Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Join Date: Apr 2012
Default Throwing in the microfiber towel

Hello fellow curlies!
To say I am frustrated would be the understatement of the year. In December I had my hair cut and highlighted by a Deva stylist. He did an AMAZING job; literally the first time I havent left a salon and immediately pulled my hair up. I purchased DevaCurl foaming mousse-LOVE it. However, at over $20 a pop, its not too realistic to keep my shelves stocked with it. So I came to these boards to seek product guidance and CG wisdom but have had no luck in making my hair look good. I used to get daily compliments on my hair...since December, I have gotten 2 (both times after using "old" product while out of town). Here is the laundry list of what I have tried:
Garnier Triple Nourish Conditioner (hair feels like straw)
Suave Naturals Coconut (decent conditioning)
GVP Conditioning Balm (decent)
GVP Leave in (love this)
Bioterra Styling Gel (hair is crunchy, curls are flat)
Bioterra Curl Creme (if I apply it before gel, its like it makes my hair too soft; if I apply it after blowdrying in an attempt to get rid of the crunch, it gets rid of all definition, regardless of amt used)
Dep gel (crunchy ugly straw on my head)
Beyond the Zone Noodle Head Mousse (loved it when I wasnt CG-now, I am left with lifeless, flat, stringy curls)
As I Am Moisture Milk (just got it this weekend so I dont know how I feel)
Garnier Full Control Anti-humidity hairspray (I like this HS).

I use Deva No Poo every two weeks...hate it. I have build up on my scalp and it does nothing for it. Prior to trying the CG method, I didnt use shampoo so that transition wasnt difficult. I condition my hair daily, use a wide tooth comb in the shower (finger combing = rats nest), put in leave in and scrunch out the water w a microfiber towel. I then apply my product (I do use the Deva Curl method of applying product) and blow dry with an ion drier and big ol' diffuser. Not blow drying isnt an option...going to work with wet hair is frowned upon. I blow dry in sections using the pixie method. I am then left with ugly hair. I have more frizz than before and my roots are beyond flat. My curls are 3B/Botticelli, past my shoulders and thick. I dont know if its the products or blow drying technique. I have searched for a curl revitalizing product (similar to John Frieda Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Cream which I hoarded when I was pre-CG), thinking that if I scrunched that in after drying, I would get better results. Which is why I bought the moisture milk, but like I said, I dont know if I like it yet. Please help...I apologize for the long post but I am about to give up on this and go back to silicones, turbie twist towels and seemingly pretty hair. Thank you for your help

Last edited by wvuash; 04-11-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #2

Join Date: Apr 2012

My curls are 3B/Botticelli, past my shoulders and thick.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #3

Join Date: Aug 2010

Your story is actually not uncommon. I've read a ton of women don't do well with Deva products (me included). It sounds like you may have a protein sensitivity - that is usually a cause of dryness. If your hair shaft is corse (thick) I would avoid it. Also - do you use any oils? I use a glob of coconut oil on my very ends everyday and this keeps them defined and very moisturized.

HTH
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

crazywaves's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008

I havent had a problem going back to using some silicones. I love that I dont spend alot of money on products that dont work. I still use a sulfate free shampoo and havent suffered any build up issues either. If I use alot of heavy silicone products like during the summer months I will clarify once a week.
crazywaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

Join Date: Apr 2012

Glad I'm not the only one with this frustration! It feels very reminiscent to my teen days of LOATHING my curls :/
I dont use any oils...is there any specific brand you recommend, Lisa? Do you put the oil on while your hair is wet?
LOreal Eversleek seems to be getting positive reviews...CrazyWaves, what shampoo/conditioner do you use?
Thanks, ladies
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Join Date: Aug 2010

I agree with the silicone comment - I use amodimethicone, which resists buildup, and enjoy the results. I clarify once a week also.

Yes - the oil goes in while wet - a little goes a longggggggg way. Just any organic virgin coconut oil will do. It is solid at room temperature & melts in your hands.

I CO wash with V05 and/or Suave condish and clarify with Giovanni 50:50.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

Join Date: Apr 2012

Any words of wisdom on blowdrying techniques?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #8

Join Date: Aug 2010

I'm not a huge heat fan - but on the rare occasion I do diffuse my curls - bad things happen if I do it upside-down.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #9

Gretchen's Avatar

Join Date: May 1999
Send a message via AIM to Gretchen

A lot of people have luck with diffusing to about 75% dry and then air drying the rest.
BeachCurlGurl likes this.
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #10

Join Date: Apr 2012

Gretchen, I've tried that and end up with hair madness LOL! Even pre-CG, Ive always had to dry my hair completly which is a pain in the butt, esp in the summer. I will air dry if I dont have anything to do/dont have to look presentable
It goes without saying that 1. this forum and website ROCKS! and 2. I wish it had been around when I was a teen!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #11

curlyserf's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010

One question that came to mind when reading your post is did you use a sulfate shampoo without silicones one last time before starting the CG method? Many people (including myself!) for get this important step. They either don't use a sulfate poo one last time or use a sulfate poo that contains silicones.This step will clarify any buildup you have and let you start with a clean slate.

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
curlyserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Join Date: Apr 2012

It was Garnier Triple Nutrition Shampoo...I think there are silicones in it. The build up has been a problem since December and the stylist used low-poo.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #13

curlyserf's Avatar

Originally Posted by wvuash View Post
Not all low-poos will remove silicone build up. You might want to try picking up a cheapie bottle of Suave Naturals shampoo and doing a clarifying wash with that. Just a suggestion!
Lucky Charm and BeachCurlGurl like this.

Kerri

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #14

Thanks for that suggestion
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #15

Join Date: Mar 2012

I think curlyserf is right about doing a shampoo, with sulphates and no silicones in (preferably no mineral oil either). Also maybe a chelating shampoo ( with EDTA in,not sure what it is but it helps to remove mineral deposits), if you have hard water. If you weren't using shampoo before going CG, but you were using silicones, then you probably began cg with a big build up which has never been fully clarified. I know because I did no poo for a while years ago but didn't know about avoiding silicones, and it took more than one shampoo to get build up off. Without that build up your moisturising products and leave ins etc can do more to treat the hair.

Re root lift, are you diffusing upside down as that could help. As a subsitute for an anti frizz smoothing finisher, to smooth over canopy or put on ends after drying, I am trying Argan oil and it is good but start with a very very little, it is easy to put too much on which gets wierd!
lucyprimrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #16

Join Date: Apr 2012

I have to ask...What happened that turned your daily compliments on your hair to just a couple since December? Was it after the Deva saloon visit? I would recommend you going back to doing whatever you were doing when the compliments were flowing. if it was harsh products, so what! As any curly girl knows the answer is: whatever works!
Kimlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #17

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by wvuash View Post
Any words of wisdom on blowdrying techniques?
You may want to try to scrunch out water with a cotton tee shirt (I use Curls Like Us towel.) Then use your dryer with the diffuser--but don't touch your curls with it. I find that touching gives me a ton of frizz.

I found the Deva NoPoo very drying after they changed the ingredients. My salon has it, I won't let them use it (or any other Deva product for that matter.) Unfortunately, finding the right products is kind of trial and error. The best place to start is to determine your hair properties (texture and porosity) and then look for others with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.)

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #18

Gretchen's Avatar

Join Date: May 1999
Send a message via AIM to Gretchen

Originally Posted by wvuash View Post
Ugh! Sorry that method doesn't work for you. How frustrating! And thank you for your kind words!
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #19

Join Date: Jul 2007

It can take a while to find a routine and products that work for you. I had the same problems the first 2 times I tried CG. The first time I didn't clarify my hair properly so I got more and more build up without realising = stringy, flat hair with frizz.

The second time I was using products my hair just didn't like - it takes time to figure these things out.

I second making sure you do a proper last shampoo with no silicones before starting CG. Now I've found, since moving back to a hard water area - its simply not possible to be full CG because it just builds up on your hair. Curl Junkie Daily Fix is supposed to be very good for that, but personally I liked to use a CG friendly, gentle shampoo once a week or so like Jessicurl, or Sheamoisture etc.

There's a lot of take in and consider - your hair might not like or need a lot of protein or it may love it, etc. I would suggest doing Curl Wizard to get an idea of what products your hair might like. A lot of people here have used it and found it very helpful as a starting point. Curl Wizard - Home

I also always suggest people try making some flaxseed hair gel. I've never heard of anyone not liking this. Its simple, cheap, easy and if nothing else is great at giving you soft, moisturized curls. If you do a search on here loads of recipes will turn up - I'd just do the basic one with flaxseeds and water and keep it in the fridge to begin with.

Another tip - some people find a comb helps bring out their curls, personally, I get frizz if I comb conditioner in, I've found I get better clumping and curl formation by just finger combing - you may well find the same.

I don't recommend Deva products (most people don't) just because they are drying. I would highly recommend Curl Junkie or Kinky Curly Knot Today. I haven't used the products you list, but I have personally found that my hair tends to love the more natural products than stuff you get in supermarkets/on the high street (in fact I buy all my stuff online). If your hair feels like straw, its a good bet it need moisture, so I would look at deep treatments.

Check out the swap boards for some good deals on stuff to try and their is a board member (name escapes me but someone will know) who does samples of a lot of popular products. It really is just a game of trial and error.

Good luck!
kat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #20

Geek_Chic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

Originally Posted by kat180 View Post
Kat, you're probably thinking of Kathymack. Ash, she's posted in this thread, and her siggy has a link to her fotki where she lists all the available products. Then you can pm her with your zip code and a list of the stuff you want.
CG since 11/2011

Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, Cure Care
Stylers: HESMU, LALSG
PT: IAGirl's (every 2 weeks or as needed)
Trying: Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel