Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #61

justajesuschick's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone View Post
Fragrance:
I can be sensitive to some fragrances; I can get terrible headaches. While this scent isn't my favourite, it is lightly fragranced and it fades once it is dry. While I was aware of it while it dried, it never gave me a headache. I can't say that I love the fragrance, but I don't dislike it either, scent is a very personal thing. What smells amazing to some, is offensive to others. My main requirement is that it can't be floral, cant be too strong, fades when dry and of course, no headaches. It passes all my requirements!
It only bothered me a touch. I emailed and asked if it could be ordered fragrance free and I received a sweet note back indicating that the product is made in batches so no customizing can be done at this time.

My hair looked so good with it (Coil Jam) that I a going to order it anyway.
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity

justajesuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #62

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

See I don't think the scent fades much, I can still smell it whenever I turn my head fast! But I like it, I think it smells like cake, haha!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #63

angel29ish's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

I received my Curly Kinks (Satin Roots and Coil Jam) last Friday. I love it! Great pick kam!
I cleansed with CJDF, used a quarter sized amount of LI raked and scrunched in and used a quarter sized amount of Jam mixed with BRHG scrunched in. After I diffused, I had a nice gel cast that scrunched out beautifully. My hair was so soft! It had great curl definition, volume and best of all no frizz.
Now for my dilemma...hubs and son hate the fragrance! Neither of them want me to use it again. I don't mind the fragrance and found it mild enough that it didn't bother me. I scrunched in a wee bit of Oyin Burnt Sugar pomade to try disguising the scent. It worked for a while, but within a short time both guys said they could still smell it. Grrrrr! I'm open to any suggestions on how I might cover the scent.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Too many others to list!
angel29ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #64

Join Date: Jan 2008

I took the products with me to the salon yesterday when I got my haircut/highlight. My stylist LOVED the smell, so I left what I brought with him (he's a good friend.) I can't understand what's not to like. I really love the scent, too. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

My thought is to take an EO and mix it in. I'd try a little bit to start (maybe to a small amount) and see if that works. I think most scents would go with the "vanilla" scent of the products. You could do lavender or lemongrass.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #65

angel29ish's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

I agree! I love vanilla scented products. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to play around with a couple of EO's.
3B, fine, low/normal porosity
CG - July 2009
Too many others to list!
angel29ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #66

Join Date: Oct 2008

Just had to drop in and say that these have been my go to products since the day I received them . My hair is in love , I love the scent too! I have used both the satin roots and coil jam every time I've washed my hair since day one with awesome results each time!! I have mixed the jam with SSCEJ and with BRHG just to see how different my results would be. I don't necessarily need more hold with the jam but the CJ/BRHG combo gives me better second day hair. My hair will start to dry crunchy with the CJ but as I diffuse, it always ends up soft an touchable. I like that the CJ is not sticky or tacky. I dont have to wash my hands when I'm done applying because it doesn't feel like I have "gel" on my hands. I'm soooo glad I ordered the larger sized containers of both. I think I'm going to transfer the CJ to a pump bottle though. These two products should last me quite a while as well.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #67

Fifi.G's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011

*Update to my earlier reply*

The door to aloe has been re-opened, along with wheat proteins. I'm still unsure about the cause of my earlier hair/skin reactions. Who knows. I was having a reaction to several things I came in contact with. I read the ingredients on VO5 hot oil treatment, which has always responded well with my hair, and aloe & WP are the bulk. I've started using products that contain aloe, proteins, limited chemicals, and have been co washing for a week. The results have been wonderful! My hair even held up well during my final (and dreaded) color correct. Sigh of relief. I can now try some of these products!

3a/b (much damage to curl), HP, Medium/thick D (can't confirm until hair grows), Medium/coarse T (depending on layer). Giovanni Smooth as Silk Co, LI treatment, Natural Mousse or gel. Jojoba Oil. Mineral Fussion Curl Care low poo (if needed).
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #68

allcurly1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012

After reading through the thread, I am definately going to try the curly kinks!!!
allcurly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #69

Curly Sara's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
Being the product strumpet I am, I have a new LOVE--Curly Kinks. Curly Kinks - Natural curling gelly & products for kinky curly coily hair types. When I read the thread in the 4a forum, folks talked about it being another clone of the Kinky Curly products. It's not. It's MUCH better, IMHO.

I rarely use the same product in a week, but my hair was so incredible on Saturday--I had to try these products again, so I could write about them. My hair was funky last week. Like I used a product with an ingredient it didn't like.

First of all, I have to say that the smell is divine--like a cross between vanilla and baby powder. It's light and really nice. They call it their signature scent and it's in all of the products. It's one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled in a product.

Twirly Curl Cleanse: Water, Mentha piperita (Pepperment) Leaf Extract, Yucca Leaf Extract, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Melissa officinalis (Melissa) Leaf Extract, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (derived from natural source), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, PEG -7 Olivate (derived from olive oil), Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance, Citric Acid

Satin Roots: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Coil Jam: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Sea Kelp, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, Agave Nectar, Olive Oil, Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil , Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes alba) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Frangrance, Citric Acid

I started with the cleanser because it had coco b far down on the list. It didn't foam or get sudsy, but it did remove whatever was in my hair. I styled with a small amount of the Satin Roots (a small blob on my canopy, and a small blob upside down) that I finger combed in and scrunched upside down. I repeated with the Coil Jam. Went through my normal drying routine--wrapped in a Curlease while I dressed and did makeup, CLU to scrunch out the water and diffuse upside down without touching hair for about five minutes. Air dried the rest of the way. My hair had a little crunch which I scrunched out with bare hands. While I was out, I got lots of hair compliments from strangers--my hair was that perfect. Beautiful spirals and NO frizz!

I used the two styling products again today with the same results. My hair was fabulous again. It even started to rain later in the day and I got it rained on twice. Top is a little flatter, but the curls are still perfect and there is still no frizz.

These products are a definite keeper! I already placed my second order and bought the DT (even though I don't DT, I thought that I could use it as a li/curl enhancer.)

Curlycue ReNew: Distilled Water, Certified Organic Burdock Root (Arctium lappa), Certified Organic Amla (Emblica officianalis) , Certified Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense), Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Guarsilk, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance
Which hairtype do you have, kathymack??

Sent from my HTC Desire using CurlTalk App
Hair type/properties:
3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
-Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
-Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
-Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
Curly Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #70

Originally Posted by Curly Sara View Post

Which hairtype do you have, kathymack??

Sent from my HTC Desire using CurlTalk App
It's all in my signature.

Actually, hair properties are more important then hair type when determining products/ingredients that your hair might like.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #71

Join Date: Jan 2012

How do these products do on 2c hair... more coarse than medium, very thick with a strong tendency to frizz. I'm not sure about the porosity... probably porous. I definitely am trying to nurture my curls since I've been flat ironing prior to going cg so I need products that enhance curls.
Cyanbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #72

allcurly1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012

Can someone post before/after pics of curly kinks?
allcurly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #73

Join Date: Feb 2009

I just got these products in the mail the other day, and tried them out tonight. I'm not sure if I used too much of them or what, or maybe my hair is possibly just over conditioned.. but my hair is taking a RIDICULOUSLY long time to dry.. it was sopping wet for so long, and when I finally started to diffuse it, I tried to diffuse it for about 30 minutes and it barely made a difference, the only difference was that it was not sopping wet anymore.. so I just gave up diffusing and I've just been trying to let it air dry and still after all this time it's still pretty wet. My hair is also very flat and weighed down. So I'm not sure if it's the products or that I over conditioned my hair..

Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #74

Originally Posted by britney. View Post
Since no one else has complained about extended drying times, my hypothesis is that you used too much, LOL! My hair is low porosity, so it always takes a long time to dry. I haven't noticed that it's any longer with the CK products than other products.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #75

curlyserf's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010

I used mine for the first time today. I washed with the cleanser, used CJ Repair Me as a RO, then put in Satin Roots and Coil Jam. I think this was way too many conditioning products for my hair. If I look closely, the curls are really nice, but my hair is very frizzy which I attribute to over conditioning. I'll need to try different combos to see if this is going to work for me. Perhaps using my usual low-poo and no RO may work. I'll keep trying!

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
curlyserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #76

Originally Posted by britney. View Post
Thanks for replying. How much product would you recommend using? I'm used to using a lot of product since my hair is thick but I guess you shouldn't use so much with these products. I was NOT pleased at all with my hair yesterday! It literally took all night to dry and was damp in the morning even though I ended up diffusing my hair for an hour total and my hair did not look good at all.

Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

Last edited by britney.; 01-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #77

Join Date: Oct 2008

I know this question wasnt for me, but I use about a nickel size blob of satin roots and maybe two nickel size blobs of the jam (usually a llittle over a nickel size though). I find I don't need much of either product, which is awesome. I've used and used my bottle/jar of products and have hardly made a dent. My hair is tailbone length (tapered, so kind of thin at the bottom) and medium thickness. HTH.

ETA: I find my drying time to be much shorter than when I used KCCC.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
curlykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #78

Join Date: Jan 2008

I agree with curlykey. Don't need to use a lot. I use minute amounts of any product. You can see my length and my density is thin due to age, thyroid and a medication I take. For most leave ins, I use a small amount, emulsify on both hands and smooth on the canopy. If my hair feels like it needs more, I do the same thing again, bend over and smooth on the underside (most of the time I don't need the second amount.) Then, I gently finger comb the product through and scrunch it in. I do the same thing with the Coil Jam, but definitely use the two portions. I have acrylic nails (that aren't too long.) I do a backwards scoop of product on my index finger nail--don't use too much. I do the smooth, finger comb and scrunch again. this distributes the products well.

I think the mistake that a lot of folks do is using way too much product. With the "better" products, you rarely need to use much. Which is why most of them are really "cost effective," rather than cost prohibitive. With most products, less really is more.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #79

Join Date: Feb 2009

Thanks everyone! I'll try using these products again using less and hopefully they work better for me.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #80

Join Date: Feb 2009

I tried out the curl jam and satin roots again today, and I used very small amounts, and thankfully my hair did not take ages to dry and did not come out flat and limp looking! My hair came out much more voluminous like it usually is and made my hair very fluffy. I don't think the curl jam did much for my hair though, it doesn't seem to have much hold and it doesn't seem to control my frizz. It seemed to enhance my curls just a little, but did not make my hair clump or anything. I'm wondering if I should have used a little more than I did since I just used VERY tiny amounts since I was afraid of my hair coming out like it did the first time. But what I do love is that the satin roots makes my hair so soft! So overall I think the curl jam is just okay, I was hoping to get amazing results like everyone else on here.