Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #1

lag28wa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Default Buried Under the Avalanche! Help?

Alright, I have only been doing CG for a couple weeks now. I did all my research and read the labels of everything I owned and did a clarifying sulfate wash. I used Deva Curl One C as a rinse out and leave in and then the Deva Care Arc AnGEL. I got results that were better than anything I'd tried pre-CG but I had ordered a bunch of products I was awaiting. While I was waiting I kept up with a CO wash with the OneC and used only the AnGEL. BUT I was a bad girl and did a day or two of using a few spritzed of hairspray that has cyclopentasiloxane. Anyways. After about 6 days I got the itchies. I don't know if that's normal to get while you're adjusting to CG or I've got something going on. Usually loads of cones in my old styler gave me the itchies real bad. I wouldn't think that the small amounts of the hairspray would give enough build up to make me itchy so fast?

So I did a low poo cleanse and started over. I've been working in new products and I like some of them and some I'm not sure about.

What I can't tell is how to tell if other ingredients are bothering me, like glycerin or polyquats giving me problems or over conditioning. I just know when my hair is angry because the curls turn to kinks and waves and half curls and is frizzier.

I also don't know how to tell if my hair needs PT or DT.

These products are what I currently own:
CJ Pattern Pusha
CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner
CJ Beauticurls Argon and Olive oil conditioner
Curl Keeper
Deva Curl Set It Free
Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in
Curls Goddess Curls.

Also wondering if you ladies use just any conditioner as a leave in or do you have something you specifically use as a leave in? I've been using the same conditioner as a rinse out and a leave in.

Any tips on all of that?
lag28wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #2

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

One of the best things you can do is determine your hair properties. Here's a link to help Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, you can look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.)

I have lots of allergies and can't use some of the products that have been popular during my time on nc.com (CK, Shea M leave in, anything Bioterra.) Your issues could be any ingredient. It takes time to get to know what your hair likes and doesn't like. Sometimes you can narrow down the problem ingredient and sometimes you can't.

Many of us start out with Deva and think we like it, then more on to other things. They did a major ingredient change a few years ago, so many of those who loved it couldn't use it anymore.

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique type companies. Like many, I rotate products, seldom using any one product more then once every five days. I'm "picky" about my styling products and how I combine them. While I have many rinse out conditioners, I'm not as "picky" about what I choose each day because I am rinsing it out.

Fine and porous hair usually love protein, coarse hair does not. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. Because I use really rich products on a regular basis, I never need to DT.

Only products on your list that I use are the CJ Daily Fix and Argan & OO conditioner.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote