Strongest Gel

• 1 Post By lazyloops
  • 1 Post By kimmidawn
  • 1 Post By timbright59

Is there anything stronger than Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee?
I'm especially interested in hearing from non-porous 2s with limp locks like mine.

P.S. I don't mind having to SOTC. I expect it. But I won't give up shine or tolerate frizz for more hold.
kimmidawn likes this.
CG since 5/2010 Intro

Last edited by Nats_mom; 05-15-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: p.s.
Got 2 b has sone pretty strong gels. The spiked up, and the glue are strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
Hmmmm........the glue, huh?

I just tried LA Looks power spikes. It's green, and the smell is decent. Not much crunch for the hold it gives. I'd rate it four out of five superglued fingers.

Last edited by claudine19; 05-16-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: wrong color
I second the LA Looks Power Spikes. I think it is underrated. I'm a low porosity curly though. I love hard hold gels and use this one alot. It's glycerin free too! Not crazy about the scent though.
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
Hmmmm........the glue, huh?

I just tried LA Looks power spikes. It's yellow, and the smell is decent. Not much crunch for the hold it gives. I'd rate it four out of five superglued fingers.
Originally Posted by claudine19
Lol, I like your rating scale...so on your scale, where would you rate BRHG at?
Nats_mom likes this.
2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
There's a product that was VERY popular my first summer on the boards, it's by Paul Brown Hawaii and it's called Gelatine Goo. It's hard to find the ingredients. The links in the thread didn't work last time I tried them. Paul Brown Hawaii Hair Products

We had rain all day yesterday. I don't usually use gel over my jelly product, but I did use a little goo yesterday. My hair got wet when I walked from the car to my destination. It dried with no frizz, just flatter on top. I'm over due for a haircut, so that could have accounted for some of that.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams

Originally Posted by kathymack
I found it for sale on aveyou.com but no ingredient list.I may have to try a tube when I order next.

Paul Brown Hawaii Gelatine Goo, 6 oz.

Kerri

2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010

Originally Posted by claudine19
Lol, I like your rating scale...so on your scale, where would you rate BRHG at?
Originally Posted by kimmidawn
I don't remember liking it; I think I swapped or sold it pretty quick.

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
LA Looks Sport Gel has the most hold for me. The Power Spike and other #10 hold LA Looks gels are similar but I don't like the smell of them as well so I always go back to the Sport Gel.
I didn't find the BRHG and other hard hold gels to have any better hold than LA Looks and they all cost more so again, back to LA Looks.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

Last edited by jeepcurlygurl; 05-16-2012 at 11:12 AM.
The first time I used BRHG I thought it was an 8 out of 10. The second time (today), I used a little more of it, and I waited until my hair was a little less soaking-wet. The result: I'm a little too-producty. I've got an awful glop on my scalp that I failed to work into my hair. I need to work on my technique a bit.

But hey, I got TWO compliments on my hair today. One person touched my hair and said "love the ringlets". Me? Ringlets?! Where?!? I almost ran to the nearest bathroom to look for them. Surely they are mistaken.
CG since 5/2010 Intro

You have ringlets in your avvie!

I can see them on the right side (meaning your left, irl).

Btw, I'm trying the Got2B glue tomorrow. Will report back.

(Bear in mind that I use hard hold gel for my semi-classic 70s shag, not to hold curls. I need hold that lasts on my crown, so that's what I judge by, in case this makes a difference to anyone reading in re: her choice of products.)

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
Btw, I'm trying the Got2B glue tomorrow. Will report back.
Originally Posted by claudine19
Well? How is it? I looked at the glue at Ulta the other day. It felt like honey mixed with dehydrated tooth paste, when I touched it with my fingers. Very sticky. I can't imagine it wouldn't be easy to distribute in ones hair. I also imagined it drying sticky and re-positionable. If my imagination is correct, then I'd just end up with elongated, tacky clumps. I'm eager to hear what you thought of it.

No idea why my avatar is missing.
CG since 5/2010 Intro

I think that Eco Styler is the heaviest gel I have used.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.