love LALSG but it's drying - any similar gels?

I am reposting this over here because it didn't get much love in the general forum last week. Hope that's ok

So, I love LALSG so much. The problem is, when I use it for too many days in a row, my hair gets very dry. I think for me it may be a glycerin sensitivity, because protein doesn't generally give me a problem in moderate doses. Or maybe there's just something about this formula that is drying to some people?

Anyway, I know a lot of other curlies have had dryness from LALSG, so I'm wondering... is there anything you have found that functions the same, but is less drying?

I've been switching between LALSG and Aussie Instant Freeze to avoid the dryness (or doing DTs when needed). But I'm not crazy about AIF and I wish I could find something to replace LALSG all together... just haven't found anything that makes my curls as nice. I have also been liking the Pantene curly series gel, but it doesn't have the hold power that LALSG does which I think I'll need for summer.

Thanks in advance curlies!
My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Likes: Plopping!
Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it!
I'd point at the sorbitol too, not just the glycerin as a possible dryness causer. Sorbitol is both a nonionic surfactant and a humectant, and there's even more of it than there is glycerin in LALSG. Maybe try layering some AIF under the LALSG as sort of a buffer? You'd still get the hold of LALSG but there'd be another layer of gel between it and your hair that would hopefully help prevent dryness. Or, if your hair likes a bit of oil, try sealing between your LI and the LALSG.
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Autumn Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 KLS, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, L'Oreal Studio Clean gel, Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's as needed
I used to love LALSG but it stopped working for me. I now avoid glycerin. I use LA Looks Power Spikes. Hold is 12 (harder than LALSG), it's glycerin free but does have protein. I don't like it alone but I mix it with either AIF or HESMU and I get hold, shine and little frizz.

Only bad thing about it is the smell. It's a manly scent. Don't care for it but I've gotten used to it. When mixed, it quickly fades. I like the smell of LALSG much better!
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Originally Posted by Cuban-curl-E
I have had the same issues lately. Lately I have been switching between the AIF and BRHG or the LALPS. I always add a little bit of oil in the gel to keep from having the drying effects. I need a lot of hold and this has been really working for me. I also use the SM Curling Souffle (which I adore) with a little bit of PS or BRHG for added hold. Seems to be working.