oils for African american hair

Hi, I am thinking of buying a healthy oil for my hair , I am trying to buy organic, here is a list of some oils. If anybody tried these can you please tell me which one(s) you tried , how does it work for your hair and any additional information . thanks

Shea oil
Sesame Oil
Sunflower Oil
Jojoba
Rose Hip Oil
Olive oil is my favourite. My hair isn't as good as it could be, but its much better than before, and I think the olive oil helped a lot with that. It helps tame my crazy frizzy hair... trust me, NOBODY has frizz as bad as mine, but olive oil helps me a little.
My hair just feels stronger now and is much healthier than its ever been which is probably more of a priority than frizz.

Anyway, all these oils, might work for one but not for another, coconut oil for example- I had heard so much about it, people saying it did wonders for their hair, I tried it and I swear it dried my hair and made it feel really bad.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using CurlTalk App
I like coconut oil when my hair is in twists, but that's about all I use it for. It's really heavy.
Grapeseed is really lightweight and a great heat protectant! I use it whenever I straighten my hair at home. Just put a small amount on while your hair is still damp and comb it through.
I know you didnt mention apricot oil but I like that too. It's also a good heat protectant but is heavier than grapeseed is. It's also good for your skin because it has great anti-aging properties.
Not a huge fan of olive oil personally. I dont like the smell too much and it it's pretty heavy like coconut oil. I would only use it on twists but the smell is kinda nasty. Good for hot oil treatments though.

Hope I could help!
Oh! And I use jojoba on my scalp a lot. Sometimes I will mix it with tea tree oil for when my scalp is irritated.
thank you for your replies i forgot to add this I am looking for more of a light weight oil

Last edited by kanora; 05-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Originally Posted by kanora
Then jojoba I'd say. It's the least oily oil I've used! Almost feels dry, if that makes sense.
My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse.

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with!
I love this site and learn a lot from it - Vegetable Oils
Go through the list and look for oils described as 'light' as well as the other properties you might want e.g. odourless, anti-oxidant, noncomedogenic (sp?) etc.
My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse.