Attention GFSAS/GFTN lovers -- Renpure Organics as a possible replacement!

Hey fellow curlies who loved GFSAS and GFTN as much as I did... (I'm about to shed a small tear in their memory, LOL! I miss them so much!) I found something that could quite possibly be an excellent replacement!

In the most perfect timing, Renpure Organics pretty much JUST released two lines of products that are, for the most part, silicone-free (as well as entirely being gluten free, harsh sulfate free, paraben free, and free of harsh salts and chemicals). One is their Brazillian Keratin line, and the other is their Argan Oil line.

I've so far only used the Brazillian Keratin line, which is meant to go along with their also seemingly awesome Keratin treatment but works just as well used on its own. The shampoo is gentle and wonderful, and here's the most important part -- THE CONDITIONER. It is glorious. You can find it at your local supermarket or drug store for about $6 for 16 ounces, so roughly the same price as GF products. It has awesome moisturizing oils and keratin protein, and is very slippy and excellent for detangling in the shower. My hair just drinks it up and I love it! I think this product is an excellent replacement because it is moisturizing and heavy yet won't weigh the hair down or make it greasy, and contains wonderful fatty alcohols and moisturizing ingredients.

I have yet to try the Argan Oil line, but just looking at the ingredients I don't see how any of the products WOULDN'T be awesome. I'll report back ASAP because I'm planning on searching for it this weekend. But I highly encourage you all to try these products as a replacement -- I'm amazed, simply put.

LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
Thanks for the suggestions! I will have to try these as I go through my hoard of old GTFN. :]
scientist, cat owner, hobby photographer
2b-c, medium porosity, medium texture, protein-indifferent
former straightening junkie; CG since August 2011
conditioners: V05 Kiwi Lime, Garnier pure clean, Renpure Keratin
products: FSG, LALSG, AIF, BRHG, Tresemme hair spray
styling tools: microfiber towel for plopping, diffuser
Originally Posted by shizzlebeans
Good luck! Haha, I still have plenty of GFSAS to use but I'm almost tempted to just... not use it. Lol, that's how much I'm liking this Renpure stuff! I couldn't stop myself from trying it before I used up my old stash, and now I'm hooked. *sigh* I guess I'll save GFSAS for deep treatment day, because I know SAS + honey + coconut oil + heat + 30ish minutes = luscious hair.

LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
has GFTN been discontinued? I hope not, it's one of my favorites!! These new products look great, I may have to try these as well.
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
Steph, funny you should mention Renpure's new Argan Oil conditioner. I was looking at that tonight in my search for a GFTN replacement.

I'm looking at maybe trying Burt's Bees too. Their new More Moisture (with Baobab) conditioner, and new Very Volumizing (with Pomegranate) conditioner both have cetearyl alcohol, avocado oil, and glycerin like GFTN does. A little leery of the salt in them, but the rest looks decent.

Burt's Bees More Moisture Conditioner with Baobab: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Brassica Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Arginine, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Fragrance, Sodium Polyaspartate, Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Laurylglucosides Chloride, Glycerin, Brassicyl Isoleucinate Esylate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Behenyl Behenate, Lactic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Leuconostoc Ferment Filtrate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate

Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Conditioner with Pomegranate: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Brassica Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Arginine, Lactic Acid, Punica Granatum Seed Oil, Fragrance, Sodium Polyaspartate, Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Laurylglucosides Chloride, Glycerin, Brassicyl Isoleucinate Esylate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Behenyl Behenate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Sodium Chloride, Leuconostoc Ferment Filtrate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate

@Beebop, GFTN hasn't been discontinued, but it's been reformulated with amodimethicone.

LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 KLS, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, L'Oreal Studio Clean gel, Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's as needed
Thank you! I just found that out after combing through all the different threads about it. I tried the new Burt's bees reformulated conditioners and they didn't have as much slip for me but smelled great, I just gotta have that slip! Haven't tried the new Burts bees GUD line though, so i'm not sure about that one.
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Steph, thanks for posting this!!! I am SO bummed about my beloved Garniers being reformulated! Ugh! Last night I went to four stores trying to stock up on old formulas of S&S and TN, and everywhere I went, the new versions were on the shelf. This happened so fast!!! Like a thief in the night!! I am kind of hoping the old ones will start to show up in Big Lots maybe in the next month or two, that would be sweet.

Anyway, I am definitely going to purchase the Renpures, I totally trust your review! One question, how is the scent?? I normally actually love fragranced products, but that other Renpure, the parched hair one in the red bottles, gag, the scent!!!! I seriously can't stand the way that smells, I normally don't have adverse reactions to products, but I hate that stuff! I am crossing my fingers that these new formulations are bearable!!

Editing to add I just looked at their website, and if you can't find this on the ground, they have free shipping this month on orders over $18, nice!!

Last edited by jlpmom23; 03-20-2012 at 05:34 AM.
jlpmom -- The scent is... hmm. Unremarkable. Lol! It just doesn't smell like anything, in my opinion. It smells clean, maybe vaguely floral or like bananas or something but the smell doesn't linger.

I'm also going to have to try those Burts Bees conditioners. I need to have some conditioners on rotation so I'll never be devastated by something being discontinued ever again!

LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
I've been eyeing Burt's bees. Especially the conditioner for volume. I love the smell. I haven't tries it yet so if someone beats me to it you should post a review. I've also considered getting Yes To Carrots.
CG as of Feb. 2012
combination hair.
2c on top - low elasticity
3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
porosity: normal to high.
loves protein and moisture.
BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
I actually tried one of the new reformulated Burt's bees and thought it smelled great but it didn't seem as moisturizing or have as much slip as GFTN so I took it back to Sprouts market, not knowing that GFTN wouldn't be an option anymore so I may not have given it a fair enough or long enough trial. I think I tried the Baobab conditioner since it looked the most natural as far as ingredients go. I might have to try the mango one since I love the scent and I low poo with the Giovanni mango shampoo/shower gel/bubble bath once a week they might smell nice together.

Anyone try the new "GUD" line from Burt's bees?
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
I haven't tried it, but I looked at the Gud line online and wasn't super impressed with the ingredients list. The three varieties all have highly similar ingredients, mostly plant extracts as far as I can tell, along with some sunflower oil, plus cetearyl alcohol and glycerin (like GFTN has). To me, they didn't seem like a good candidate for a GFTN replacement, but that's just me looking at ingredients and thinking "not enough good oils, probably not moisturizing enough".

PT: IAGirl's as needed
It is too funny that you should post this, because I was thinking about the GFTN conditioner recently and what a good substitute might be, and Renpure popped into my head! I have also been eyeing BB's conditioners for a long time, so I just may have to try one of these when I finish my GFTN and TN. I will be stalking this thread for more great ideas! Oh, and I was also thinking about Yes to Carrots as another possible sub. Probably not the best sub, but still similar.
Still SOOOO upset with the formula change!! And I was going to possibly try the S&S next, too, but they changed that as well. Darn.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!
Thanks for the tip! That's a great price. Something I would definitely be willing to pay to replace another great (cheap) conditioner! I know what I'm buying next. Thanks
Looked at walmart and walgreens for the Renpure line and couldn't find anything not even the old bottles, where are you all finding this?

I just diffused my hair dry with the Burt's Bees super shiny mango conditioner with a large pea size as a leave in and it dried nice with lots of curl and very little frizz seems to have fairly good slip but I had to use a lot of it. I like to try all my conditioners alone first to see how moisturizing they are without my styling products.
I also have Yes to Carotts, sonoma soap company first crush and Giovanni smooth as silk that I'll try alone and see how they compare to GFTN.
I also tried the new Acure line argan oil conditioner which smelled amazing like almond extract but had little slip and left my hair very dry and frizzy/poofy looking when dry.
GFTN always gave me a lot of moisturized curls without much frizz so I'm comparing all these to those kind of results. I tend to use more natural products and the GFTN had the least amount of bad chemicals in it and still worked great.
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
If you can't find it locally, you can get it online at the Renpure site. Buy $18 worth of product and get free shipping.

Originally Posted by Geek_Chic
Thanks for the info. I even tried looking on Ulta's website and nothing comes up, strange!
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Oh -- I forgot about Giovanni Smooth As Silk! That may be a good dup as well. I LOVED that conditioner. It made my hair quite shiny and sleek I should try it again.

To everyone wondering where to get them -- these products are very very new. Be patient and keep looking, I'm sure they'll be available soon!

Also, an update: my hair feels soft and wonderful. I love the keratin consitioner. Take that, Garnier -- you were easy to replace!

Originally Posted by Geek_Chic
Originally Posted by Beebop
I wanted to try Renpure at one time and had noticed it in all CVS and Walgreen stores around...Now, I can't find it ANYWHERE.
2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
So I've spent the last few days searching two different counties for the new Renpure conditioners (the third county is scheduled for tomorrow when I'm out there- I travel a lot for work and choir). I cannot tell you how many bottles of old GFTN I've found. I've walked away from no less than 15 of the large bottles just this week. (I picked up two extra bottles and refuse to buy anymore just on general principal). But, no luck on the Renpure Organics yet. I found one store that theoretically carries it, and their shelves were stocked full of the keratin line, and they had the argan deep conditioners, but there was a big gaping hole on the shelf where the argan shampoo and conditioner were supposed to be. Ugh!! They offered to take my name and call me when it come in, but I guess in the meantime I'll just keep looking. Hopefully they get it soon- they're even running a sale on Renpure for the rest of the month- $2 off!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
I used to see Renpure everywhere, Walmart, CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens. This week I scoured my town, and the only place I found it was Rite-Aid. Even then, it was only the Brazilian Keratin one. I snagged a bottle anyway, since my hair doesn't freak out on protein, and the day 1 results were comparable to GFTN for me. Easier detangling, and maybe more slip than GFTN, and I thought it was crazy slippy. Gonna see how the Renpure works out in subsequent uses.