Curly Kinks

I use both KCCC and the Coil Jam...often together but also alone. The KCCC works well over the Satin Roots for me. I think the two products are similar but the Coil Jam is a lot more forgiving. I do get better clumping with the KCCC added though.
3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites
: [SIZE=2]Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
I used the Jam over Satin Roots today. I always scrunch in a small amount of gel for hold and a serum-type product (CIAB today). My hair looked and felt awesome. My curls were well defined, but still soft. It was hot here today. My hair has been a little inconsistent since the warmer weather changed, but it looked great today. These products appear to be ones that work in any weather.
beeduh likes this.
Bought the cleanser, satin roots, and coil jam today... But I noticed satin roots has a sulfate in it? Is it a real sulfate or am I just nuts?

How do you guys find the satin roots leave in? I can't get my head around not rinsing conditioner out at all, LOL. Do you guys use another conditioner first? Any tips on applying coil jam? If I did sections It'd take me forever LOL.
3a/b → fine// normal-high porosity//normal elasticity

style; HETT, curls gel-les'c, CK coil jam
pt/dt; curly kinks renew
all subject to change

Originally Posted by Moonface
I did a search to get you the technical definition. This is from Behentrimonium Methosulfate

"Behentrimonium Methosulfate is NOT a sulfate. It is created from non-genetically modified rapseed oil.

The blend consisting of Behentrimonium methosulfate (&) Cetearyl alcohol (or BTMS) is considered the mildest conditioning hair-detangling ingredient available today. This sophisticated ingredient is a hair thickener that unlike most, does not cause build-up on the hair. This is in part due to the fact that it does not coat, but actually penetrates the hair shaft. Because it is so extremely gentle, it is recommended for use in leave-on baby products. This ingredient is not the same as behentrimonium chloride, which is not nearly as mild or gentle."

I use a different rinse out, since Curly Kinks doesn't make one. I finger comb, rake and then scrunch in any product that I use.

I used the Coil Jam for the first time in a few weeks and my hair looked amazing!

No leave-in, scrunched in a couple blobs to soaking wet hair and plopped. Scrunched in a mixture of AIF and BRHG (weak wave pattern) and plopped again. Had great waves and clumps and hold from the gel!

Originally Posted by memes
I am a 3c/4a with medium/fine strands
No strict haircare regimen - trying my hand at the Curly Girl Method.

Fitness Blog: http://femmefitalefitclub.com/
Check out the Femme Fitale Facebook page: facebook.com/FemmeFitaleFitness
Originally Posted by CurleeDST
Coil Jam Natural Curling Gel, Curl Definer

Not sure why it says $5.00 though.

Originally Posted by CurleeDST
Coil Jam Natural Curling Gel, Curl Definer

Not sure why it says $5.00 though.
Originally Posted by asianrunner
That's for the 2 oz sample size.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, FSG, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
I am in love with the scent of this stuff. It reminds me of a cake batter and I love that I can randomly get whiffs of it at work(though it makes not pigging out on junk/cake hard haha).

I LOVE the cleanser. I thought it would feel weird applying it cause it's so runny, but the way it feels in your hands seems to totally change on hair. I wouldn't say it lathers, but it definitely spreads around easily and cleanses well. I find it's so gentle and moisturizing it even detangles a bit before I even apply my conditioner.

Satin roots is also AMAZING. I applied JUST that to my hair the other day and I had some frizz(of course, no gel, but it was an 'at home' day so I was lazy), but my hair was super soft and felt amazing.

I'm still iffy on the coil jam. I like the texture and consistency of it in my hands, but I have one hell of a time applying it. I either apply too much or too little or half my heads crunchy and the other half isnt etc. Coil jam puzzles my small brain, I guess it's sort of rocket science to me cause I'm not so bright. Maybe I'll get it eventually, LOL.
3a/b → fine// normal-high porosity//normal elasticity

style; HETT, curls gel-les'c, CK coil jam
pt/dt; curly kinks renew
all subject to change
Originally Posted by Moonface
that is exactly how i feel about the coil jam -- either it's too much and i cannot even sotc, or it is not enough. and we're talking maybe the difference of a size of a pea.
i bought some extra when she had a sale, based on using it twice. now i regret having done that. i'll keep trying, but i don't think it's going to work for me.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Are people using (and liking) the Curly Kinks leave-in and coil jam in high dews/high humidity?

hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
It's still one of my favorites. I don't need anything else with it, but I don't with any other combinations, either. It plays well with everything, so I would think any of the above would work.

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
The LI and jam are not working for me but I'm in 70+ dews now. I love the products but am gonna have to wait a few months before bringing them out again.
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Last edited by Cuban-curl-E; 06-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Originally Posted by kathymack

Do you only finger comb your hair...do you ever use comb or pick ?
3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
Do you only finger comb your hair...do you ever use comb or pick ?
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
My hair only tangles if I use an ingredient it doesn't like (castor oil is one.) Finger combing is enough for me.

I am in love with this stuff-- it works so well!! I use satin roots as well, but coil jam is my favorite. It works great for a soft-medium hold for me. I just got my hair cut, and before that the coil jam didnt do much for me. But after it was cut I have better curls, and I don't seem to need a whole lot of hold. This is perfect! I use just a bit over a Creme sometimes-- I used just a tiny bit of recoil-CCCC-coil jam, and got really good results. Just had to give this product a thumbs up!
curl type: 2c/3a
porosity: low
hair strand width: medium
density: thick
elasticity: low-normal
Shoulder length

Ready to get back on the CG bandwagon!
I've been experimenting with the CK coil jam and absolutely love it! So far, I've used it twice:

1. CK satin roots + CK coil jam + BRHG
2. CJ Beauticurls + CK coil jam + BRHG

Both times, I was able to get third day hair, which is very rare for me. Unlike CJ Pattern Pusha, which is not curl-enhancing at all, and caused my curls to collapse (will have to try that one again over a curl cream instead of a leave-in conditoner), CK coil jam really caused my curls to perk up. Also, even when coupled with a bit of BRHG, it left my hair very soft and touchable, like when I use SS products.

It controlled frizz better than CJ PP as well. I might still need to add something else to totally eliminate frizz (like CJ CIAB), but both combos came pretty close on their own.

The satin roots was a nice leave-in, but I didn't find it superior to CJ beauticurls in terms of function. Those who get itchies from the CJ leave-in might prefer the CK satin roots, however.

It usually takes a curl cream to give me this much curl; I was pleasantly surprised to get it from a jelly instead. Especially since people compare this to KCCC and I never had results this good with KCCC.

I definitely plan to order a full bottle of the CK coil jam. Is it available anywhere other than the CK website?
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Glad you like it. It's still at the top of the list for me--that's 6+ months. She has some places listed on the website Locations, but don't think any are near you.

I'm currently using the Coil Jam over the leave-in, Fix It Up Leave-in Treatment from Michael O' Rourke. I found this at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. They work beautifully together!

I still like the Satin Roots, but the Fix It Up is more moisturizing. I can use Satin Roots in the humid weather, but I'll use the O'Rourke Leave-in during the drier months.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat:various oils

Shampoo/
Clarifier:various
PT: Gold Medal's Herbal Tame
DT:
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler: AG Fast Food/OH Juices and Berries Hair Tonic
Stylers: Lush Zeste Hair Gel, CURLS Blueberry and Passion Fruit Control pastes

*experimenting and loving it!

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
Interesting. The Satin Roots leave-in made me really itchy! The CJ Beauticurls doesn't bother me though.