Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #81

sheilacurl's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by curlykey View Post
One more question.....can you purchase this gel anywhere other than the CJ site?
The best deal I found (so far) is at aveyou.com Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha Hair Styling Gel, 16 fl. oz.

Make sure to use the coupon code: FIVE to save 15% so with shipping included it comes to $25.40
Location For Dew Points: Michigan

sheilacurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #82

Mimi2010's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011

@SC thanks for the info. I'm happy to know that aveyou has CJ PP now.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
sheilacurl likes this.
Mimi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #83

finite33's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I got a sample of this from Kathymack bc so many people liked it....but I am not one of them. I did not like the smell & my hair had poor waves & hold even with BRHG on top of it. I haven't had luck with any CJ products...I don't plan to buy them anymore.
2c fine waves
Loo-poo: Avalon, Andalou, As I Am - NO SULFATES!
Cond: Avalon, Andalou, Kinky Curly - NO SILCONES!
Gel: KCCC, products with no silicones or polyquats
wish I had more curls
Also looking for suggestions & help
finite33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #84

Join Date: Jul 2007

Used it for the first time today.

No hold but then the only gel that gives me hold is BRHG and even then its a light hold.

My hair has a nice shine to it and the curls look nice - but nothing amazingly different.

I have noticed some white flaking throughout my hair - which usually happens when the gel doesn't like the leave-in conditioner. I used Kinky Curly Knot Today.

Anyone else had a similar reaction?
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #85

AllieCat0817's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007

The one thing keeping me from buying this stuff is the flaking that many people have reported with the first version of this. Apparently the flaking is 'less of an issue' with the reformulated version. But if you guys are still getting flakes then blah. It's picky with the leave-in.

I am personally heavy handed. I hate flakes with a passion. And for $24 for 16oz somethin is telling me don't go there. It's in my AveYou cart but about to be removed. Maybe I will do a sample from Kathy Mack... great idea.
3c/4a Natural
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #86

DEL2C's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

If mixing your LI's creates undesirable results consider ditching the LI, even if you think you need it you may not with CJ. CJ stylers are concentrated and moisturizing, consider it a perk if you don't have to layer as many products to get good results. I find less is more as a general rule with CJ stylers.....I don't usually need anything else except a styler & hard hold gel when I use her stuff.
Discovered CG 2007

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Last edited by DEL2C; 02-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.
DEL2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #87

angel29ish's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

I've been experimenting with PP for just over a week. I've tried it over various CJ conditioners/LI's. My favorites so far are Hibiscus and Banana Honey Butta and Smoothing Conditioner. With these two, my curls hold up through the whole day. With all others I've tried, I will get some surface frizz by mid afternoon. PP definitely gives me very soft bouncy curls, but maybe too soft. Del, I'm going to be brave, go without a LI (yikes!) and try PP solo (crosses fingers).
DEL2C likes this.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
angel29ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #88

frxncrls's Avatar

Join Date: May 1999
Send a message via AIM to frxncrls Send a message via Yahoo to frxncrls Send a message via Skype™ to frxncrls

Is PP still a loved product? Any one using it in higher dew points?
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha, botanical spirits magic curls puree
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats
frxncrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #89
lj2

Join Date: Jan 2011

I loved it at first and used it consistently for about 4 months. I loved the soft natural curls I got. But recently my hair started getting really dry especially around the back of my neck....this is unusual when I use CJ products. I experimented with many different CJ leave ins underneath and used the gentle shampoo(thinking it was build up). I just switched back to CJ Curl Queen and the problem is gone. Not sure if something in the PP was building up on my hair or drying it out. I can't figure out what it was and maybe it is just my hair. I wondered if others were having the same issue. But once again, Curl Queen works wonders. I really wanted to like this gel but I just wonder if Curl Queen is more moisturizing.
lj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #90
lj2

Join Date: Jan 2011

Oh, and in high dews, I think Curl Queen would do better. At least for me, Curl Queen provides more hold than PP...but PP did ok in high dews where I live.
lj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #91

JRock's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I'm not sure of this product yet. I used it with the CJDF & a leave-in but it didn't make too much of a difference to my curls. They were soft but my hair was still frizzy and stringy. I ended up using EcoStyler on top & then SOTC. I like that combination but will still experiment.

Fat Thumbs + iPhone = Errors 
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #92

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

Are people still using CJ Pattern Pusha in high dews? If so, what combos are working for you?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #93

msgiblet's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006

Has been working great and consistently in high dews - even worked great in Aruba with 80+ dews last week. I've been using Shescentit Coco Creme LI, then PP topped with a tiny dab of BRHG.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #94

Join Date: Apr 2012

Hmmm I think I will get a sample of this before purchasing a whole bottle just in case.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #95

MotorCurl's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012

I've used PP with CJ Beauticurls LI several times. Each time, I got some really pretty ringlets that I don't normally get mixed with weak waves and stragglers. I got lots of frizz in my canopy every time. Dews are in the high 60s and 70s. I'm going to try it without the LI and see if that improves things. I want to love this product!
2C/2B; Med-fine texture, Normal porosity/elasticity, med-thin density; Color treated
Cleanse: Jessicurl GLS, L'Oreal EverCreme cleansing conditioner
Co-Wash: SNES, VO5 Kiwi Lime
RO/LI: Jessicurl Aloeba and TooShea!, KCKT, GVPCB
Stylers: KCCC (HG!), SM C&S Milk, BRHG, Jessicurl Gelebration Spray, Confident Coils
CG since 4/23/12
Located in Houston, Texas

"Hair really is the crowning glory of a woman. It lights up her person, it frames her face, it makes a halo around her." - Ann Harding
MotorCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #96

MotorCurl's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012

Tried Pattern Pusha again today without a leave in. Co-washed and conditioned, then used about 8 pumps of PP smoothed through the lengths and scrunched into the ends. Much less frizz today, but the curls are a lot softer, no ringlets and the ends are a little stringy looking. Temps in the mid-90s and dews in the high 60s.
Cleanse: Jessicurl GLS, L'Oreal EverCreme cleansing conditioner

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #97

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

Has anyone else had their tub of PP go bad? I bought mine in November and used it just a few times, but shelved in a cool closet it for warmer weather. When I opened it, its gone rancid
3a with some 2c thrown in
pw: cow

Currently Loving:
Shampoo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Smoothing, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Beauticurls Leave-in

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers -CJ Curl Queen, CJ CCCC Lite, CJ CIAB, CJ Pattern Pusha, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, Mop-C Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, KCCC
CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #98
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

mine is still good. i don't think that should have happened in so short a time and in a cool place???
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #99

CurlyHairedFarmer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Send a message via AIM to CurlyHairedFarmer

I agree. There are thick strings of yellow/white/brown in it and it smells pretty darn bad. I hadn't been using my fingers to dip in it either, I had transferred some to a squeeze bottle for use in the bathroom.
3a with some 2c thrown in

CurlyHairedFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #100
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

i wonder if it is due to the squeeze bottle, not its original container? does the jar also seem rancid, or just the ones in the bottle?

there was an article once by the curl chemist about doing that -- said it has to be refrigerated and is only good for a short time.

??????????