Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #121

Join Date: Jul 2006

I use both KCCC and the Coil Jam...often together but also alone. The KCCC works well over the Satin Roots for me. I think the two products are similar but the Coil Jam is a lot more forgiving. I do get better clumping with the KCCC added though.
3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites
: [SIZE=2]Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
memes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #122

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I used the Jam over Satin Roots today. I always scrunch in a small amount of gel for hold and a serum-type product (CIAB today). My hair looked and felt awesome. My curls were well defined, but still soft. It was hot here today. My hair has been a little inconsistent since the warmer weather changed, but it looked great today. These products appear to be ones that work in any weather.
beeduh likes this.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #123

Moonface's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012

Bought the cleanser, satin roots, and coil jam today... But I noticed satin roots has a sulfate in it? Is it a real sulfate or am I just nuts?

How do you guys find the satin roots leave in? I can't get my head around not rinsing conditioner out at all, LOL. Do you guys use another conditioner first? Any tips on applying coil jam? If I did sections It'd take me forever LOL.
3a/b → fine// normal-high porosity//normal elasticity

all subject to change
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #124

Originally Posted by Moonface View Post

I did a search to get you the technical definition. This is from Behentrimonium Methosulfate

"Behentrimonium Methosulfate is NOT a sulfate. It is created from non-genetically modified rapseed oil.

The blend consisting of Behentrimonium methosulfate (&) Cetearyl alcohol (or BTMS) is considered the mildest conditioning hair-detangling ingredient available today. This sophisticated ingredient is a hair thickener that unlike most, does not cause build-up on the hair. This is in part due to the fact that it does not coat, but actually penetrates the hair shaft. Because it is so extremely gentle, it is recommended for use in leave-on baby products. This ingredient is not the same as behentrimonium chloride, which is not nearly as mild or gentle."

I use a different rinse out, since Curly Kinks doesn't make one. I finger comb, rake and then scrunch in any product that I use.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #125

Join Date: May 2009

I used the Coil Jam for the first time in a few weeks and my hair looked amazing!

No leave-in, scrunched in a couple blobs to soaking wet hair and plopped. Scrunched in a mixture of AIF and BRHG (weak wave pattern) and plopped again. Had great waves and clumps and hold from the gel!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #126

CurleeDST's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2001
Send a message via MSN to CurleeDST Send a message via Yahoo to CurleeDST
Default coil jam?

Originally Posted by memes View Post
I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

Fitness Blog: http://femmefitaleblog.com/
Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
CurleeDST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #127

Originally Posted by CurleeDST View Post
Coil Jam Natural Curling Gel, Curl Definer

Not sure why it says $5.00 though.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #128

Join Date: Apr 2012

Originally Posted by asianrunner View Post
Originally Posted by CurleeDST View Post
Coil Jam Natural Curling Gel, Curl Definer

Not sure why it says $5.00 though.
That's for the 2 oz sample size.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #129

Moonface's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012

I am in love with the scent of this stuff. It reminds me of a cake batter and I love that I can randomly get whiffs of it at work(though it makes not pigging out on junk/cake hard haha).

I LOVE the cleanser. I thought it would feel weird applying it cause it's so runny, but the way it feels in your hands seems to totally change on hair. I wouldn't say it lathers, but it definitely spreads around easily and cleanses well. I find it's so gentle and moisturizing it even detangles a bit before I even apply my conditioner.

Satin roots is also AMAZING. I applied JUST that to my hair the other day and I had some frizz(of course, no gel, but it was an 'at home' day so I was lazy), but my hair was super soft and felt amazing.

I'm still iffy on the coil jam. I like the texture and consistency of it in my hands, but I have one hell of a time applying it. I either apply too much or too little or half my heads crunchy and the other half isnt etc. Coil jam puzzles my small brain, I guess it's sort of rocket science to me cause I'm not so bright. Maybe I'll get it eventually, LOL.
3a/b → fine// normal-high porosity//normal elasticity

Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #130
rbb

Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
that is exactly how i feel about the coil jam -- either it's too much and i cannot even sotc, or it is not enough. and we're talking maybe the difference of a size of a pea.
i bought some extra when she had a sale, based on using it twice. now i regret having done that. i'll keep trying, but i don't think it's going to work for me.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #131

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

Are people using (and liking) the Curly Kinks leave-in and coil jam in high dews/high humidity?

hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #132

If so, what are you pairing it with? BRHG? CIAB? Curl Keeper? Curls Gel-les'c?
It's still one of my favorites. I don't need anything else with it, but I don't with any other combinations, either. It plays well with everything, so I would think any of the above would work.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #133

Cuban-curl-E's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011

If so, what are you pairing it with? BRHG? CIAB? Curl Keeper? Curls Gel-les'c?
The LI and jam are not working for me but I'm in 70+ dews now. I love the products but am gonna have to wait a few months before bringing them out again.
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Last edited by Cuban-curl-E; 06-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Cuban-curl-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #134

Join Date: Jul 2002

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

Do you only finger comb your hair...do you ever use comb or pick ?
3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
KarenRB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #135

Originally Posted by KarenRB53 View Post
Do you only finger comb your hair...do you ever use comb or pick ?
My hair only tangles if I use an ingredient it doesn't like (castor oil is one.) Finger combing is enough for me.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #136

dovecurl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012

I am in love with this stuff-- it works so well!! I use satin roots as well, but coil jam is my favorite. It works great for a soft-medium hold for me. I just got my hair cut, and before that the coil jam didnt do much for me. But after it was cut I have better curls, and I don't seem to need a whole lot of hold. This is perfect! I use just a bit over a Creme sometimes-- I used just a tiny bit of recoil-CCCC-coil jam, and got really good results. Just had to give this product a thumbs up!
curl type: 2c/3a
porosity: low
hair strand width: medium
density: thick
elasticity: low-normal
Shoulder length

Ready to get back on the CG bandwagon!
dovecurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #137

melaniesusan's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

I've been experimenting with the CK coil jam and absolutely love it! So far, I've used it twice:

1. CK satin roots + CK coil jam + BRHG
2. CJ Beauticurls + CK coil jam + BRHG

Both times, I was able to get third day hair, which is very rare for me. Unlike CJ Pattern Pusha, which is not curl-enhancing at all, and caused my curls to collapse (will have to try that one again over a curl cream instead of a leave-in conditoner), CK coil jam really caused my curls to perk up. Also, even when coupled with a bit of BRHG, it left my hair very soft and touchable, like when I use SS products.

It controlled frizz better than CJ PP as well. I might still need to add something else to totally eliminate frizz (like CJ CIAB), but both combos came pretty close on their own.

The satin roots was a nice leave-in, but I didn't find it superior to CJ beauticurls in terms of function. Those who get itchies from the CJ leave-in might prefer the CK satin roots, however.

It usually takes a curl cream to give me this much curl; I was pleasantly surprised to get it from a jelly instead. Especially since people compare this to KCCC and I never had results this good with KCCC.

I definitely plan to order a full bottle of the CK coil jam. Is it available anywhere other than the CK website?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
melaniesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #138

Join Date: Jan 2008

Glad you like it. It's still at the top of the list for me--that's 6+ months. She has some places listed on the website Locations, but don't think any are near you.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #139

Join Date: Aug 2008

I'm currently using the Coil Jam over the leave-in, Fix It Up Leave-in Treatment from Michael O' Rourke. I found this at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. They work beautifully together!

I still like the Satin Roots, but the Fix It Up is more moisturizing. I can use Satin Roots in the humid weather, but I'll use the O'Rourke Leave-in during the drier months.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
SPRING REGIMEN-This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat: coconut oil
Clarifier:
hiatus for now
Cowash: HE The Sleeker The Butter, HE NOYF w/Mandarin
PT: hiatus for now/DT:Redken Diamond Oil Deep Facets, Living Proof PHD
LI/Detangler: CK Satin Roots, Nu-Gro Leave-in
Oils: tamanu/Moisturizers: various
Stylers: CK Curl Factor, AH Cupuacu & Burdock Sweet Hair Pudding

*experimenting and loving it!

Greatcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #140

Originally Posted by melaniesusan View Post
Interesting. The Satin Roots leave-in made me really itchy! The CJ Beauticurls doesn't bother me though.