-   -   oils for African american hair (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/144285-oils-african-american-hair.html)

kanora 05-07-2012 02:54 PM

oils for African american hair

Hi, I am thinking of buying a healthy oil for my hair , I am trying to buy organic, here is a list of some oils. If anybody tried these can you please tell me which one(s) you tried , how does it work for your hair and any additional information . thanks

Shea oil
Jojoba
Rose Hip Oil
:wav:

coconilla 05-08-2012 12:00 PM

Olive oil is my favourite. My hair isn't as good as it could be, but its much better than before, and I think the olive oil helped a lot with that. It helps tame my crazy frizzy hair... trust me, NOBODY has frizz as bad as mine, but olive oil helps me a little.
My hair just feels stronger now and is much healthier than its ever been which is probably more of a priority than frizz.

Anyway, all these oils, might work for one but not for another, coconut oil for example- I had heard so much about it, people saying it did wonders for their hair, I tried it and I swear it dried my hair and made it feel really bad.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using CurlTalk App

Afrotastic 05-08-2012 12:11 PM

I like coconut oil when my hair is in twists, but that's about all I use it for. It's really heavy.
Grapeseed is really lightweight and a great heat protectant! I use it whenever I straighten my hair at home. Just put a small amount on while your hair is still damp and comb it through.
I know you didnt mention apricot oil but I like that too. It's also a good heat protectant but is heavier than grapeseed is. It's also good for your skin because it has great anti-aging properties.
Not a huge fan of olive oil personally. I dont like the smell too much and it it's pretty heavy like coconut oil. I would only use it on twists but the smell is kinda nasty. Good for hot oil treatments though.

Hope I could help! :)

Afrotastic 05-08-2012 12:12 PM

Oh! And I use jojoba on my scalp a lot. Sometimes I will mix it with tea tree oil for when my scalp is irritated.

kanora 05-08-2012 01:36 PM

thank you for your replies:love5: i forgot to add this I am looking for more of a light weight oil

Jo Somebody 05-08-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by kanora (Post 1949722)

Then jojoba I'd say. It's the least oily oil I've used! Almost feels dry, if that makes sense.

Jo Somebody 05-08-2012 09:41 PM

I love this site and learn a lot from it - Vegetable Oils
Go through the list and look for oils described as 'light' as well as the other properties you might want e.g. odourless, anti-oxidant, noncomedogenic (sp?) etc.

kanora 05-09-2012 12:54 PM