Curly Kinks

I messaged her about purchasing some satin roots (which I shouldve done first) and she is adding it to my order and since I bought two of the 8 oz bottles, she offered me the 16 oz and a refund for the difference...very nice of her. Shipping for the first item is around $5 for the first product and .50 cents for the second + which is a much better price. I'm really hoping these products work well for me. I'm excited!
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
Well, if you've been on 4a, then you know I've tried this stuff and it's not KCCC, nor is it UFD, it's the softest (produces a soft, frizz free look) yet most hydrating of them all. I liked the LI and the styler, but the shipping and the fact that I have stuff that works just as well wouldn't make me repurchase unless there was a real sale.
Originally Posted by Naturalista
nat -- how would you compare it to cj pp??

and, you are right -- the shipping is $$ . i will check her out on etsy and consider it. wish it were on aveyou.com!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I got a very generous gift card from my students' parents today. i think this just be part of my shopping spree!

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
I'm trying it. Of course I am! haha! Getting samples from Kathy first.

The only thing that is getting predictable for me (other than my hair only barely tolerates aloe and does not like jojoba at all) is that I seem to do well with things many others do not and vice versa so this, like everything else, has a 50/50 of working for me.

It is worth a try.

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Hi, everyone! Do you think that the Satin Roots and Coil Jam would work on fine, wavy hair? I'm such a PJ -- and am so intrigued by the idea of frizz-free curls!
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

Originally Posted by LeanneM
Actually, curl type means very little. My hair has always been fine. When I started out on nc.com, it was winter wavy/summer 3a. After learning to use products and the right curl enhancing techniques, it looks like my signature picture all year around.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
Originally Posted by Naturalista
nat -- how would you compare it to cj pp??

Originally Posted by rbb
PP has more hold and I don't need to use a LI with it. I also get more movement too. However, I can be heavy with CK and not flake. The PP flakes on me if I'm too heavy handed.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam

]
Facebook|Twitter
Originally Posted by LeanneM
Originally Posted by kathymack
Thanks for the response, Kathymack! I've found that my hair can get weighed down pretty easily, which is why I was worried. I think I'll be trying them out!
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG

My package was shipped the next day!! Woohoo!! I should have them soon .
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
I am gonna try one of the samples today. Not certain which one. Perhaps the Coil Jam.

The scent is like Aquolina Pink Sugar to me. A spicy, musky vanilla scent. I SURE hope that the fragrance will not be a problem for my sensitivities.

The Satin Roots is much thicker than I expected. More so than KCKT.

I'll have to let you know what I try today and how I do!

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
I tried a dime size of Satin Roots scrunched into dripping wet hair and then scrunched dry with t-shirt. I then mixed Coil Jam and BRHG in hand and applied. I was going to just use Coil Jam but read that they should be used together for best results.

I am ALWAYS heavy handed with product.

To be certain that I was judging these products on their own merit, I used my regular shampoo and conditioner. I also chose not to use an additional "curl cream" as I normally would.

The Satin Roots is very rich. Richer than something I would normally use. My hair did look less curly when wet. However, I did not use CJ DF or KCCC so I am not surprised.

My hair came out great! The fragrance did seem to bother me (itchy eyes and nose, not scalp) just at first. Now that it has dissipated, I am fine. I would likely ask if she would offer products fragrance free.

My hair is soft but has good volume and really nice curl.

I would buy more of this product. I do not know if I would buy both or if I would just buy the Jam. Texture-wise, it reminds me very much of CJ PP.

Here are a couple of pics right after I SOTC. My hair clip was not cooperative so the pinned up part looks more dramatic than usual:

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM

Last edited by justajesuschick; 12-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Thanks for posting photos, Justajesuschick! I really want to order these and have been waffling back and forth since I really don't need new hair products, but your post might have pushed me over the edge to order! Your hair looks great, and you also have such a beautiful smile!
SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG

Glad it worked for you! Your hair looks so shiny, too.

Can't wait to get mine and try it out!
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
Glad it worked for you! Your hair looks so shiny, too.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Thanks!
My hair really is naturally shiny. I wonder if it has to do with my really being naturally straight just medically wavy. KCCC can leave me with a wet, shiny look which I do not like. This did not do that at all.

Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
I also love these products. I raved about them when i first tried them out. The Satin Roots it satin to my hair. It is a great leave in for my coils. Also the Coil Jam is much like KCCC but way less drying time and no glossy white looking patches throughout my hair is if apply too much. And then I used the sample of the CurlCue ReNew DC she sent me. My hair had really been abused for a couple days and I was so nervous. I applied that DC and it melted my tangles and knots as if it was made for my hair. WOW!!!!
I purchased a full size of the DC a couple days later. It was a little different than the sample size i received. It was still o.k., but just not the same.

BUT,,,,,, I love her products and will continue to purchase them. Great quality. Great smell. and the prices are pretty average for our hair stuff so that is good with me. lol
Lovin my coils and my straight PJ'ism
Been natural for about 3 years but Bc'd July 2010
------------
FAVORITE PRODUCTS:
Oyin hair dew,CJSL, AOMM,OSHP
Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
Bed Head moisture maniac
Jojoba oil,Amla oil,AVPWHG,
Ojon restorative hair treatment
Mozeke CHB, Fleurzty CNC
CurlyKinks Coil Jam, Satin Roots
Nubian Heritage Mango butter
Ok ok ok........I'll stop for now.
I tried the Satin Roots and Coil Jam as well today. When I was scrunching in the the SR my hair seemed to separate quite a bit but scrunching in the CJ made it all clump together again! I plopped, scrunched in CJ CQ and plopped again. I think the CQ pulled out my waves a bit so next time I think I will mix the Coil Jam w/ my gel.

Overall I think it has a lot of promise. I'm definitely going to play around a bit with it but I like what I'm seeing so far!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I got my package today!!!!!!! I will try these first thing tomorrow!! I will report back with results. I did take the cap off to see what the scent is like, love it! Such a light scent .
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
Kathy...Where is the protein in the Jam and Satin Roots? Apparently it has it and it's just not a protein I know about. I don't do well with protein in my styling products and Li. I'm also wondering if the glycerin will be a problem in the winter.
Crap! I ordered both satin roots and coil jam yesterday. Totally missed that they both have glycerin. Boo! I try to avoid simply for color purposes (red hair). Oh well....it is kind of far down in the ingredient list so hopefully it will be ok.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Location:Sunny Florida