Being Too Cautious about ingredients..

I see a lot of people obcessing the fact that there is certain ingredients in hair and i am just wondering...What isnt bad for the hair? I mean im not knocking the go hard naturals out there but i just bought this product from Macy's called Carols daughter smoothie and i went on and see what people are saying about it and came across a lot of thread saying they dont like it because of the ingredients? Can someone explain to me why 'cones' and such are such a no-no? What about just judging off the results instead of the ingredients? Again, im not trying to offend anybody just asking??
A lot of folks on nc.com follow a CG (curly girl) or modified CG routine. That consists of not using sulfates or silicones on hair. The problem is that silicone builds up and needs a shampoo with a harsher chemical (sulfate) to remove it.

On top of that, others have issues with their hair not liking or doing well with other ingredients. My hair HATES castor and mineral oil. Polyquats 4 and 10 build up (I'm not sure of others) and cause frizz when wet. I don't normally use lowpoo on a weekly basis, so that's a problem for me.

Here are the ingredines for the CD Tui Hair Smoothie:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Amodimethicone, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Mauritia Flexuosa (Buriti) Fruit Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol (Pro-vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium Bourbon) Flower Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Aspartic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Polyquaternium-37, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, PEG-40 Castor Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum)

The A cone is easier to remove than Cyclopentasiloxane (cones are anything that ends in cone, xane or conol.) So, many of use would not use this product because of them.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
A lot of people save themselves the time, energy, and money of dealing with a product's "results" by knowing what ingredients their hair likes. My hair doesn't do well with mineral oil or petrolatum (however it's spelled) so I avoid products with those ingredients--therefore avoiding wasting my money. It's more common sense than being a "go hard natural". lol
lol ooooh okay i see. So how do you know your hair doenst like it? Does your hair get dry,tangle, or do you just know when the product is not working? Im a little new obviously lol
Originally Posted by QuincieGrant
You'll know. My hair rarely, if ever tangles--that's a clue. Or, it gets frizzy and greasy at the same time. FRIZZ!!. Things like that.

I usually judge according to the effects of a product on my hair. However, when the effects are bad I make a mental note of the potential culprits and avoid them in the future .
If my hair doesn't like an ingredient(s) it usually gets really limp or doesn't wave at all.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Great thread, ladies. Lots of good advice for our new member; thank you!
Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!
Sometimes, it's a process of elimination. I figured out my hair does not like glycerin, when I kept seeing a bad reaction to products with glycerin high on the list, and a great reaction to products without ANY glycerin. Granted, it took trial and error, but I now look to avoid glycerin. I saw some Carol's Daughter stuff at ULTA and avoided it. Mucho glycerin. But that's cause some hair types THRIVE with glycerin, so she must be targeting such hair.

I also like protein (just not too much), so I buy both a lot of products WITh protein, and some without so I can scale back when I feel over-proteined. It's just a learning process.

I don't mind some amodimethicone, but cause I like to use the gentler lowpoos and occasional nopoos, it's best to avoid hardcore 'cones unless I do my occasional blow-outs, when cones are wondrous to extend a blowout for 8 to 11 days of smooth, no fuss, wake-up perfect hair.

Also, I am easily weighed down by straight oils, so my experiments with butter and oils was a downer. I just don't really need oils, even with really dry hair. And mineral oil: ugh. I gotta avoid that.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
How long did it take you to figure out specific ingredients that your hair loves/hates? I've acquired such an arsenal of products in the last few months, I was actually thinking of making a spreadsheet with the ingredients of each product to try and figure out my hair's preferences.

So, what are the common culprits in cg products, other than glycerin and protein? Obviously no cones.

Originally Posted by Carpool Curly
I don't know...at least 6 months. Part of it was seeing what other folks with my hair type (porosity, texture, elasticity) were enjoying, not enjoying. Sometimes, just noticing a trend.

I think sometimes we sensitive types may not even figure out what makes us itch/scratch/break out, but we have to try it to learn.

Nothing I can add other than noticing common ingredients in what's YAY and what's NAY...a spreadsheet might be genius (if ya have the patience).

Also, for some, needs change with the seasons. I need more protein in summer. Just so happens. I need more moisture when it's dry (ie, more leave-in).

Several ladies report problems (allergic) to, um, propylene glycol? Am I typing that right?

I don't like super crunchy hair (I need my hubby to be able to touch it and enjoy it, ya know?), so PVP high up (that stuff in so many harder hold gels) can be an issue for me, aesthetically.

I forget which ingredient is drying that's in AG RE:coil, a product i love. I have to take breaks from it and use lots of leave-in before applying. But it's been discussed in the forum.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Last edited by MirCurls; 04-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Great thread!! After getting similar results from a few different products, I've come to realize that I need to steer clear of styling products containing GLYCERIN and potentially HONEY, but definitely Glycerin.

I emphasize "styling products" because of a recent failure in using the Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner as a wash-n-go styler. Hair looked great initially and then morphed into a boofy mess. I used this same product in the manner that you are "supposed" to use it, as a rinse out conditioner and its AWESOME! I will repurchase it specifically as an amazing detangling rinse out conditioner.

I used something, I can't recall, for a braid out back in the Fall and when I took the braids down, the initial braidout was great, but it morphed into a boofy mess. I took to these boards and someone pointed out that it could be the Glycerin in the product I used as my styler. Until then, I'd never paid much attention to ingredients as I'm not a follower of the CG or any particular method to the letter, but thanks to shared experiences and curlies who know their sh*t here on these boards and my repeat results over the course of the past few months using different products, I now look for products that do not contain Glycerin; if its really low on the ingredient list, I MIGHT consider it but for me its better safe than sorry! I think it took 3 times (and 3 different products) for me to come to this conclusion about Glycerin. So don't feel stressed about needing to recognize these types of things right off the bat as its really a process of elimination especially for those of us who layer their products.
  • Oils: EVOO,Watermelon Seed,Argan, Coconut
  • Cleanse: CD Monoi Repairing Shampoo, Soultanicals Honey I Shrunk the Frizz Poo Bar
  • Detangle/RO: Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling Slip
  • LI: DB Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
  • DC: Crece Pelo,MJ Super Sweetback
  • PT: CJ Repair Me,Smooth Naturals Strengthen
  • Style: CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel, CRN Almond Jai Twist Butter, WetLine Xtreme Gel,Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • Moisturize: DN Whipped Amla Frosting,CoN Argan Oil Perfect 7
Great advice and info from everyone!

I do think you can keep your self sometimes from something that could work well. Recently I tried the Suave almond and shea butter in place of my Tresemme naturals and loved.....the results. I then read it contains a water soluble cone.

Guess what? I am not throwing out the baby with the bath water. I love the results.

I am however, using a loo-poo to get rid of any build-up. I did this everyweek anyway.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
Here on NC, mineral oil is generally a no-no, but on another site it is recommended - just a few drops applied over the length while still wet or damp, so long story short, I tried it and I love it!

I've given up using LI conditioner and gel, and I'm using just 8 to 12 drops of mineral oil before I plop. My hair is better than ever.

I'm not sure how it will hold up when the weather here gets humid - we shall see.

I'm one of those people that aren't to cautious of certain ingredients; the reason being is because my hair doesn't necessarily like 100% natural products. Natural ingredients my hair loves: anything with sheabutter, mango butter and olive oil. I can tolerate some cones and some sulfates. All in all, I just use what I know works for me and my hair.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

Still loving my curls and kinks!
Products I love:
Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Amazinnatural

I'm the same way. I have very few absolute taboo ingredients. My hair seems pretty agreeable with most ingredients. The plus side is I have very few bad hair days. But I also have very few wow hair day too. My hair looks pretty consistent from one day to the next, almost completely regardless of what products I use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
When it comes to my hair, I'm weary of anything that might be drying. I have low-porosity, somewhat coarse, Sahara Desert hair so I need moisture desperately and can't risk losing it. I need lots of oils and butters -- no "lightweight" products here, haha! and I have to avoid silicones and mineral oil, because they coat my hair and lock out moisture (I know, I could low-poo but that also dries my hair/scalp out) even more than my hair does by itself. So for me it's not a "natural product" thing, it's a cone-free thing. My beloved TIGI serum is far from "natural" LOL my hair is ok with the chemicals, just no silicones!
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
I'm still figuring out my hair but I can deal with one it two chemicals in a product depending on what it is.
If it makes my scalp itchy, my hair coated, crunchy. That's how I generally know it sucks. If dang near the whole list is silicones or at the top of the list I don't use it. My hair loves moisture so stuff like mineral oil, petroleum, cones etc don't do for me. Or if I use it I do it for sealing/finishing.
I also stay away from alcohols.
My hair likes glycerin, honey and I add it to everything I make for my hair it scalp

from Sugarfoot's chew toy
Who's My Hair?
3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
BC- May 16, 2010
Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
LUVVV my natural hair!!!
Well i am still transitioning and i have 3c hair and came to find out my hair is not all into natural products except for the raw shea butter and olive oil i use after co-washing. I found that out of all the products i used from the ethnic aisle at CVS,my hair loves tresemme curl hydration conditioner i never felt my hair so soft and i could actually run a comb through it without a figtt . But i was mad that i spent 100 dollars in the past 3 months buying these expensive products and i end up at walmart with a 5 dollar bottle of tresemme. lol