• 1 Post By curlangel0690

Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Join Date: Jan 2010
Default L.A. Looks Sports Jell Vs. Eco Styler?

I am just starting CG today and wondering how the L.A. Looks Sports Jell or if Eco Styler compare side by side. I have been using the L.A. Looks jell even before going CG and got "ok" results but my curls are already a little better using the same jell even after day 1 of CG. I just wonder if I would get even better results with the Eco Styler. I am almost out of the L.A. Looks so I am looking to buy one or the other. I have fine 3b hair, not sure yet what porosity but it's been damaged before so it might be high. Thanks for any suggestions!
MonroeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #2

BeachCurlGurl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009

I don't think they really compare at all. Eco styler is a curl enhancer with no hold. LA looks is a gel with hold not a curl enhancer.
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

BeachCurlGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

beeduh's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011

I really like it anyway. Just bought 32 oz. for 2.99 at sally's. I haven't compared hold, but eco styler has good hold for me.
CG as of Feb. 2012
combination hair.
2c on top - low elasticity
3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
porosity: normal to high.
loves protein and moisture.
BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
beeduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

curlangel0690's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011

I like both and both give me good hold. I have problems with each though. The LAL drys my hair out by day 2 and the wrong ecostyler makes my hair gummy. I didn't have much luck with the ES olive oil, ok results with the argan oil, but the best with the krystal. If I had to pick which I liked the most it would be the Ecostyler Krystal.
beeduh likes this.
"I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
3b/c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, low elasticity

curlangel0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

BeachCurlGurl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009

I like ecostyler too but I use it differently than LA looks gel.
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

BeachCurlGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

Is this the LALSG that everyone is talking about? I added it to my order that I just placed.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length. Modified CG since 5/2004; growing gray since 5/2007.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote

Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, Cure Care
Stylers: HESMU, LALSG
PT: IAGirl's (every 2 weeks or as needed)
Trying: Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
Geek_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to trying this.
Location: Texas
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

mhen76's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010

I frequently use both. I layer the EcoStyler Krystal first to get definition and tame frizzies. Then I top it with a little LALSG for extra hold. My hair is also fine but my porosity is on the low side.
3B, fine, normal to low porosity
Modified CG since June 2010
HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
mhen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #10

wendi.wendy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010

Originally Posted by BeachCurlGurl View Post
This is how I look at these products as well. If I use EcoStyler, I use it more like a curl cream with a harder-hold gel over it. I would never be able to swap LA Looks for EcoStyler and get good results.
~ Wendi in IL
3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
CG since March 2010

wendi.wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

guthak01's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012

LALSG gives me hold AND curl enhancement. Actually a lot of curl enhancement. Eco styler did not have nearly as much hold. It gave me soft curls.
3a/3b, Fine Hair, Low porosity, Medium Density
guthak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #12

ladybug8412's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012

I had started using the LALSG, but it didn't give me great definition or hold. I went out and bought Eco Styler Krystal and layered a small amount under the LALSG, and my curls came out looking great! I'm afraid to try it alone.
Fine 2b hair, medium density, high porosity, normal elasticity
High dew points every season except winter, but high humidity year-round
Modified CG since 5/26/12
Low 'poo: Nature's Gates Herbal Shampoo
CO wash: V05 Kiwi Squeeze Clarifying Conditioner
RO: GVP CB
DT: GVP CB
PT: ION EC twice a week; IA Girl's Gelatin PT once a week
Styler: Just 4 Us Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard, HETT gel, and Ecostyler Krystal
Methods: diffusing for volume, SOTC
HG Products: Just 4 Us CC, GVP CB
ladybug8412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #13

jeepcurlygurl's Avatar

Join Date: May 2005

Originally Posted by wendi.wendy View Post
Originally Posted by BeachCurlGurl View Post
ditto. My hair only tolerated small amounts of Ecostyler (I tried various formulas). I think it might have more glycerin which my hair doesn't like in high amounts. LA Looks Sport Gel has been my favorite gel for 6-7 years now and I use it every day.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
jeepcurlygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #14

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I recently bought both the blue LALSG and the white EcoStyler and I prefer the EcoStyler. I layer both (not at the same time, alternately for comparison) over FSG. LALSG dries me out and does not cut down on frizz at all. When I layer FSG under EcoStyler or under Aussie Instant Freeze, I have almost no frizz, but under LALSG, tons of frizz, little definition, and I can't get 2nd day hair.
I'm going to try layering the LALSG over EcoStyler and see how that works, but I don't have high hopes, and I'm not going to repurchase it.

I do like the EcoStyler, but not as much as Aussie Instant Freeze. The Aussie gives me the best hold, scrunches out great, and I have almost zero frizz when I layer it over FSG. I will say I get alot of clump with the EcoStyler, almost too much. I have to supersoak to break them up.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C