Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #21

riotkitty's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000

So I tried this first with a little leave in (Curl Fix), Lots of little waves and curls, but very separated, not as much clumping as I like. So I rinsed it out to try again. As I was rinsing I noticed my hair felt smooth, which is probably because of the slippery elm and xanthan. I started again but this time used CCCC lite as my leave-in.

I scrunched it into sections like the mysteryflavor KCCC video. The CCCC lite added a bit of clumping as its the clump master for me but there was still a lot of separation which is ok. As it was air drying I could definitely feel that this has a little hold to it.

Diffusing yielded a great deal of spirals and formed a light crunch that when scrunched out left the hair extremely soft. The dry time was a little on the long side too, though not at as bad as KCCC. I had to kind of rush it and that caused some surface frizz. We are also expecting a snow storm tonight which can cause my hair to frizz up too.

End result, lots of curls, and lots of shine, and very soft hair. However my stubborn straighter areas are acting weird. Its enough hold for me, but I prefer a soft feel, even if I get some frizz.

Has promise but the jury is still out. I need to experiment a little more.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
riotkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #22
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post
Ok so I tried mixing it w/ a bit of UFD's Curly Magic. Scrunched it all in and plopped.

And I totally got those weird waves again! I feel like the waves are big and exaggerated and don't look really natural if that makes sense. It doesn't help that I have to rush off to school so I can't mess with my hair too much.
maybe if you just used a little leave in with it instead of a styler?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #23

riotkitty's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000
Unhappy

Yeah I'm thinking this isn't a keeper for me. The frizz just kept getting worse and worse for me with individual hairs sticking out and that felt coarse and were bending each way. As for hold it had just slightly more than CIAB and none of the frizz control. Also that cucumber scent is nice in the jar but very strong in my hair. I was smelling it all night. And for second day hair, forget it. my hair was the most frizzy I've seen in a really long time and I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

I blamed it on the weather but when I styled with just CCCC lite my pattern looks more uniform and I have none of the frizz. I think this climate just like creme's in the winter more than gels (exception being KCCC, but I can't stand that dry time anymore).

I also had this weird flaking where there were very few, but kind of large flakes that kind of looked like snowflake or a piece of really tiny hail ice(for instance I found just one in my bang area). It wasn't super conspicuous, and wasn't a deal breaker had everything else worked for me.
Have several allergies and sensitivities.
Current products
Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
riotkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #24

Join Date: Jan 2011

I have to say, this is my favorite of all the CJ gels....but I could see how it would not be right for everyone. My hair LOVES the absence of protein, glycerin and aloe. I don't need much help with curl formation so I get REALLY natural definition and hold with shiny bouncy curls. My hair feels sooo healthy. I used to use CIAB and Curl Queen. The CIAB is good but no hold and the Curl Queen is great for hold but the protein makes my hair hard and dry after awhile. So this is just perfect. I have used Beauticurls as a leave in a few times and today I used Curl Rehab as a leave in. Both work great. I do find that I use more of this gel than I would of the CIAB and Curl Queen. I had to experiment a bit. I hope it works for others as well. I just LOVE it.

By the way, my hair is 3A, spiral curls, very fine and tends to be dry and frizzy. (if that helps anyone)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #25

justajesuschick's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

I agree, lj2.
Today I used KCKT, KCCC and topped with a mix of Alba Strong Hold and BRHG. My hair looks good but all I could think is how I wished I had used SS FHG or this new gel instead! I also had to use a lot of it and top it with something stronger. Curl Queen (my hair does better with thicker gels) did nothing for my definition and AFL was awful for me.
For fun, I plan to try PP with CQ on top.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity

Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #26

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

Today I used beauticurl leave in, then scrunched in a good amount of the PP. I then plopped for 10 minutes and started diffusing upside down. Then I scrunched in some CIAB and kept diffusing. I got FABULOUS hair that lasted all day.

So happy!
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC
CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #27
rbb

Join Date: May 2008
Default pp on dry hair

my order came in today and i could not not try out the pp. was having a sort of bad hair day, my hair was very lifeless -- i had used lalsg, and i think it tends to be drying on my hair.
so along comes ups :-) dropping a package at my door. i tried it on dry hair -- my hair was very happy and still is. i'm not sure i'm going to give it a real try tomorrow as i have to be out very early in the am, but i might. but i am pleased to see how well it worked on dry hair. it brought out curls, volume, and no frizz.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #28

MirCurls's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009

I stocked up for the year at the AveYou flash sale (like 300 bucks in CJ products, woo), so I don't see myself buying soon....but the next time, I"ll buy and try, just cause Marsha is a fricken HAIR WIZARD SUPREMO.

And I want to go back in time, have a son, have them get married, and get free CJ as the doting Mother in Law. Snarf.

Anyway, glad some of you are loving it....it's good that the line is expanding so everyone can have CJ holy grails.

Curlqueen is still my fave gel in her line. That and SS FHG make me happy....
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
MirCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #29

Join Date: Jan 2011

My hair is lasting all day too! It is so natural looking and feeling.....I just love this stuff. You do have to use quite a bit more than typical gel.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #30

justajesuschick's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post
Curlqueen is still my fave gel in her line. That and SS FHG make me happy....
I know we have very different hair. You actually have the hair I dream of for myself, but back to my question...how do you use (amount, order of use, o or over what, wet hair, damp hair, etc.) CQ??
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity

Join Date: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by justajesuschick View Post
Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post
Curlqueen is still my fave gel in her line. That and SS FHG make me happy....
You dream of my hair? Like, girl, I gots nice hair, but what's wrong with yours? If you're gonna have dream hair, get some about 3x as thick as mine and less naturally dry, hahahah.

Um, I just use a wee bit, depending--maybe a nickel sized blob to a quarter sized blob. If it's summer and rainy, more. If it's clear and nice, less. I don't like producty hair. I hate hair that doesn't feel...clean and touchable..so less gel is more for me, and most days I don't bother with gel at all except for my crown (to stiffen the roots a bit for minor lift).

I add leave in moisturizer (usually Beauti-curls) and then whatever gel I use. I rub it between my palms, go upside down, and smooth it from middle to bottom, then crown to bottom, then I stand up and just scrunch in the residue and, if I want more, add a scosh to my less curly spots and crown.

Nothing special. For me, moisture and curl enhancers are more important than gel...cause I don't care if my curls loosen, but I do care if my hair looks dry or frizzled. Moisture matters more than tight curls.

I tend to run my fingers through my hair to demat/get loose hairs on 2nd and other subsequent days, so if I need to reclump, I might use CJ Smoothign Lotion or SS CEJ and then a bit of CurlQueen. But most times, just smoothing lotion of CEJ, cause I just need a bit of reclumping after dematting.

I like 2nd and 3rd day hair cause it looks fluffier and longer...as the curls sort of relax a bit.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

MirCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #32

Oops...double-post! See below
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products

Last edited by icequeen; 12-01-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #33

Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer View Post

So happy!
I'm still experimenting with PP and plan to try your technique tomorrow. What did you use for a rinse-out cond?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #34

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

I used the the daily argan and olive oil conditioner.
3a with some 2c thrown in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #35

Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer View Post
I used the the daily argan and olive oil conditioner.
Thanks for the info. I've used the Strengthening Cond. the last two days and haven't had much luck with the PP. I usually have good hair days with the Strengthening Cond. The Beauticurls LI did help today. Will try your technique tomorrow but may try the Curl Rehab. My rinse-out always makes a major difference in my hair so will keep experimenting. I love the feel of my hair with PP but have not had good definition and ended up with frizz by mid-afternoon. Your hair looks great!

Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #36

Join Date: Jan 2011

I have found that with this particular gel, heavier conditioner works better (at least for me). Today I used curl rehab as rinse out and leave in. I had the best curls today. When I used Curl Queen, I used a lighter conditioner as rinse out and leave in. This gel does take some experimenting but is worth it if you can figure out the right combo for you.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #37

Join Date: Sep 2010

OMG. By now I have learned not to tempt myself by reading threads about expensive products that I will never try like this one -- but I was so excited when I read someone mention a sorta harder hold natural gel, that I had to read this, and now I WANT IT!!! LOL! I like thick, goopy, grabby gels, too. I just cannot justify 20-some-odd dollars on hair products, though. Sigh...I'm such a cheap PJ!
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
wavynwild16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #38

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

Originally Posted by wavynwild16 View Post
You should dooooo it! It is 16 oz I think and it will last a long, long time. At least get a sample from someone!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #39

rymorg2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006

Got my tub in WOOT WOOT!

Yes, it's thicker and globbier than the original formula I tried. Not necessarily a bad thing though. Today I did this:

Shampoo with Gentle Cleansing Shampoo (would you believe my first time EVER using it??? LOVE it....), conditioned with HBDF, a little CF as a LI (which is unusual for me) and the the PP gel. I did scrunch in a little bit of the AFG (regular, which I've gone back to recently instead of the light which isn't working anymore) on top cause I got some on my hands. We'll see how this holds up all day compared to what the original formula I tested did, but the original was a HG product!

I like soft, defined hold, which is what I got with the original, but I'm sure I'll get the same with this one too.

And the smell doesn't bother me AT ALL....so those with sensitivities will likely not have issues with it.

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
rymorg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #40

Naturalista's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

I had dip back in to holla... MIR!? Like seeing a daggone ghost. Hey lady! -waves-

I tried the thin original one and it was no winner for me. It needed tweaks to make it a little more well-rounded gel. The second batch I tried was much better, and the finished product I'm excited to get! Hurry up mailman!
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam