Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #1

ringlets of fire's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Default Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade changed?

Do you use Aveda Brilliant? It's the one in the small blue jar. I think they've changed the formula. It isn't the same oily formula that I liked. It disappears in my hands. It takes much more to spread through my hair. It doesn't get rid of the frizz or pull the curl together. I've used it since the late 80s. I've seen the jar change a few times over the years. However, this is the first time that the formula seems different.

Over a year ago, they were out. I tried to order online. I got repeated emails that it was back ordered. Then, they cancelled my order. I told them that I still wanted it. They said they didn't have it... that I should reorder when it was back in stock... but it was cancelled. I wrote a letter saying that I'd used it for over 25 years. I asked if there was anything that they could do. I got a generic response... they'd not even read what I'd written. Recently, I went into the store. They had it again. The sales person said that they had a shortage of jojoba oil, so the Brilliant Pomade had been out of stock for a while. I bought it. I am so disappointed that it isn't the same. It smells like it. It looks like it. It seems to be missing that magic, oily ingredient that gave my hair the weight and shine it needed.

Can any of you suggest another product with jojoba oil? Do any of you use a particular brand of jojoba oil?
Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
ringlets of fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

slivola's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011

Hi,
I don't use that product but do use a lot of aveda products and I had a similar thing happen to the older defining whip which I loved. I would suggest you try contacting them again, but do it online at their website via live chat. They will be more helpful with getting you the information you need. Good luck!

3a (
with 3b)
Fine texture/
Normal porosity/Medium density
Low Poo
(Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
Color
Maintenance:
Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
slivola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #3

Join Date: Nov 2004

I have some of this if you want to swap its way too oily for my fine hair
and its just sitting in my cupboard :^)
Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
Finally grew out my bad layers!!!
long_n_curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #4

curlsAbound's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008

I was going to offer you the rest of my tub but realized it's the ANTI humectant ...
2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
HG's
Poo/Condish:Desert Essences shampoo and conditioner, Biolage Deep Treatment, LiveClean moisturizing low 'poo/condish, Loréal NutriGloss Treatment
Leave in: BWC, HSH pumpkin potion, Aveda Be Curly style-prep
Stylers:
my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG; Aveda Phomollient + BeCurly curl enhancer; Biolage Gelée + AOMM, AG mousse gel

yup, I'm an unabashed PJ!
For $5 off at iherb.com, use this code: DEY827