Curly Kinks

Being the product strumpet I am, I have a new LOVE--Curly Kinks. Curly Kinks - Natural curling gelly & products for kinky curly coily hair types. When I read the thread in the 4a forum, folks talked about it being another clone of the Kinky Curly products. It's not. It's MUCH better, IMHO.

I rarely use the same product in a week, but my hair was so incredible on Saturday--I had to try these products again, so I could write about them. My hair was funky last week. Like I used a product with an ingredient it didn't like.

First of all, I have to say that the smell is divine--like a cross between vanilla and baby powder. It's light and really nice. They call it their signature scent and it's in all of the products. It's one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled in a product.

Twirly Curl Cleanse: Water, Mentha piperita (Pepperment) Leaf Extract, Yucca Leaf Extract, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, Urtica dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Melissa officinalis (Melissa) Leaf Extract, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (derived from natural source), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, PEG -7 Olivate (derived from olive oil), Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance, Citric Acid

Satin Roots: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Persea Americana Oil (Avocado Oil), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance

Coil Jam: Distilled Water, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Sea Kelp, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Vegetable Glycerin, Agave Nectar, Olive Oil, Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil , Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Meadowfoam (Limnanthes alba) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Frangrance, Citric Acid

I started with the cleanser because it had coco b far down on the list. It didn't foam or get sudsy, but it did remove whatever was in my hair. I styled with a small amount of the Satin Roots (a small blob on my canopy, and a small blob upside down) that I finger combed in and scrunched upside down. I repeated with the Coil Jam. Went through my normal drying routine--wrapped in a Curlease while I dressed and did makeup, CLU to scrunch out the water and diffuse upside down without touching hair for about five minutes. Air dried the rest of the way. My hair had a little crunch which I scrunched out with bare hands. While I was out, I got lots of hair compliments from strangers--my hair was that perfect. Beautiful spirals and NO frizz!

I used the two styling products again today with the same results. My hair was fabulous again. It even started to rain later in the day and I got it rained on twice. Top is a little flatter, but the curls are still perfect and there is still no frizz.

These products are a definite keeper! I already placed my second order and bought the DT (even though I don't DT, I thought that I could use it as a li/curl enhancer.)

Curlycue ReNew: Distilled Water, Certified Organic Burdock Root (Arctium lappa), Certified Organic Amla (Emblica officianalis) , Certified Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense), Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Guarsilk, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance
swaves and gardencurls like this.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Are you selling samples LOL?
Originally Posted by abstractcurls
Since I rarely use shampoo/cleanser, I only bought one of them to try. The ingredients looked so good on the leave in and jam, I bought two of each the first time. As I've said, I already ordered more of all of them. They also have a spray and a "shine" product, but I don't use those.
FrizzBgone likes this.

can you compare it to any other products? did you have to use much?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Oh, boy. If the product guru recommends these so highly, the PJ in me may not be able to resist! LOL!

How was the hold?

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
can you compare it to any other products? did you have to use much?
Originally Posted by rbb
I really can't compare it to anything else. It's the best my hair has ever looked in the 4+ years that I've been using products. On the 4a forum, they compared the jam to KCCC and the leave in to KCKT. I used KCCC yesterday, so I could compare. It's not an HG product, for me, and my hair was okay--not fabulous. I don't use KCKT, it's not moisturizing enough for my hair. Usually, I use a leave in, curl enhancer and a jelly product this time of the year, but I only used the leave in and jam--my hair was great. Despite the rain, the dewpoint is 31 right now. Can't imagine that it was much higher earlier in the day.

I rarely use much of any product. An ounce of the leave in would probably give me 10-12 uses, at least. 3/4 of an ounce of of the jam would probably be the same.

Only used the cleanser once. I take CJ Daily Fix to my haircut/highlight appointment every six weeks. I might use it one other time during the six weeks, but usually not. If I use it too much, I find it drying. I don't think I'd find this cleanser drying--even if I used it weekly. However, I don't think I'd do that. I just don't have the need. I do think that I will continue to take the Daily Fix to the salon. They have enough trouble with the lack of lather from the Daily Fix, so could never handle this cleanser.

How was the hold?
Originally Posted by curlyserf
I don't have issues with hold. Don't use any gels, etc. They cause frizz for me. I will say that it's raining, the temperature is 40 and the dewpoint 31. I got caught in the rain twice walking less then a block from the car. As I said in my review, my top is flatter, but the curls are tight spirals and there is no frizz.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review, my hair is soft and feels product free.

ah, i know i'll be ordering it at some point. and glad you said you found kckt drying as i did, too. so this leave in must be more moisturizing. i'll look at more reviews here and it might be the next gel i order when i run out of what i have. and it looks like the leave in kind of goes together with it.??
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I can't wait to try this. It has been awhile since I've been excited to try a new product.
Just ordered the jam . I wanted to try out the satin roots but there was none listed in her etsy shop. I shall report back after I've tried it out.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Last edited by curlykey; 12-22-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Originally Posted by curlykey
It's a shame you didn't use the link in the first post, it's there. Monique is very responsive, if you email her at the customer service address: info@curlykinks.com, she may be able to add it for you. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to try them together. My hair was so incredible the two times I used them, I'm hesitant to see how they work with something else.

Ditto!
kam, how are these products for volume? I'm loving more volume since I got my little bob.
CG - July 2009
CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
Originally Posted by curlykey
Originally Posted by kathymack
Done! Purchased 16 oz!!
Originally Posted by angel29ish
Angel, I think you'd like it. You know how some products just give your hair a good shape, now that you have your bob?? My hair is longer then I like. It still looked great when I went for my last cut, so he only trimmed it after the highlight. (I had too many commitments and had to go for my regular appt.) When I say my hair was FABULOUS, there was nothing that wasn't good about it--the shape, the curls, the non existence of frizz, the way it felt like there was no product in it AND the compliments! I had a woman ask me if that was my hair. She was a curly with flat ironed hair. Said if she could have hair like mine, she'd wear it curly. All of her friends who were with her agreed.

Well, if you've been on 4a, then you know I've tried this stuff and it's not KCCC, nor is it UFD, it's the softest (produces a soft, frizz free look) yet most hydrating of them all. I liked the LI and the styler, but the shipping and the fact that I have stuff that works just as well wouldn't make me repurchase unless there was a real sale.
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!

]
Facebook|Twitter
Originally Posted by kathymack
I know exactly what you are talking about! Lol I'm sold and will be placing an order right away. There is nothing better to validate great hair than a stranger's compliment! ...and the magic words "non existence of frizz".
Too many others to list!
Shipping is less expensive if you purchase from her etsy shop :-).

LeanneM likes this.
$5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Last edited by curlykey; 12-22-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Hey lady! Love the hair!
Originally Posted by Naturalista
Hey Nat! Thanks! Look at you beautiful curly lady! In your avi, it looks like your curls are getting long! Good to hear from you!
I'm not too worried about shipping cost, if I was I'd never get anything decent in Canada...lol On Black Friday I had a little hissy and didn't order from CJ because shipping was going to be $25. Regrets the next day Lol.
Originally Posted by Naturalista
I think that's what's so interesting about most of the products, what works on one head doesn't work as well on another. I haven't used the UFD in a long time and will have to use it again soon. I didn't have KCCC around for a long time; however, restocked it. It's the kind of product that everyone should have the opportunity to try. It's not a product I'd miss if I couldn't get it.