-   -   Cheap drugstore sulfate-free shampoos (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/142735-cheap-drugstore-sulfate-free-shampoos.html)

Cloudrose 04-04-2012 03:47 PM

Cheap drugstore sulfate-free shampoos

I have decided to switch to sulfate-free shampoos but I can not find any that are cheap as in under five dollars. Can you please help.

longcurlygirl 04-04-2012 04:37 PM

Shea moisture curl and shine one is the one I love and it's what you're looking for :)

3c4d7zwhatevs 04-04-2012 04:48 PM

Renpure Organics? It is about $6 per bottle. Can't think of any under $5 offhand. Shea Moisture is about $10 per bottle.

If you are near a TJ MAxx or Marshalls I often see Giovanni and ICI Naturals for $10 per litre.

Mcfrizzy 04-04-2012 04:52 PM

Organix comes in all kinds but its 13 ounces for 7 dollars i think. If you can find the new renpure bottles then their about 6 dollars for 16 ounces

Auntie Bubbs 04-07-2012 11:02 AM

The only one I can think of is Tresemme Naturals. I think its sulfate free. I know at WalMart its under $5. But I can't vouch for how good it is; my sister tried it solely because of price, and took it back because she didn't like it. She ended up buying Loreal Sleek and Shine (which I won't use because the smell is awful for me) at about $8 a bottle, and likes that much better.
I guess it depends on your criteria. If it's solely price, or if price is your number 1 driving factor above everything else, then product reviews aren't going to be as important. If product reviews carry more weight and you're willing to raise your price point by 2 or 3 dollars, you'll find better candidates.
And then, too, are you looking for 100% sulfate free, or modified CG? Because Trader Joe's shampoos are not sulfate free but they are SLS free, and they are less than $3. I rotate TJ's Refresh in my routine and have no problem with it being too harsh, because the sulfate in it is pretty low in the ingredient list, and I only use it every 4th time I shampoo.
My sulfate-free 100% CG-poo cost me around $6.50 at the health food store :) I did buy it on sale though. (It's from the Sonoma Soap Company and I love it, it gets my hair squeeky clean and it amazingly gentle.) But still, a great price for a 100% CG poo.

So there are options, but your price point may be low if you want real quality. Quality ingredients do cost money - you get what you pay for.
Some people do like the Tresemme shampoo though, I don't mean to knock it. I just know my sister didn't like it; and her hair is thin, not overly dry, 3a, and has been damaged from too much straightening. Just based on her feedback, I know I probably would not try it.

Don't forget that on drugstore brands - like Loreal, Tresemme, Garnier, etc. you can get coupons, either from the companies' websites, the newspapers, or magazines. That can lower prices that might seem out of your price range. (Coupons are how my sister buys the more expensive Loreal line she uses.) If you have Fresh and Easy markets in your area, they have a customer appreciation program that gives you dollars back for shopping in their store - you can spend your free dollars on shampoos :) Other markets may do the same.
And as someone else said, check TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Big Lots, other discounters, they will carry brands that might usually be out of your price range. Maybe not $5, but when you figure out the price per ounce for the biggie sizes, it would probably come down to about the same as $5 a bottle for the smaller size.

HTH

keepitmovin2.0 04-09-2012 09:39 PM

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Sulfate Free shampoo (red bottle/yellow label)...bought at Walgreens for $5.

RingletTeenLove 04-10-2012 11:29 AM

EverCreme and EverSmooth!!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using CurlTalk App

wavywacky 05-07-2012 09:31 PM

CVS version of Loreal EverPure

I noticed at my local CVS drugstore that they have a CVS version of the Loreal EverPure sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. The price was $4.99 per tube, and it was on the shelf right next to the Loreal equivalent.

Hope that helps.

wendi.wendy 05-08-2012 07:02 AM

I love the Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo -- I usually find it on sale for a little over 5 bucks at Fruitful Yield. I've also seen it at Vitamin Shoppe and, I believe, Target.

Afrotastic 05-08-2012 11:59 AM

Renpure is good!

Michellescurls 05-08-2012 08:12 PM

VO5 is sulfate free, and only .99 at my local CVS. Also suave naturals- a lot of people like the coconut. They were all out when I went, so I got the everlasting sunshine. I'm not sure if that's a different product or just different scent, but it works fine for me. But definitely VO5 a lot of people like, and for a great price too!

beanjelly 05-08-2012 08:18 PM

Trader Joe's Nourish Shampoo is sulfate free. It's about $3.

Auntie Bubbs 05-10-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by beanjelly (Post 1950038)
Trader Joe's Nourish Shampoo is sulfate free. It's about $3.

Trader Joe's Nourish is NOT sulfate free. It has a sulfate low down on the ingredient listing. Double check your ingredient list - unless TJ's has reformulated their shampoos in the last 6 months, the sulfate is there, C14-16 olefin sulfonate, and you'll find it about 3/4 of the way down the list.

Check what I said in my earlier post - that Trader Joe's shampoos were around $3 and had a sulfate that was low down on the ingredient list, so they were (IMO) not as harsh. I personally really like TJ's shampoos and the sulfate does not bother me, and I have dry hair. I think as long as you aren't using the sulfate shampoo to wash with every time you poo your hair, you're ok. But everyone's hair reacts differently. Still, it's a matter of preference, but IMO TJ's poos are some of the best on the market :) and you can't beat their price.

waterlily716 12-11-2012 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michellescurls (Post 1950032)

Just wanted to clarify (no pun intended) that the suave naturals and vo5 shampoos are NOT sulfate free. Suave has ALS, and vo5 has SLS and SLES.