CG friendly mousse?

Hi all -

I need help! I've quit my flat iron and have found a CG friendly cleanser & conditioner I like... but I'm having trouble with a styling product.

Pre CG - when I wore my hair curly, I preferred using mousse to gel. Gel leaves my curls looking stringy. I always got better clumps using mousse (even if I end up with a little frizz - I prefer these fuller looking curls). Also - my roots are so flat with gel - despite clipping.

Do any of you CGs not use gel? Care to recommend your drugstore styling products? (I'm too impatient to order something... I want to try something else NOW)

Thanks!
Before I started CG, I always used mousse. But I found that gel gives me much better curl definition and less frizz, mainly because it has better hold. So if you haven't tried gel yet, I would recommend at least giving it a try. That being said, there are several CG friendly mousses available.

Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse: definitely a lighter hold than gel, but I like using it for my second day hair.

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Mousse (at Sally's): I just purchased this one after reading lots of really good reviews, but haven't had the chance to try it for myself

TIGI Foxy Curls: More hold than HETT, but I still couldn't use without a gel over top

TIGI Curls Rock Strong Mousse: this is the only mousse I've been able to use without gel. I love this stuff! The TIGI products are more expensive than HETT or BTZ, but this one in particular has given me amazing results.

HTH!

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
Thanks! I've been using gel and like I said, it leaves my curls stringy looking and my roots super flat. I need a hair cut badly (going in a week) - so maybe that'll help a bit.
Also, I recognize that a lot of my issues could just be application technique. I'm going to keep experimenting!
What has worked for me:

I always apply products to sopping wet hair. Some people prefer to apply product to damp hair, but that never worked for me. I rake product through my hair and then scrunch to re-shape the curl. Then I plop for 5-10 minutes.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
Thanks Corrina!

I've been scrunching with a t-shirt - then applying gel - then scrunching again. I hate dripping wet hair! (one of the reasons I blow dried/flat ironed for so long) I'll try your way tomorrow. My hair is on the shorter side, so I don't think plopping is super effective for me.

But it's worth a shot!