Attention GFSAS/GFTN lovers -- Renpure Organics as a possible replacement!

I am confused and maybe you all can help. I am totally disappointed that GFTN now has amodimethicone in it as it was my go to leave in.

BUT I just checked out the Renpure Keratin and Argan oil conditioners on the Renpure site and BOTH have silicone in them - listed as silicone quaternium-17. I don't even know what that is! If you didn't like the GFTN having amodimethicone in it, is this stuff different? I'm trying to avoid silicones all together as they make my hair really frizzy.

Why is this silicone better?
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG

Why is this silicone better?
Originally Posted by tinah
The ingredient with the name silicone isn't an actual silicone. Corinna looked the ingredient up when these products surfaced and posted about it somewhere in this thread I believe.
CG as of Feb. 2012
combination hair.
2c on top - low elasticity
3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
porosity: normal to high.
loves protein and moisture.
BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
It is a water soluble silicone (thank you Google and Curl Chemist). That was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the ingredients too, so I immediately did some research. Amodimethicone is not water soluble and requires a stronger cleanser to remove. The cone in the Renpure Organics conditioners is the equivalent of the ones that have PEG or PPG at the beginning of the name. They do not require any special cleansers to remove from the hair.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

Last edited by Corrina777; 05-07-2012 at 10:21 AM.
I'm back.

Renpure unfortunately isn't working for me. The argan oil is too heavy, and the keratin is too proteinaceous. :[ I gave it a valiant effort and made it through a bottle of each, almost. They'd start off ok, but it would get buildy-uppy within a few days and I'd be using shampoo again. Good hair days were only about 2-4 days after shampoo. Then days 5+ would be stringy and oily, and the shampoo day would be frizzy.

BUT I recently found the Yes To Carrots at target. I guess it's been there all along, but in a weird section not with the other hair care. It's by lotions and stuff. huh. So I tried that, and while it's kind of heavy, I think it may be the answer for me. The next weeks will tell!
styling tools: microfiber towel for plopping, diffuser
My brain keeps saying not to use Renpure Keratin since it says "straightening" on it. But looking at the ingredients and hearing from you guys, it doesn't seem to matter. I think I saw this at Albertson's. I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm there.

2c or something MODCG Since December 2011!
New May 20th Routine
Low-poo:SheaM
Co-wash:VO5 KiwiLime or VanillaMint
LI:TN, Regis OliveOil Condish, GVP CB
Styler: LALSG
Daily routine: Cleanse, LI, soak with water, scrunch in gel, plop, pixie diffuse, air dry.

I'm back.

Originally Posted by shizzlebeans
The Keratin was definitely not for me either - I can tolerate some protein, but shea butter makes my hair do bizarre things! The Argan is much better, and I haven't had any buildup issues, but then I alternate my products pretty frequently.

The one I like the best is the new Australian "Sun and Surf" line. I get less frizz and better curls, and it has the same intriguing smell as the other formulas (oh.hi.its.steph describes it as reminiscent of Play-Doh, which is spot on).

YTC is also quite good, and I'm considering the Cucumbers poo and condish as well, based on the glowing feedback on the board (I'm such a lemming - hangs head in shame).

After a major spending spree when I first went CG, my primary objective now is to find reasonably priced, locally available products that give me results I can live with.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
PT: BASK Whiskey Soak

Originally Posted by yossarian
YTCarrots was ok, but I had a buildup issue again. It's not a good cowash for me. YTCucumbers actually doesn't work. I don't know what's in it, but my hair doesn't dry. For hours. Sad, because I get great curl and clumps, love the scent, but I can't SOTC for hours, and that's not really working.
styling tools: microfiber towel for plopping, diffuser
Too much protein for me also, it only worked for me once or twice. I would use it as a pt

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App
I wanted to follow up here again because I found a [probably temporary] solution in Garnier Color Shield.

I know, they'll ruin it soon enough, but it is working about as well as old GFTN. I don't like the smell as much and the color is this off-putting pink, but I am just happy to be able to have good hair again. :]
styling tools: microfiber towel for plopping, diffuser
These work well if u can handle a lo poo every couple days. I read a response from the company somewhere in here that the silicone quaternium is partially water soluable.

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App
I wanted to try Renpure at one time and had noticed it in all CVS and Walgreen stores around...Now, I can't find it ANYWHERE.
I actually found it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I was surprised at their extensive bath/body product selection.
3A!
Low Poo: GTTT, TJ's Refresh

Rinse Out: LVP, TJ's Nourish, GFTN, 365, SSCC
Styling: HEBE,
Biotera Curl Cream/Gel, Marie Dean, EW SAJ, Pink Boots, Re:Coil, KCCC, CK
Still loving the Keratin condish It makes my hair so happy haha.
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
I'm bumping this old thread to find out if anyone actually likes the new formula of GFTN with the amodimethicone? I've been having a lot of frizz issues and some damaged areas from a bad highlight/lowlight over processing and wondered if it would help calm down my hair. I use to be a silicone queen and use everything with as much silicone as possible when everyone thought it was good for curly hair in the 80's and 90's. so any thoughts? i shampoo with a low poo about once or twice a week which should remove it occasionally but wondered how it compared to the old formula? Thanks!
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.