UPDATED! Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha Hair Gel-first thoughts

Updating on this AM's use of the tweaked version!

Well, so far so good! VERY shiny (she's right, more than the other) and I did get enhancement like with the first batch I tried (WOOHOO) and it looks like the hold is good, but definitely more than the other batch just like she said. It's a little crunchy so when it's completely dry I'll be SOTC and I'll update again at the end of the day.

STILL HG STATUS!!!!

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
I had dip back in to holla... MIR!? Like seeing a daggone ghost. Hey lady! -waves-

I tried the thin original one and it was no winner for me. It needed tweaks to make it a little more well-rounded gel. The second batch I tried was much better, and the finished product I'm excited to get! Hurry up mailman!
Originally Posted by Naturalista
Hello, Dr. Curly!!!! Yeah, I dip in and out of the place. Did post current pics in the AG pics thread in this section.... heh.

I guess with Rymorg and you liking it, I'll eventually cave before next NOvember and get me some.
rymorg2 likes this.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I have found that with this particular gel, heavier conditioner works better (at least for me). Today I used curl rehab as rinse out and leave in. I had the best curls today. When I used Curl Queen, I used a lighter conditioner as rinse out and leave in. This gel does take some experimenting but is worth it if you can figure out the right combo for you.
Originally Posted by lj2
I used Curl Rehab today as my rinse out and then CurlyFarmers method with Beauticurls as my LI, PP, plop, diffuse a little and then some CIAB. It worked! Much curlier, clumps, still soft and it lasted all day. I'm thinking the heavier rinse-out helped as well as the CIAB.
3a Colored, Layered
Currently loving:
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
Yay! I am glad it worked for you.
I think you'll like it, Mir!

Ohhhhhhh my wurls stayed ALL DAY exactly like I like them, soft but defined with hold but no crunch and what crunch I did have scrunched out easily! LOVE this gel, it's a definite HG and I'll be using it OFTEN! YAYYY MARSHA!!!!

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
You guys! You're making me jealous
There's a youtube review:

KCCC

Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

Mine was waiting for me when we got back from vacation. I cannot wait to try it out!!! Although with my short hair everything is more of of a styler than when I used products on my longer hair.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I'm on Day 3 hair and looking fab! Hair is so soft and defined.

Here's day 1 video if you wanna see my hair: http://video.l3.fbcdn.net/cfs-l3-snc...c06c2264f23860

Facebook|Twitter
I think you'll like it, Mir!

Originally Posted by rymorg2
Cosigning on the HG status! This is like my first HG gel. I now have 2 HG's! I feel like tossing stuff out almost. Lol!

Facebook|Twitter
I was SOOOO excited about this gel until I watched your video. HEY! It did not give ME hair like that!! haha! So, great, now I WANT YOUR HAIR!!! Oh, my goodness, your hair is fab! Big, shiny, soft spirals!

It will be great if this product continues to be a hit across the wavy-curly spectrum.

Originally Posted by Naturalista
Great video, Naturalista! Now you have runway hair!

How would you compare CJ Pattern Pusha gel to KCCC and SS FHG? The texture/consistency in the jar looks similar to both.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
naturalista -- i take it pp did not work well without a leave in for you?
i have not tried it solo, was going to today. and i will also try it with the smoothing conditioner as marsha says they work well together.
your hair is GORGEOUS!!!! wow! love the movement pp gives your hair.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Originally Posted by Naturalista
Great video, Naturalista! Now you have runway hair!

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I'm on my phone and can't do the multiquote thing, so..

Thanks ladies! You rock!

IA about the consistency but it's closer to FHG and I can't use FHG as a solo styler. I have to follow with a hard hold gel on top. The KCCC and PP are alike in that I don't need to follow with anything more, and if I'm too heavy handed I can flake a little. The PP doesn't have the steep learning curve and my hair is much more manageable vs. KCCC. KCCC gives me wig hair most times. It looks great but it doesn't move and it's not that great to touch.

RBB: actually, I can use this without a LI and while testing batch 2 I discovered my naked hair liked it fine. This time the dew was like 17 though and I wanted to play with my Chocolat condish so I tested it on a section. It looked awesome so I kept going!

Ok, I haven't bought FHG in a while and you ladies just made me miss it.

Facebook|Twitter
Naturalista, your hair is really looking good.

I got the Pattern Pusha last week, but have only used it once--so didn't want to comment. It's that first time "fabulous" effect. I'm a fine crafter and doing a big show this whole week. I took a chance and used the Pattern Pusha last Friday (first day of the show and I was there 10-9.) Used it with Curl Fix as my leave in. My hair looked good enough that several strangers came up to me and told me my hair was great! I don't usually do second day hair, but my hair looked good enough that I smoothed a little water on it and scrunched in a little more PP. It as acceptable to me--and I'm pretty picky.

Overall, my curls were in really nice spirals, my hair had a "good" shape, but not as much volume. I'll probably use it again at the end of the week.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
Originally Posted by melaniesusan
I compared it earlier in this thread. To me it is like a mixture of them both.

Thanks KM!

Facebook|Twitter
Mine's on its way, and I can't wait to try it. I noticed that Naturalista said it elongated her curls.

I'm hoping for more spring action enhancement and less elongation on mine. The instructions say that it depends on how you put it in. Has everyone found this to be true?

Is it elongating everyone's curls? Will I need to use something else with it to get curl enhancement?
Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair

Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

Originally Posted by CurlyLinZee
My waves grow in "elongated". I would never buy a product that elongated-I'd be paying for straight hair! haha! This gives me springy, waves and curls. I'd almost say that they shrink up, which is what I am after.
This is why I am so intrigued that this product seems to meet many needs across many hair types.
CurlyLinZee likes this.

Originally Posted by CurlyLinZee
It actually held my curl true to its pattern. No elongation.
CurlyLinZee likes this.
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC