L.A. Looks Sports Jell Vs. Eco Styler?

• 1 Post By curlangel0690

I am just starting CG today and wondering how the L.A. Looks Sports Jell or if Eco Styler compare side by side. I have been using the L.A. Looks jell even before going CG and got "ok" results but my curls are already a little better using the same jell even after day 1 of CG. I just wonder if I would get even better results with the Eco Styler. I am almost out of the L.A. Looks so I am looking to buy one or the other. I have fine 3b hair, not sure yet what porosity but it's been damaged before so it might be high. Thanks for any suggestions!
I don't think they really compare at all. Eco styler is a curl enhancer with no hold. LA looks is a gel with hold not a curl enhancer.
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

I really like it anyway. Just bought 32 oz. for 2.99 at sally's. I haven't compared hold, but eco styler has good hold for me.
CG as of Feb. 2012
combination hair.
2c on top - low elasticity
3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
porosity: normal to high.
loves protein and moisture.
BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
I like both and both give me good hold. I have problems with each though. The LAL drys my hair out by day 2 and the wrong ecostyler makes my hair gummy. I didn't have much luck with the ES olive oil, ok results with the argan oil, but the best with the krystal. If I had to pick which I liked the most it would be the Ecostyler Krystal.
beeduh likes this.
"I'm not high maintenance, my hair is."
3c mostly fine, high to normal porosity, medium density, normal elasticity

Stylers- KMFUM, Eco Styler Krystal, AOMMM, UFDCM,
Oils- Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Coconut
PT- IAGirl's Gelatin PT
DC- AS I Am Hydrating Mask
I like ecostyler too but I use it differently than LA looks gel.
3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

Is this the LALSG that everyone is talking about? I added it to my order that I just placed.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Originally Posted by Spiralli

LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 SC, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, AIF,
Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's (link) as needed
Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to trying this.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
I frequently use both. I layer the EcoStyler Krystal first to get definition and tame frizzies. Then I top it with a little LALSG for extra hold. My hair is also fine but my porosity is on the low side.
3B, fine, normal to low porosity
Modified CG since June 2010
HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
Originally Posted by BeachCurlGurl
This is how I look at these products as well. If I use EcoStyler, I use it more like a curl cream with a harder-hold gel over it. I would never be able to swap LA Looks for EcoStyler and get good results.
~ Wendi in IL
3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
CG since March 2010
Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
Low Poo: Desert Essence
Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
Leave-In:
Cure Care, KCKT
Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

LALSG gives me hold AND curl enhancement. Actually a lot of curl enhancement. Eco styler did not have nearly as much hold. It gave me soft curls.
3a/3b, Fine Hair, Low porosity, Medium Density
Poo- CHS Treatment Shampoo
Low-poo- Devacurl Low Poo
RO- Devacurl One Condition
Leave-In- KCKT/Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
I had started using the LALSG, but it didn't give me great definition or hold. I went out and bought Eco Styler Krystal and layered a small amount under the LALSG, and my curls came out looking great! I'm afraid to try it alone.
Fine 2b hair, medium density, high porosity, normal elasticity
High dew points every season except winter, but high humidity year-round
Modified CG since 5/26/12
Low 'poo: Nature's Gates Herbal Shampoo
CO wash: V05 Kiwi Squeeze Clarifying Conditioner
RO: GVP CB
DT: GVP CB
PT: ION EC twice a week; IA Girl's Gelatin PT once a week
Styler: Just 4 Us Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard, HETT gel, and Ecostyler Krystal
Methods: diffusing for volume, SOTC
HG Products: Just 4 Us CC, GVP CB
Originally Posted by BeachCurlGurl
Originally Posted by wendi.wendy
ditto. My hair only tolerated small amounts of Ecostyler (I tried various formulas). I think it might have more glycerin which my hair doesn't like in high amounts. LA Looks Sport Gel has been my favorite gel for 6-7 years now and I use it every day.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
I recently bought both the blue LALSG and the white EcoStyler and I prefer the EcoStyler. I layer both (not at the same time, alternately for comparison) over FSG. LALSG dries me out and does not cut down on frizz at all. When I layer FSG under EcoStyler or under Aussie Instant Freeze, I have almost no frizz, but under LALSG, tons of frizz, little definition, and I can't get 2nd day hair.
I'm going to try layering the LALSG over EcoStyler and see how that works, but I don't have high hopes, and I'm not going to repurchase it.

I do like the EcoStyler, but not as much as Aussie Instant Freeze. The Aussie gives me the best hold, scrunches out great, and I have almost zero frizz when I layer it over FSG. I will say I get alot of clump with the EcoStyler, almost too much. I have to supersoak to break them up.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C