Better than KCCC

Have you guys found anything better than KCCC? Cheaper maybe? I love the fact that it is a natural product that actually works but the only thing I don't like is the price because I have long and thick hair and usually go through it fairly fast!
To be honest, I really hate both KCKT and KCCC. Neither product does anything for me. KCCC in particular makes my hair crunchy, stringy and brittle. When I use both products together my hair feels dry and straw-like. I don't get plump, nice curls, I get top-ramen noodle-like curls and it's not attractive.

I have heard that a product that works similarly to KCCC would be Queen Helene Royal Curl Jelly. I have tried this, and the consistency of the Queen Helene is very similar to KCCC - its a thick, gloppy jelly. I've used it and my hair likes it ok, I get clumpier curls than I do with the KCCC. I find it a little more drying than my regular everyday styler (I use FSG), but not as drying as KCCC.
I find Queen Helene in my local health food store, so I'm sure you can find it in yours or in Whole Foods. It is very inexpensive at $5.99 for a large pot (I think its 10oz?) and that's a good deal cheaper than KCCC.

The cheapest option, and what works best for me, is to make your own Flax Seed Gel (FSG) and put whatever natural ingredients you want in that. I put my own oils, humectants, curl enhancers, etc. in my FSG and the consistency is very similar to KCCC. The cost is a fraction of what it costs to buy KCCC. Once you buy the ingredients, they last for ages and you can make many batches of gel from your initial purchase of ingredients.
But if making your own gel is not your thing, I'd recommend trying the Queen Helene Jelly For added moisture, use a LI before you apply your jelly.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
I've actually made fsg and liked it for the most part. I wish it had more hold though. What kinds of things do you add to yours and do you put anything else in your hair or just the fsg?
I stopped using KCCC for a long time. I liked their TT Moisturizing Styler better. There are a lot of jelly products, I like better than those, too. Most are listed in my signature. I find that I have to rotate products to get them to work. I seldom let myself use any one product more then once every five days.

It also depends what you put under your products. I started using KCCC again with CK Curlycue ReNew--get great hair and lots of compliments when I do. It's a great combo for me.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
Originally Posted by freeandcurly
Well, everyone's hair is different as far as additives go, and you have to play around with them to see what your hair likes. You can put magnesium sulfate for curl enhancement, that is my favorite additive, but some people find it drying. I don't and I have dry hair. But it doesn't need alot added to be effective. You can add oil for moisture. Honey or agave as a humectant. Aloe vera and/or glycerin for frizz control. The possibilities are endless.

I use a hard hold gel over all my styling products, whether I'm using FSG, or another styler, because I need something to help my hair hold it's curl pattern without descending into a frizz pouf. I have a strong spiral curl pattern, but it has a strong tendency to frizz and I want it to spiral and not frizz. If a use a hard hold gel and then scrunch out the crunch when it's dry, I get really nice bouncy curls a la Shirley Temple I like that.

My favorite hard hold gel is Aussie Instant Freeze. Which does not have glycerin in it. When I make my FSG, I put glycerin in that. I get the nicest curls when my FSG has glycerin but my 2nd gel does not - when both my gels have glycerin, it tends to be too much and I get flakes, plus my hair takes an age to dry.
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Originally Posted by kathymack
You are using the reNew as a leave in under KCCC?
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI, Andalou naturals -GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, CJPP, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
You are using the reNew as a leave in under KCCC?
Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls