Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #101
rbb

Join Date: May 2008
Default glycerin

i was about to order order both the satin roots and coil jam and i noticed both contain glycerin.

how have these products been in the lower dews? do you have to seal? i am really looking for something to use in the low dews that will allow me not to seal.

(on a side -- isn't broccoli seed oil one of the ingredients that was in cj smoothing gellie? i was one of the few who loved that product!)
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #102

asugirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post
Satin Roots

New Ingredients:

Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Brassica oleracea italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Original Ingredients (copied from post #1):

Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

I don't know if my hair would notice a difference with the Broccoli Oil that far down in the ingredient list, LOL! I love the Satin Roots, so I'm sure I would love the new version, too.

I also read that she's coming out with a new shampoo called "Clean Cream." The Cleanse (which I love) is not longer available on the website.
Don't you love when something you love is discontinued for something else that you don't know if you'll love? Happens to me all the time. I feel like "I love it! What about me?" Oh well. Monique is sending out samples of the new new Clean Cream with orders this week. Sounds like it will be good also.
asugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #103

Originally Posted by rbb View Post

My hair likes glycerin all year around. Don't seem to have any issues no matter how high/low the dewpoint. I only use the Satin Roots and Coil Jam, no extra product for sealing. Went back to double check--in post #41, I had emailed Monique to ask a few questions. She's supposed to come out with a glycerin free version of Coil Jam.

Originally Posted by asugirl View Post

It does bother me when products I like change. Having used the other products, I can't imagine this one won't be great, too. I did email to ask her when it would be available on the website--and if the ingredients were available for posting. If the products have really different ingredients, I'd love to see them both be available.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #104

Join Date: Jan 2008

Here's what Monique wrote about the new shampoo, "The shampoo will have more gentler ingredients in them. I have completely removed the Cocamidopropyl betaine and replaced it with a more eco friendly surfactant made from bio degradable sources. It will also be more color friendly so people with colored hair won't have to worry about it stripping the color from their hair. It will foam up but it will be a gentle foam." She'll send me an email with the full ingredient list when she releases it in a week or so. I'll post it when I get it.

She's also sending out a notice to folks who are on her mailing list about the broccoli seed oil in the Satin Roots and the new shampoo. When the shampoo is released, she'll be having a sale. So, stay tuned--or sign up for the newsletter.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #105

mrsgp101310's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

I just got samples of the coil jam and satin roots and she sent me a sample of the clean cream. Am trying it shortly
Cyndi ~ TX CG since 11/10
3a, medium texture, normal porosity & elasticity, medium density, color-treated, frizz-prone

Cleansing: DevaCare No Poo
RO: CJ Smoothing,CJ BStC, CJAO
LI: CJ Smoothing, CJ BLI, CJAO
Stylers: MD CSC, CJ AF, SSCEJ, SSFHG, CJ CCCC, KCCC, CJ CIAB
mrsgp101310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #106

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

The glycerin in the Coil Jam doesn't seem to bother me. I sometimes get that flash drying feeling when using products w/ glycerin in low dews but haven't gotten that w/ the Coil Jam!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #107
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

i decided to just go ahead and try it, i know it's really all in the formulation so perhaps some other ingredient minimized the glycerin. i can always use it in warmer weather, too, altho cj afg is my HG for warm weather.
i had decided i'd buy the 8 oz coil jam and a sample of the satin roots. of course, both were out of stock! lol! so i just went ahead and ordered larger sizes. now i can't wait til i can try them!
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #108

Join Date: Jan 2008

Don't know why I did this, I think it's because people compared the CK products to the CK products on the 4a Curly Kinks thread.(I don't use KCKT because it isn't moisturizing enough for me.) I used the Satin Roots with KCCC! My hair was terrific. Yesterday was my monthly "game" day. One of the ladies told me that my hair was curly yesterday. My reply is that it's always curly--and she said, "But today, it's REALLY curly!"

I guess I'm ready to start using these products with some other products, LOL!
Cerendipity likes this.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #109

Join Date: Sep 2009

Satin roots leave in is THE bomb!

Last edited by Cerendipity; 06-09-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Cerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #110

Join Date: Jan 2008

Today, I used the Curly Cue ReNew under the Coil Jam--another great curl day! Lots of compliments. I only wish she'd make products, so I could try more combinations, LOL!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #111

CurlyFireHorse's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

Bit the bullet today and ordered the coil jam, conditioner and a sample of the spray. Can't wait til it gets here. I love trying out new products.
CurlyFireHorse
Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
CurlyFireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #112

Join Date: Jul 2002

Which of the products would be considered somewhat of a curl styling cream. I've been using Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle and not enough control anymore. I'd like a styling cream with a bit of hold for definition but not stiff like gel.
Thanks for the info.
3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
KarenRB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #113

CurlyFireHorse's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008

I have not received my products yet, but I believe the coil jam would be what you are looking for
CurlyFireHorse
Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

CurlyFireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #114

Join Date: Jan 2008

Coil Jam is a jelly, Satin Roots is a leave in/cream type product.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #115

Join Date: Apr 2012

Anyone try out the ReFresh? Also, what other cleanser would you compare the CK cleanser to?
I haven't used my products in a while because I've been experimenting with other products, but will revisit them next wash. My hair is in much better shape now and I find I don't need much hold from products.
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #116

Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls View Post
My hair doesn't respond well to refreshers, so I can't evaluate it properly for you.

I just got the new Clean Cream and have only used it once, so won't review it--yet. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Sea Kelp, Mentha piperita (Pepperment) Leaf Extract, Yucca Leaf Extract, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Melissa officinalis (Melissa) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Ammonium Cocoyl Isethionate (derived from coconut oil), Decyl Glucoside, Avocado Oil, Glycol Stearate, Polyquaternium 7, Sucrose Cocoate (derived from sugar beets & coconut oil), Panthenol, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, PEG-6 Capric/Caprylic glycerides, Phenoxyethanol (and) Benzoic Acid (and) Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance

I'm just hoping the the polyquat 7 doesn't build up on me (I have problems with 4 and 10.) I did my health club and errands right away on Wed. Mail came early and the Curly Kinks package was here! So, I used the cleanser when I took my shower. Wasn't going out again, so didn't want to "waste" the Satin Roots/Coil Jam combo. I used the Curlycue ReNew as my leave in and As I Am Jelly. All I can say is WOW! Boy did I have shrinkage. Made my curls into tight little spirals with not frizz. It was one of my best hair days ever. I've used that styling combo before with good results. Can't say that it was the cleanser, but I got great results!

I guess I just did a bit of review. I'll probably use it again over the weekend with the Satin Roots/Coil Jam. I usually don't let myself use something more then every five days, but I'm anxious to see what this does. Especially with the polyquat build up concern.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #117

Join Date: Jul 2006

I just want to add that I got a sample of the Refresh spray....I never really like refreshers and feel like I do better with straight water but I've used this twice with great results both times. It actually feels more like a very watery, non-sticky styler to me. I'm going to try it a few more times before I order the full size but so far I really like it.

I also got the new cleanser but have only used it once so I'll hold off on commenting on it for now. It seemed fine though.

So far I have loved every single product I've tried from this line.
3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites
: [SIZE=2]Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
memes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #118

Join Date: Apr 2012

I have to say that I LOVE the satin roots Leave-in !!!!!

I alternate between this and tresseme naturals conditioner. I'm so glad I purchased the 16 oz when I placed my order! I also LOVE the scent of these products!
I'm thinking of ordering the sample Pack in order to try out the other three products.

Can anyone that has tried KCCC compare it with the coil jam?
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #119

Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls View Post
I have to say that I LOVE the satin roots Leave-in !!!!!

Can anyone that has tried KCCC compare it with the coil jam?
The first time I used KCCC, I had the best curl day ever--up until that time (it was about 4 years ago.) I found other jelly products that I like better and (including the KC TT Moisturizing Styler) and shelved the KCCC. The CK products have been my favorites since I bought them last December. I rotate products and only let myself use any one product every five days. The Coil Jam is great.

Since I read so many comparisons of the KCCC to the Coil Jam, I decided to try the KCCC with the Satin Roots (I also use the Curlycue ReNew as a li since I don't DT.) They work really well together.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #120

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I like the Coil Jam way more than KCCC. I never got good, consistent results from KCCC.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix