Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

kolochita's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Question Best Leave-in or Deep Conditioner recommendations?

I'm looking for a new conditioner (I was using one of The Body Shop's Rainforest line conditioners and it's running out), either a leave-in or a deep conditioner or even a conditioner I could double as a daily and a deep conditioner. I have healthy, 3A curls but would like extra conditioning...what are the best ones you would recommend?
kolochita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

poemaXX's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

I like using Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner for moisture and their GBP conditioner for protein, depending on how my hair is lookin'. I use them as rinse-outs or as deep treatments and absolutely love them! You can get it online (I get mine on vitacost.com) or on the ground (try Whole Foods or The Vitamin Shoppe). HTH!
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 ||

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month; Leave-in OH Hair Dew; Cleansing Conditioner Giovanni TTTT. Just three!
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil; Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR; Style AOMMJ. Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers.
Propylene Glycol Sensitive - Itchy scalp? Facial Irritation? This might be why!
poemaXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

Join Date: Sep 2011

How was the body shop conditioner? Its under my cabinet next in line for me to use.
mcheryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

kolochita's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012

It was not bad, I've used the Moisture one (with honey) and the Volume one, they both smell divine. I've used the volume one as a leave-in (besides using it as a regular conditioner) and helps a bit with the frizz. The moisture one ran out before I started going curly again, so I couldn't try it as a leave-in, but as a regular it was nice.
kolochita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #5

monipearl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Default curl junkie smoothing lotion

i am in love with this leave-in. i just started using it and it is oh-so-moisturizing. three days later and my hair is still soft and moisturized.

it is quite thick for a leave-in but doesn't weigh down my hair at all. only drawbacks are the price and online-only availability.
rbb and aislin like this.
3c-4b. probably.
medium/coarse texture.
(extremely)high density.
low porosity, normal elasticity.
co-wash: suave naturals daily clarifying condish with drops of rosemary oil.
detangling conditioner: tresemme naturals.
deep conditioner: curly kinks curlycue renew, b.a.s.k. cacao bark, honey/evoo.
monipearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I started out loving the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHR) conditioner, but after awhile my hair built up a tolerance to it or something, because it hated it. It started feeling greasy to me, and the smell got to be cloying. I felt like it was waxy and not moisturizing. It also has alot of protein in it.

Two conditioners I've been able to use over long periods of time and not build up a "tolerance" to are Yes to Cucumbers as a daily RO conditioner (and I can use it as a LI once in a while too), and my absolute favorite as a LI, Donna Marie Miracle Conditioner & Detangler.

The Donna Marie is not sold as a LI, it's sold as a multipurpose RO but it is so light that I use it exclusively as a LI with no problem, although I've used it as a RO too.
I also use it to style my 2nd day hair and that's where I get the best use out of it, it's amazing. I take a small amount in my palms with a tiny splash of water, and gently style my 2nd day curls. If I do this patiently with my Donna Marie condish, I get beautiful, frizz free curls. I can sometimes get 3rd day curls if I styled my hair well the 1st day

Yes to Cucumbers is available in most drugstores, Target, and at Ulta. Donna Marie you have to buy online, at AveYou or direct from Donna Marie's website. It's not to highly priced at $12 for an 8oz bottle.

I like both of these because they are very moisturizing without being very heavy and do not weigh my curls down.

I do have very dry hair, but I think I well moisturized in spite of that. For deep conditioning, I use a pre-wash treatment once a month. I use Ojon's prewash treatment, and it's oil-rich. I leave it on for 2 hours on a weekend morning while I clean or do other things.

When I want to use a normal deep conditioner, I use Sally's GVP. I usually just rotate that in whenever I feel the need for a little extra conditioning, or after I've done an ACV, about once a week. For my hair, Sally's GVP can be used as a multipurpose daily RO/DT/LI because my hair likes richness and won't get overconditioned, but the trick is also that I have a good rotation of other products.

BTW, I see the board is still being wonky. I had to edit to get my actual post up.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Last edited by Auntie Bubbs; 06-12-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: The board is not posting people's initial posts.
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Originally Posted by mcheryce View Post
If you are going CG, you may want to check the ingredients list to see if they have silicones. If they have silicones, and you are avoiding 'cones, then these aren't the conditioners for you
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I agree w/ Auntie Bubbs, Yes to Cucumbers is a great daily conditioner. Not too heavy or light. Most daily conditioners can also be used as a leave-in but may not be able to double as a deep conditioner.

The CJ Smoothing Lotion is very moisturizing and can easily double as a daily conditioner. I sometimes use CJ Curl Rehab as a daily as well as a deep conditioner.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #9

kinkycurlyDT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010

Best leave in conditioner I've ever used by far is the kimmaytube recipe. I use kinky curly knot today as the base with the main ingredients of aloe Vera juice, and castor oil. Works wonderfully for my hair! I also loooove tresemme naturals conditioner!
kinkycurlyDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

Join Date: Apr 2011

One of my favorites as both rinse out and leave is Jessicurl Too Shea (Aloeba is nice too, lighter, so I only use it as a leave in).

Also love Karen's Body Beautiful Ambrosia, Nectar and Super Silky, tried Ambrosia as a rinse out and it worked well, haven't tried the other 2 like that yet, but think they would be fine too.

Kyra's Ultimate Indulgence has Shea Leave in which I love as a rinse out and leave in. It's the same base as Jasmine's Shea Butter Rinse was, and Ingredientstodiefor.com sells the base, and I could get a big size there, but I like it from Kyra's, love the scent selection, and it's inexpensive anyway, service is good and shipping is cheap and fast.

Alba Botanica Leave in is amazing (the one in the yellow tube in case there are other kinds I'm not aware of), and Alaffia Beautiful Curls Leave In is very nice too (I only tried wavy to curly one so far). MOP Leave In is another very good one that can be gotten on the ground (not to be confused with Mop Top brand, that leave in I really didn't like).

Purabody Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milk is great, I love it under butters especially, particularly Purabody's butters. Super detangling, lightweight, and very moisturizing.

Looove Brown Butter Beauty Sweet Milk Detangling Leave in. Also Camille Rose Curl Love Moisture Milk, and BASK Silk & Honey Latte. As well as Tiiva Naturals Green Tea Leave In Moisturizer, Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave in, and Donna Marie Miracle Detangler (as rinse out and leave in) and Hair Whip.

I don't dc, but have some dc's which I use as regular conditioners, don't leave in for longer than 5-7 minutes and they still work magic. One is Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream, other is Mixed Chicks dc. Hairveda Moisture Pro is not a dc, but is incredible and makes my hair feel and look transformed (it's a protein conditioner, my hair loves protein, and this is the best I found, like it way better than Curl Junkie's Repair). Love Camille Rose Moisture Max Conditioner (which is much more moisturizing (in my experience) than the dc from that line), and Purabody Naturals Chocolate Smoothie too. Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks and Darcy's Botanicals Deep Conditioner are pretty nice. I know I left 'not that impressed' reviews for both a while back, but been trying them again, and either it's the weather change or whatever I used afterwards, but I like them much more now.

ETA: Organicals Deep Conditioner from ingredientstodiefor.com and Hydra Moist Leave in from mynaturalcare.com. Organicals dc is mentioned often enough, but that leave in is very underrated, I only seen 1 or 2 reviews online. It's one of the most moisturizing yet not heavy leave ins I ever came across. First time I used it was with Thermal Shine Oil on top (from the same line), and couldn't even believe something this unknown could be this awesome. One thing I wasn't a fan of was the scent, but someone else might like it, it's not a bad one, just not my kind of scent (love how oil and the butters smell though), and since I got my bottle the site and the bottle look have been revamped, so maybe scent has been too.
3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl

Last edited by lapluie; 06-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.
blulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #11

sweetkitkat45's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012

Argan oil leave in conditioner is amazing. I use it for my deep condition as well

Sent from my SGH-T989 using CurlTalk App
come along with my hair journey with me http://cupcakehair.blogspot.com/
sweetkitkat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

any and all of the curl junkie conditioners/deep treatments.

you can use the deep treatments as leave ins, also (except for the protein treatment, repair me, that has to be rinsed out!, but that is protein, not a conditioner treatment, altho it is very moisturizing.)
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #13

Join Date: Jul 2012

When my hair seems on the dry side, I like Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm (GVP CB) from Sally's. It's a generic version of Biolage Conditioning Balm. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have protein, but I could be wrong. If you want regular conditioning, leave it on for 3 mins or less. For deep conditioning, leave on up to an hour or more. The max I've done is maybe 20 mins, but my hair feels like silk afterward. I've heard of people using it as a leave-in with good results, but I have always suspected it would be too heavy for me.
kristen.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

Join Date: May 2012

I love 3 Minute Miracle by Aussie. I use it once a week. It leaves my curls soft and shiny. Plus it doesn't weigh them down!

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
katokailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #15

Join Date: Sep 2011

Organicals deep conditioning creme is the bomb dot com for me :-) I can use it as a DC, LI, and rinse out. I can also buy 7lbs of the stuff for only 50 bucks and I can add whatever scent I want since it comes unscented. I order it from ingredients go die for. The shopping can be pricey on the smaller containers but is actually pretty awesome with the large container :-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
3b 1/2, Fine, Porous.
Lower Back length w/ layers
CG off and on for 3 years
Cowash: AsIAm coconut co-wash
Condish:Organicals Deep Conditioning Creme(New HG )
Deep Condish: Organicals DCC, CJ Repair Me!
Leave-in: Organicals DCC, DB pumpkin seed, CJ smoothing lotion
Gel: Naturelle Volumax (summer love), Bioterra, CurlyKinks Coil Jam
Creams: DM Dream curling creme(HG), AG:Recoil, BeeMine curly butter, Organicals DCC
Other: Curl Keeper(HG), CJ CIAB(HG)
TheAmazingFrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #16

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Leave-Ins: Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream, Satin Roots, CJ Curl Fix, Camille Rose Soylicious, Satin Roots by Curly Kinks

Conditioners: Curl Junkie, Sevi, Curl Renew, Jessicurl WDT
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #17

Join Date: Aug 2012

my favorite deep conditioner is the ors replenishing conditioner <3 <3 <3 it's been my staple for years
this is my review of the product overall:
Importance of deep conditioning... ORS Replenishing Conditioner - YouTube

for my leave in i do the kimmaytube recipe but i use
rose water
sheamoisture conditioner
aloe vera gel
and any oil of my choice usually either...
coconut or castor oil

the sheamoisuture line is usually a hit of miss these are the few leave in and conditioners i have tried :
Introduction to YouTube!!!.. SheaMoisture Review - YouTube

hope this helps happy hair journey!!!
minimisshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #18

Join Date: Aug 2008

I like the Garnier leave-in. And it's cheap - on sale sometimes for around $3. I used regular rinse-out conditioner, blot with towel and then use the leave-in.
sdkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #19

Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Treatment ?

Anyone used this before? It has argan oil in it, which I've heard great things about. I've seen it in the drugstore and have been tempted, but wanted to hear from you all first.
shopbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #20

Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Tried Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner

I used the Aussie 3 minute miracle deep conditioner and I'm not happy with the results. I am so disappointed because it got so many great reviews here. My hair is still dry and frizzy. Should I maybe try it with a shower cap on and leave it in longer than the 3 minutes? Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated!!
shopbop is offline   Reply With Quote