I use them because my hair responds to what's in them, that's how you decide if the product works for you." I don't know if she was ready to take advice from a random woman in the supermarket, though :P I just hate when a so-called expert gives the wrong advice!!

LOL Ok, rant over.
curlypearl likes this.

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
JJC, are you still using Hugo gel and liking it? I got a sample of the shampoo and conditioner at a local store, so maybe they have the gel too. I need to find a substitute for fsg for traveling, etc.

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs
plus 1 for aussie I.F. with CJ ciab, underneath,loved my fsg, the best though, just got lazy:
3a/2a/spirals ultraF-i/ii,med/hi porosity,med/elasticity,colortreated/grey[LIST][*][U]Cowash[/C.J. daily fix,TJ nourish, Condish BCB, Peter Lamas volumizing mixed w a dab of CJ smoothing ,kenra moisture,CJ curl rehab Leaveins,KCKT,KomazaCalifia,GDLIStylers:FSG,*JMOgel,w/ Kenra volumizing mousse KCCC&BRHG, CJ CIAB.w/Aussie freeze gel.FOTE on dry. DT:biolageCB or curl rehab over megatek.
Together (this gel as well as the Alba Strong Hold) is the BEST!
I really get spirally waves!
Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Are you still using the Hugo gel in spring weather? What do you pair it with? How does it compare to SS FHG? I love the touchable hair I get from FHG, and have been willing to sacrifice BRHG-type hold to get it, and am wondering how Hugo compares.

I was thinking of ordering some from drugstore.com:
(Buy Hugo Naturals Styling Gel, Medium Hold & More | drugstore.com) They carry the Aussie instant freeze gel there as well.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Last edited by melaniesusan; 04-02-2012 at 09:46 PM.
I found the Hugo gel at my local health food store but the price point is not budget friendly They are charging $9-$10 for that little 4 or 5 oz tube. I can't justify spending what ends up being $2 an oz. once you figure in tax. I don't know how they justify that kind of markup.
I may buy one tube to give it a try, but I am not sure. In the quantities I use gel - layering over FSG to get a good hold - a little 5oz tube is only going to last maybe 4 times.

I was kind of bummed to see that. My Aussie IF gel is still the best buy, but I'm having issues with it flaking. It only flakes when I layer it over FSG. I can layer it over anything else and it doesn't flake, but over FSG, and I get flakes. I layer other gels over FSG, and no flakes. I combine FSG with Aussie, and flakes. It's weird. And gross looking. Grr.

Always something, you know?

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs
Yeah, I was thinking of trying it too until I saw the price tag and the amount of product. I'm so over these "boutique prices" for small amounts of product. I remember wanting to try John Masters Organics Shine On. $30 for 4oz. Um, I don't think so. Actually, with very few exceptions, I'm just over boutique prices.
Carpool Curly likes this.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
can someone tell me what fsg is? Thank u
Big Chop-3/15/12
Hair type-4a/b

Loving My Naturalness
fsg is flax seed gel. You can make it -- it's cheap and works great to control frizz. Some people can use it w/o anything else. There's a gigantic thread here explaining how to make and use it No-fail flax seed gel - I finally did it...TWICE!
On lucky vitamin it's only 4.79
But aren't you paying shipping? That would drive the price up.

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Ok, JASC, I finally picked up the Hugo gel Been really wanting to, and I finally found it locally for $5.99. Still higher than I like to pay for a 4oz bottle, but I splurged.
Tried it out today, layered over my FSG, and so far the results are... so so. I like it, it has hold, but no frizz fighting properties. My hair is alot frizzier than normal. It's still less frizzy than my pre-CG days, but more frizzy than my Aussie.
I'm going to stick with it though, because I know alot of my disatisfaction with my hair lately is the fact that I need a cut.

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Bump! Who's still using this? I'm getting ready to place a vitacost order and may throw a bottle of this gel in my cart. Would like to see more reviews. Thanks.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, FSG, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Join Date: May 2012
Did anyone have protein issues with this since it's a daily use leave on product?