Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1

Join Date: Apr 2012
Default CG friendly mousse?

Hi all -

I need help! I've quit my flat iron and have found a CG friendly cleanser & conditioner I like... but I'm having trouble with a styling product.

Pre CG - when I wore my hair curly, I preferred using mousse to gel. Gel leaves my curls looking stringy. I always got better clumps using mousse (even if I end up with a little frizz - I prefer these fuller looking curls). Also - my roots are so flat with gel - despite clipping.

Do any of you CGs not use gel? Care to recommend your drugstore styling products? (I'm too impatient to order something... I want to try something else NOW)

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Corrina777's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

Before I started CG, I always used mousse. But I found that gel gives me much better curl definition and less frizz, mainly because it has better hold. So if you haven't tried gel yet, I would recommend at least giving it a try. That being said, there are several CG friendly mousses available.

Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse: definitely a lighter hold than gel, but I like using it for my second day hair.

Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Mousse (at Sally's): I just purchased this one after reading lots of really good reviews, but haven't had the chance to try it for myself

TIGI Foxy Curls: More hold than HETT, but I still couldn't use without a gel over top

TIGI Curls Rock Strong Mousse: this is the only mousse I've been able to use without gel. I love this stuff! The TIGI products are more expensive than HETT or BTZ, but this one in particular has given me amazing results.

HTH!

3a/f/iii Before the chop- Donated to Locks of Love, January 2013
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CO-WASH: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo
CLARIFY: CHS Treatment Shampoo (used prior to PT/DT)
RO: DevaCare One Condition, Regis Olive Oil
LI: Cure Care, As I Am Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Biotera Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, GVP Liquid Sculpting Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse
PT/DT: IAGirl's PT, One n' Only Argan Hydrating Mask
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

Join Date: Apr 2012

Thanks! I've been using gel and like I said, it leaves my curls stringy looking and my roots super flat. I need a hair cut badly (going in a week) - so maybe that'll help a bit.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Join Date: Apr 2012

Also, I recognize that a lot of my issues could just be application technique. I'm going to keep experimenting!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Corrina777's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

What has worked for me:

I always apply products to sopping wet hair. Some people prefer to apply product to damp hair, but that never worked for me. I rake product through my hair and then scrunch to re-shape the curl. Then I plop for 5-10 minutes.

3a/f/iii Before the chop- Donated to Locks of Love, January 2013
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CO-WASH: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo
CLARIFY: CHS Treatment Shampoo (used prior to PT/DT)
RO: DevaCare One Condition, Regis Olive Oil
LI: Cure Care, As I Am Leave-In
PT/DT: IAGirl's PT, One n' Only Argan Hydrating Mask
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks Corrina!

I've been scrunching with a t-shirt - then applying gel - then scrunching again. I hate dripping wet hair! (one of the reasons I blow dried/flat ironed for so long) I'll try your way tomorrow. My hair is on the shorter side, so I don't think plopping is super effective for me.

But it's worth a shot!