Curly Kinks

I am LOVING the Coil Jam. I did take me awhile to figure out the right amount for my hair. Too little and not enough hold....too much and crunchy. I have finally figured it out and consistently get the best curls I have ever had. I usually need some protein in my styler to perk up my curls ( but then get that drying effect over time) but this Coil Jam is amazing. I love it. I like the Satin Roots also but often need more moisture and too much glycerin can be a bad thing for my hair. So I use CJ Beauticurls leave in or Curl Rehab and both work great. The glycerin in the Coil Jam doesn't seem to bother me. It also rinses really clean with no build up. I am glad I stuck it out and kept trying to figure out the right amount...totally worth it. So glad she is making this product. Just had to share.

Oh, I also LOVE the Curlycue Renew...amazing conditioner.
ebonyrose31626 likes this.

Oh, I also LOVE the Curlycue Renew...amazing conditioner.
Originally Posted by lj2
that is exactly what i get -- my hair feels plastic with too much. and it seems it's just a drop more.... i put some in a bottle and added lots of water to it, that helps a little. i can see how it can create curls, but it leaves my hair not good to touch, sometimes too hard, sometimes just thick and sticky..... i am still working with it.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb, I was having the same experience as you. I didn't like the way my hair felt with the CJ when I used to much. I thought maybe it was the glycerin. I almost gave up on the product but kept trying it because I really liked the ingredients. I found that I definitely need a rich leave in with it. I know you use beauticurls leave in but I also have used curl rehab as well. I am not sure if my hair just adjusted to the CJ or what, but I don't get that sticky feeling anymore. I do have to scrunch out the crunch but that is not a problem. It can be so frustrating trying to figure out some products.
i had to check out this thread since i just received the sample pack.

have not tried anything yet, but i already want to repurchase because of the packaging. adorable! can't wait to try everything out.
3c-4b. probably.
medium/coarse texture.
(extremely)high density.
low porosity, normal elasticity.
co-wash: suave naturals daily clarifying condish with drops of rosemary oil.
detangling conditioner: tresemme naturals.
deep conditioner: curly kinks curlycue renew, b.a.s.k. cacao bark, honey/evoo.
Just ordered my first jar of Curly Kinks Coil Jam. I'm still tinkering with it, but results are so positive that I started worrying about using up my Kathymack sample!

Hair looked nice with the coil jam over a leave-in (either CK or CJ) and under BRHG, but a little frizz remained (understandable, given high dews).

Then I tried switching my gel (from BRHG to SS FHG) and adding CJ CIAB. No remaining frizz at all, but hair looked dirty and producty (no wonder, given that I used ample amounts of four products in my hair).

Today, I'm trying out:
leave-in + coil jam + CIAB

with no added gel whatsoever.

Hair is still drying; awaiting final results.
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
This has become my "going somewhere & need great hair" product!

I love it with the Satin Roots LI. With the higher dewpoints, I have started using a medium to firm hold gel and it is still working great. I also always use a serum-type product before I diffuse. In the cooler temps, or days with little to no humidity, I use CIAB. In higher dewpoint weather, I prefer Curls Gel-les'c. I don't need a lot, about a dime for my hair. I scrunch it in after taking out my Curlease towel and right before diffusing.

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone
thanks, FrizzBgone. I'll give that a try. CIAB only over leave-in + coil jam wasn't enough hold for me. Curls Gel-les'C helps with frizz but tends to flatten my waves, but it sounds like I'm using way too much product; I'll try it with a dime-size amount.

Do you apply your gel before or after plopping? Also, what gels are you current faves with this combo?
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
i tried this today. i wet my palm and sprayed product into it, then emulsified and smoothed over my entire head. then grabbing sections, i twisted/wringed while squeezing. re-wetting my palms with water/spray as needed all over my head. shook my curls, then went out in the heat/humidity.

there is frizz but i expect that (i need to try it when the dews aren't 74). the aloe/glycerin combo really moisturized my hair. the spray has some substance to it, not at all watery like i expected. the scent is strong but dissipates.

my hair was going in a bun due to the heat but i forgot and whilst at the store someone actually stopped me and told me i had pretty hair.

i love this line, too.
3c-4b. probably.
medium/coarse texture.
(extremely)high density.
low porosity, normal elasticity.
co-wash: suave naturals daily clarifying condish with drops of rosemary oil.
detangling conditioner: tresemme naturals.
deep conditioner: curly kinks curlycue renew, b.a.s.k. cacao bark, honey/evoo.
i've given up on this product. for some reason i cannot get it to work for me. it either isn't enough, does nothing, or it makes my hair look/feel like plastic.

i have two unopened jars of coil jam that i am going to sell. pm me if you are interested.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Just thought I'd add my experience with the Twisted Whip I've been using for the last few days. I'm using it basically as a curl cream with nothing else (I dont do well with gel) and I'm getting very moisturized well behaved curls!
CG off and on since 2010-Determined to stick with it 2013
3C (I think) - Thick, fine, extremely porous
Cleanse L'Oreal EverCreme
CO-(Daily)YTC, Suave tea therapy, TN
RO- Yes to cucumbers color care, L'Oreal reparative or intense smoothing, Tresseme Naturals
LI- Grapeseed oil
Stylers- SMCES, KCCC
Gel- AIA smoothing...still looking

Hair loves protein

I finally realized, its all about "Clumping!

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone

Originally Posted by melaniesusan
Sorry. I just saw this post now. I use my gel before plopping. I used to add gel after plopping and it worked as well but I found it was a little crunchier than I liked that way.

My fav gels are: Going Ohm Aloe Gel, Knotty Boy, KMS Cranberry Gel. MGA sculpting gel and Curls Goddess Glaze are also good. Going Ohm & Knotty Boy are my 'go-to' gels right now though. Spiral Solutions Firm Hold Gel is also good.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I wanted to add my 2 cents on this. I've used the Satin Roots AND the coil jam, and get great results from them! I think the Satin Roots may be a bit too moisturizing right now, so I'm using CJ Smoothing Lotion, but in the winter I think it would be awesome! the Coil Jam gives me MASSIVE clumping action

Jenn
Proud momma to 8!!!
Hair Type: Used to be 3a/b, now 2b/c Wavy/Whurly
Style: cirly pixie, growing out from a buzzcut. Aiming for at least a jaw length bob
Routine: Figuring that out since my hair has changed... so far:
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion, CJ Curl Fix
Curl Enhancer: SS CEJ
Styler: KCCC, CK Coil Jam, SS FHG
Deep Conditioner: CK Curlycue Renew, CK Curl Fix
Color: I use henna to achieve a rich black cherry/deep burgundy
Now that summer is over, and the dews are more moderate, I'm liking the Curly Kinks Coil Jam. I'm currently on 3rd day hair with just the Coil Jam over a leave-in (Shescentit Coco Creme) and my hair still looks nice. It also feels very soft and looks shiny.

There was more clumping and volume on days 1-2, but even on day 3 hair is still nicely defined (no frizz/flyaways at all). I don't have any other products in my hair, and my hair doesn't look or feel producty in the least.

After applying my leave-in, I raked in two heaping quarter-size amounts of the coil jam, then combed, scrunched, plopped, air dried, and SOTC'd once totally dry. Ample clumping, volume, and definition.

A great fall hair product - I look forward to experimenting with it more, as I hadn't liked it during high dews and had basically given up on it.
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
Being the product strumpet I am, I have a new LOVE--Curly Kinks. Curly Kinks - Natural curling gelly & products for kinky curly coily hair types. When I read the thread in the 4a forum, folks talked about it being another clone of the Kinky Curly products. It's not. It's MUCH better, IMHO.

I rarely use the same product in a week, but my hair was so incredible on Saturday--I had to try these products again, so I could write about them. My hair was funky last week. Like I used a product with an ingredient it didn't like.

First of all, I have to say that the smell is divine--like a cross between vanilla and baby powder. It's light and really nice. They call it their signature scent and it's in all of the products. It's one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled in a product.

Twirly Curl Cleanse: Water, Mentha piperita (Pepperment) Leaf Extract, Yucca Leaf Extract, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Melissa officinalis (Melissa) Leaf Extract, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (derived from natural source), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, PEG -7 Olivate (derived from olive oil), Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance, Citric Acid

Satin Roots: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Coil Jam: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Sea Kelp, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, Agave Nectar, Olive Oil, Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil , Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes alba) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Frangrance, Citric Acid

I started with the cleanser because it had coco b far down on the list. It didn't foam or get sudsy, but it did remove whatever was in my hair. I styled with a small amount of the Satin Roots (a small blob on my canopy, and a small blob upside down) that I finger combed in and scrunched upside down. I repeated with the Coil Jam. Went through my normal drying routine--wrapped in a Curlease while I dressed and did makeup, CLU to scrunch out the water and diffuse upside down without touching hair for about five minutes. Air dried the rest of the way. My hair had a little crunch which I scrunched out with bare hands. While I was out, I got lots of hair compliments from strangers--my hair was that perfect. Beautiful spirals and NO frizz!

I used the two styling products again today with the same results. My hair was fabulous again. It even started to rain later in the day and I got it rained on twice. Top is a little flatter, but the curls are still perfect and there is still no frizz.

These products are a definite keeper! I already placed my second order and bought the DT (even though I don't DT, I thought that I could use it as a li/curl enhancer.)

Curlycue ReNew: Distilled Water, Certified Organic Burdock Root (Arctium lappa), Certified Organic Amla (Emblica officianalis) , Certified Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense), Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Guarsilk, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance
Originally Posted by kathymack
Kathymack,

I just tried these products because I was at my wits end spending all this money on hair stuff that never worked for me. I even started buying custom made products on etsy (I would spend over $100 each time I ordered from her). Although it may work for some, I feel my results were inconsistent but I always left her positive feedback because I was sure I may have been requesting an additive that does not agree with my hair.

Anyway, I tried curlykinks and I am in love! The stringy-ness is gone and I am left with ringlets on each curl! There is so much definition I dont know what to do with it I just oooo and ahhh every time I look at my hair.

My curls are long, by the way so of course my hair is weighed down so no volume. But this is no biggie for me because I can style my soft moisturized curls in a way to lift it (like half up half down or use pins, etc.) I have always had flat roots and I only get full body if I use cones, or if I don't moisturize enough.

I use all of the products that you recommended and I am thrilled!

I will be sending a thank you letter to the owner of curly kinks because this is a dream!

But I wanted to say thank you to Kathymack -- never would have tried it if it wasn't for her post
3b
Cleanse 1x/Week: homemade apple cider vinegar rinse

Cowash/Condish: botticelli botanicals smoothie condish/honey hemp condish

Leave In: honey hemp condish

Products: KCCC, recoil, tweek, jessicurl confident coils, KBB hair milk, botticelli botanicals flax seed gelee and brulee, curl keeper, deva curl mist-er right

Kathymack,

I use all of the products that you recommended and I am thrilled!

Originally Posted by ~spiral*spaghetti~
I'm so glad that it worked for you. Still my favorite products. Since I rotate, I "save" them for when I want great hair!

Haven't tried the newest version of the Curl Cleanse. Website is OOS on a lot of the products, so I'm waiting to place an order.

If you do send Monique a note, tell her you read about them on nc.com. It's good for the owners to know that people get a lot of their information here.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
I've been wanting to try this line and recently got the Clean Cream in a trade. The smell was so strong and perfumy that I didn't even try it. The smell was that bad to me.

Now I do know that this bottle was from when the formula first changed, because it had the quat in it, so I'm wondering if others have had problems with the smell of Curly Kinks products and if they all smell the same?
2B, normal porosity, elasticity, thickness, texture, moisture loving, protein leery...
Favorites:
CO: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
LO: Dessert Essence Coconut, Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
RO: SSDDMT
DT: JCDCT, SSDDMT
Style: AOMM, CCCL, KMFUM, KCTT
I do not have a problem with the scent. I actually love it. It is not strong to me. It may be that you have a scent sensitivity similar to my grandmother. She cannot walk into Sephora or a perfume department without passing out.

When I visit her I cannot wear products with a scent or I have to have my hair done the day before...its that bad.

Maybe Monique can create an unscented batch for the scent-sensitive customers

It may be worth a try asking her.
3b
Cleanse 1x/Week: homemade apple cider vinegar rinse

Cowash/Condish: botticelli botanicals smoothie condish/honey hemp condish

Leave In: honey hemp condish

Originally Posted by WavesnWheels
I'm highly allergic. Can't walk into stores that have any fragranced it items. Hate floral scents, for the most part. Love the scent of these products--and yes, they are all the same. Kind of that cake batter/vanilla scent, I think. For me, it's pretty light.

Hey guys - Monique told me she had changed the scent in the updated Clean Cream to a light, fresh scent. My revised bottle smells different than the old formula did, it's really pretty faint compared to the old scent. Both are ok with me.
Originally Posted by asugirl
I haven't gotten the newest version of the Clean Cream, yet. Between the site being down and a lot of products being out of stock, I haven't place an order for a long time.
gardencurls likes this.