Curly Kinks

Kathy...Where is the protein in the Jam and Satin Roots? Apparently it has it and it's just not a protein I know about. I don't do well with protein in my styling products and Li. I'm also wondering if the glycerin will be a problem in the winter.
Originally Posted by ChrissyC
How do you know it has a protein in it that you don't know?? Did you read it somewhere?? My hair LOVES protein, so it wouldn't bother me. But I, too, don't see a protein in either product.

Glycerin doesn't seem to bother me, either. Especially, if I use a moisture rich leave in. Or, I always assumed that it was the case.

I contacted the owner, Monique Fordyce, to give her the link to my review. We "chatted" a bit via email. She's planning to come out with a glycerin free version of the Coil Jam (While keeping the original, too. I was worried about a formula change of a great thing!) sometime next year.

I just looked up the product review on naturallycurly and it said it wasn't protein free. I should have been more specific about that. Sometimes I wonder how accurate they are, but my ingredient knowledge is something I'm still working on! I guess it could be lurking in there somewhere.
3a or b depending on the weather, medium texture, pretty dense, normal porosity.
Have to be careful of protein
cowash: Elucence and CJDF
conditioners: AOHR, CJHB deep fix,
LI: currently liking Marie Dean Mango Detangler, KCKT
Stylers: Usually mix very small amounts of BRHG with CJCIAB, HETT, DMMCG or whatever is under the sink and might work that day!
Latest discovery: Marie Dean Amla Hair Creme Proless works great on top of any gel combination. Well, at least in the current low dews!
Crap! I ordered both satin roots and coil jam yesterday. Totally missed that they both have glycerin. Boo! I try to avoid simply for color purposes (red hair). Oh well....it is kind of far down in the ingredient list so hopefully it will be ok.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Rednaturalcurls
My hair also dislikes glycerin in the low dews but it didn't bother me in these products!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Originally Posted by ChrissyC
I may be missing something. I just looked it up the Coil Jam Curly Kinks Coil Jam Natural Styling Gel - NaturallyCurly.com and Satin Roots Curly Kinks Satin Roots Natural Leave-In Detangler - NaturallyCurly.com on the product reviews and don't see anything that says it has protein or wasn't protein free. It just doesn't have the protein free symbol, but that doesn't mean it has protein. It just means someone didn't list the protein free symbol.

Originally Posted by ChrissyC
The large amount of plant extracts high on the list along with the sea kelp would keep the items from being protein free on my head.

Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Originally Posted by kathymack
A glycerin free option would be awesome! Good to know I dont think I have an issue with glycerin per say. At least not in how my hair reacts to it. I just try to avoid solely because it can strip color in red shades quicker. However should I love what the product does for my hair, glycerin be damned. I will just color more often. Lol! But a possible glycerin free version would be even better. Yay!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Location:Sunny Florida
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Last edited by Rednaturalcurls; 12-30-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
I thought it might be the sea kelp, too. I looked it up. "Sea kelp contains over sixty essential vitamins, minerals, and trace elements." No protein there.

I'm not a scientist, just thinking about the days when I didn't eat "flesh" type foods and looked for ways to get protein in my diet. I think of the food combining, like beans and rice, etc. IMHO, it's a stretch to think that a few drops (even a teaspoonful) of plant extract is going to have the appropriate amino acid combinations to make complete chains of protein. Or, at least enough to affect protein sensitivity in hair.

Maybe I'm wrong about this. However, I still don't see anything in the review that says this product has protein.

FYI, I decided to look up the DT--Curlycue ReNew is described as protein free (which was disappointing to me) in the description on the website. It has the following ingredients:

Distilled Water, Certified Organic Burdock Root (Arctium lappa), Certified Organic Amla (Emblica officianalis) , Certified Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense), Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Guarsilk, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Which include some of the plant extracts that are in the other products.

It depends on the hair sensitivity. I know that on mine, it would feel proteiny, as other sea plant things have done. It won't be enough to give someone good nutrition, but it'd be enough to jack up my hair.

At any rate, I wouldn't tell someone not to try it unless their hair was pretty picky about proteins. It isn't heavy duty in that regard.

Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
This is me too! But I'll probably still try it at some point, cuz that's just the way I am.
3a (protein sensitive)
Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
Conditioners: CJCR, CK Renew
Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
Stylers: HEBE, UFDCM
Deep Conditioner: CJCR
Standby items:GVP K-Pak
Jusduit-you are just like me!!

My hair is not a big fan of protein nor glycerin (gives me a gummy/dry greasy feel) but it really liked this product.

I'd prefer a glycerin free formula. A bigger thing for me, though, would be a fragrance free version.
MirCurls likes this.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity

Curl Enhancer:
CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler,CJRM
Jusduit-you are just like me!!

Originally Posted by justajesuschick
Yippee!! You've got me beat by a mile in the shine department though!

I agree, it would be awesome if there was a fragrance free version. Not because I have any sensitivities, but because while I like many hair product fragrances, I just prefer not to smell it all.day.long!
3a (protein sensitive)

Stylers: HEBE, UFDCM
Deep Conditioner: CJCR
Standby items:GVP K-Pak

Originally Posted by redcelticcurls

Which include some of the plant extracts that are in the other products.
Originally Posted by kathymack
You are right, the review doesn't say anything about protein. I always pull up the ingredient list and look for the symbols. If it doesn't say protein free, I have always assumed it had protein. I thought that was the whole point of those symbols! Ah well, live and learn. I'm not sure about the sea kelp but I guess you never know until you try.
I ordered samples from Kathymack and I've been playing with them. For the longest time my hair hated protein but recently it seems I need some everyday. I've been using Silk Naturals Coconut Argan Conditioner. I tried using this without it and it was just ok. The shampoo I haven't had much success with. But when I mixed a little Silk Naturals and the Satin Roots condish together I had much better luck. Then I mixed a tiny bit of the coil jam and silk naturals curl gel together. I put Jessicurl CC mixed with Jane Carter Condition and Sculpt over everything daily. When I did this combo it worked out really well. I'm going to keep messing with it because I'm growing out a terrible haircut but so far so good. I use very small amounts of everything my hair seems to react better that way.
I am very pleased with these products and will probably be buying the full sized versions! The glycerin doesn't seem to bother me at all. I think I like the combo of the SR and CJ better than other products I already have (like the CJ Pattern Pusha). I do get a bit of crunch but I don't mind that at all.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I would be very interested in trying the cleanse. I've been trying to find what might work for me so I can get started, a.s.a.p. I would be interested in trying several of their products, if I could. I spent a good 2 hours on Curl Mart, looking at recommendations for products based on hair types, & rave reviews. Several in this line seemed like they were meant for my hair, if it were not for aloe. I've shut the door on that amazing plant. I went back and looked at a bottle of alcohol free rose petal witch hazel toner I'd bought to pair with an organic rose petal face milk (I'm a monster PJ too, on every level). It had broken my face out in a weird itchy rash. It contains aloe. Helped me fully confirm my (hair reaction) suspicions that I'm sadly, and simply, allergic to it.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Last edited by Fifi.G; 01-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
These products sound great! I'm definitely going to order some asap! Has anyone tried the Curl ReFresh?
2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

Originally Posted by britney.
I got a sample with my last order. I never do second day hair and refreshers just don't work for me, so I didn't expect anything and wasn't disappointed. I am thinking about trying it on second day hair. I just haven't had time (got another line of products to try, LOL!)

Does the Coil Jam have good hold and reduce shrinkage? &Does the Satin Roots leave-in have enough slip to detangle with?

Sent from my LG-P509 using CurlTalk App

Last edited by CaseyGoNatural; 01-11-2012 at 06:39 PM.
My hair looked awesome with these products. So far, I have used the Curlycue Renew DT, Twirly Curl Cleanse, Satin Roots LI and the Coil Jam.

Renew:
The DT is a true DT. My hair was like silk after using it. I didn't even use it with heat - just wrapped my hair in a towel and left it for awhile. I definitely couldn't use this too often because it works so well. I was due for a good DT after my last colour/highlight. The Renew got my hair back in shape. It has great slip, is lightly fragranced and melted my tangles.

Cleanse:
This is a different cleanser. It is extremely mild. If you have to have a lot of suds, this is not for you. Like many natural cleansers, it is quite thin. I rubbed it between my hands and put it directly on my scalp. It rinses really well and leaves your hair feeling soft and clean.

Satin Roots LI:
I tend to be heavy handed with products. This LI is quite concentrated. I didn't need a lot. It also has great slip; it distributes easily and leaves your hair well moisturized.

Coil Jam:
This product left my hair really curly. I finger combed a small amount through the hair in the back of my head and then tipped my head over and scrunched it in. I then scrunched in approximately a dime of light to medium hold gel, plopped, scrunched In a small amount of CIAB & diffused. (I always use a serum type product regardless of what product I use. I find it prevents frizz).

My curls sprung up right away. It didn't take any longer than normal to diffuse. After it was completely dry, I SOTC with Oyin's Whipped Pudding. My curls were really soft and well defined, but I still had great volume.

Fragrance:
I can be sensitive to some fragrances; I can get terrible headaches. While this scent isn't my favourite, it is lightly fragranced and it fades once it is dry. While I was aware of it while it dried, it never gave me a headache. I can't say that I love the fragrance, but I don't dislike it either, scent is a very personal thing. What smells amazing to some, is offensive to others. My main requirement is that it can't be floral, cant be too strong, fades when dry and of course, no headaches. It passes all my requirements!

I highly recommend this line. It is great value for the money and works amazingly well.
LeanneM likes this.

Last edited by FrizzBgone; 01-04-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: .
Originally Posted by kathymack
Heard back from Monique about the protein question, "The products are protein free to clarify, the person that loaded it on Naturally Curly did not add the correct symbols but it is protein free."
ChrissyC likes this.