Curly Kinks

You may just have to experiment and find out what's the right amount for you.

I don't need hold, but if your curls do--you may want to try a little of your regular gel with it.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Well I have tried it now a few different times and it just doesn't work for me. While I like the softness, too much frizz and ill defined curls. Tried less product, more product, made no difference. My hair just doesn't like it ah well, the search continues....

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Location:Sunny Florida
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
Sad day, I think the Satin Roots leave-in makes me itchy! With the cold temps we've been having lately I've been lazy and not styling my hair. I've been having flakes and itchies this winter and so I've gone back to square one for figuring out exactly what products are causing the probs.

I'm planning on trying the Coil Jam again by itself within the next few days...
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

I'm still loving these products. I love that most days I can use only the satin roots and the coil jam and have wonderful results. On occasion, I add some MD curl cream or top with some Gel-les'C. These two are HG for me :-) and I'm thrilled! I just hope they work as well for me in the warmer temperatures. If they do, then I am set.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Rednaturalcurls
That's exactly how my hair is with these products too.. I think I'll try experimenting with them a little more before ruling them out as not working for me, but so far it doesn't look like they're working out very well for me at all.
2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

So I tried out the coil jam again, by itself. And it worked much better this time alone! I used more than I did last time, and my hair did not end up being weighed down and didn't take forever to dry. My curls came out pretty good looking this time, but it still doesn't do anything to control my frizz (my hair gets extremely frizzy no matter what!) and doesn't give me any hold, so my second day hair didn't end up coming out very great. But I'm going to try it with a hard hold gel and see how it works with that. But I'm glad I got the coil jam to work and it won't go to waste now. But it seems like the satin roots was just giving me problems, I'm not sure if it's just too conditioning/moisturizing for my hair or what..
2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

how have these products held up long term?

does anyone use the curly kinks with a different leave in, and if so, which conditioner?

pros?
cons?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
how have these products held up long term?

pros?
cons?
Originally Posted by rbb
This is still my favorite combo. Have yet to not have fabulous hair when I use it. I only need two layers (Satin Roots/Coil Jam) when I use these products. Although I wet, rinse out and style every day, I won't use any product more then once every five days--so, I haven't taken the "chance" of using these products with any other products. If I know I have something special to do, I save this combo for when I want really fabulous hair. I usually use Sevi Pumpkin as my rinse out with this, but other rinse outs have worked as well.

I was out of town last week and my stylist was away for the two weeks prior, so I'm way past due for a haircut. Have a funeral tomorrow where I will see a lot of folks from work. I know that my hair will look great despite needing a haircut if I use the Curly Kinks.

So far, I haven't found any cons.

This is still good. It actually acts well with other LI's that are well known in my hair. I've used the jelly on banked hair and it's been fine. This is on pat with Curly Magic and KCCC IMO, but the learning curve isn't as steep and results are much more reproducible.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
thanks, km & naturalista! i wanted to be able to use the coil jam with a different leave in if the satin roots was not moisturizing. i remember back when i did try kccc and used the knot today with it, the knot today was too drying for my hair. but my hair did not like kccc either way, so i never got past my first tub.
so i may buy the coil jam by itself. i know i can buy a sample and i may just deal with the shipping charges and buy a sample of the coil jam and satin roots.
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I realize it's still winter in most of the country, but any thoughts on using these products in high dew points?
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha, botanical spirits magic curls puree
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats

Originally Posted by frxncrls
I don't see it an issue, but won't know until I try it. If/when I visit my mother in FL this Spring, I'll definitely bring it.

[QUOTE=kathymack;1894357]KCKT was never moisturizing enough for my hair either. So, it's not something that I used after the first try or two. The first time I used KCCC, I had the most amazing hair, up until that time. I've since managed to learn a lot about my hair and KCCC is not something I use on a regular basis. I don't think you'll find that the Satin Roots isn't moisturizing enough for you. I don't think it won't "play" well with other things, so that shouldn't be a problem. "

that is exactly what i wanted to know. i also remember the first day i used kccc my hair was amazing, and it was less and less so as i went along. not even sure i finished tub or just gave it to my daughter and same thing happened for her with kccc.
i just went on the curly kinks website and they posted on the satin roots page that they have now added avocado oil to make it more moisturizing.
Originally Posted by rbb
When I read this, I was unhappy--thought the ingredients may have changed. Don't know when she added the avocado oil, but mine has it, LOL! I haven't noticed a change from when I started using it, so it may have been there for a while.

Originally Posted by frxncrls
We recently had high dew points where I live, and my hair looked fresh until shampoo/cowash day--8-12 days later. In fact the closer shampoo/cowash day came, the more defined my hair became. Fluke...maybe?...but this is the third time that I've used it. Good stuff!
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Winter Regimen
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler: It's a 10!, CURLS Cashmere Curls leave-in
Stylers: various
Sealers: Tamanu oil, The Body Shop Wild Argan Solid Oil

*experimenting and loving it!

GreatCurls: Sorry for the guano, but on the days that are not shampoo/cowash what is your routine?
How do you get the knots out of your hair without frizzing it?
CurlyFireHorse
Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
I still love this line. I have tried the Jam with MD Curl Cream and still got great results; however, I do prefer it with the Satin Roots as a LI.

I tried using it without a gel and had reallly soft hair - but lots of frizz and no curl definition. I definitely need some gel for hold and still use either CIAB or Gel-les'c as my serum before diffusing (I do this no matter what I use).

The DT, Renew, is amazing. My hair is like silk afterwards
How do you get the knots out of your hair without frizzing it?
Originally Posted by CurlyFireHorse
My hair is usually kept in twists so that it doesn't get tangles and keeps the knots to a minimum. I moisturize about 3-4 days a week during the low humidity/dew points and dry seasons, and once to twice a week when it's humid. I do sleep with a satin cap because my house and other buildings can get very dry in the rooms due to the air conditioner or central heating.

To get the knots out without frizzing, I just wait until the next shampoo/cowash. For my hair, the more I try to "de-knot", the tighter the knot becomes. Then I have to cut it out, which defeats the purpose of maintaining length. Sometimes I can get the knots out using a detangler, and then place a styler on that spot. That way my hair won't frizz, but that happens as often as a "blue moon". LOL!

Thanks for asking. Hope this helps!
CurlyFireHorse likes this.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Winter Regimen
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler: It's a 10!, CURLS Cashmere Curls leave-in
Stylers: various
Sealers: Tamanu oil, The Body Shop Wild Argan Solid Oil

*experimenting and loving it!

Originally Posted by kathymack
Hey guys - I think the change was the broccoli seed oil - I'm pretty sure the avocado oil has been there all along. She posted on twitter the addition of broccoli seed oil on March 1.
Satin Roots

New Ingredients:

Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Brassica oleracea italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Original Ingredients (copied from post #1):

Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

I don't know if my hair would notice a difference with the Broccoli Oil that far down in the ingredient list, LOL! I love the Satin Roots, so I'm sure I would love the new version, too.

I also read that she's coming out with a new shampoo called "Clean Cream." The Cleanse (which I love) is not longer available on the website.