AO Rosa Mosqueta Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner

• 1 Post By TriniCherryP

I bought the 2 oz. sample size of these two Aubrey Organics products online, choosing them because they are suggested for color-treated hair.

My first impression of the shampoo was "OMG Roses!" I wasn't surprised that the shampoo smelled of rose (not my fav scent, fwiw), but that it was so *strongly* scented, IMO gaggingly strong. I've read other posters complaining of the strong scent of L'Oreal's EverCreme shampoos and conditioners... let me tell you, this is MUCH more strongly scented. After the initial shock of ROSE wore off I was relieved to detect other, more subtle aromas. Nevertheless, I won't be purchasing this product again, simply based on the aroma. My hair was a bit 'squeaky' clean, something that I associate with SLS shampoos.

The conditioner's scent was much less pungent, and more complex. It's a thick conditioner, and using a teaspoon or so on my short hair was adequate to cover. Upon rinsing it out I noted that my hair felt slightly 'squeaky' clean, versus using the L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner, or EverCreme Shampoo. I was surprised at that.

I was not happy with the results of using the AORM conditioner as a co-wash - my hair feels weighed down and is flat at the crown, in spite of using a mousse and clipping the roots. While I like the scent of the conditioner, I won't be using it as a daily, though perhaps will as a DC once in a while.

My verdict?

AO Rosa Mosqueta Shampoo: One star
AO Rosa Mosqueta Conditioner: Two stars

PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Experimenting with VO5 Kiwi-Lime for Condish styling, as well as looking for an affordable substitute for Deva FFVF.
Hi, can you describe your hair?
I was looking for something especially for color-treated hair and thought of the AORM products myself.
Sure. My hair is color damaged and short. I'm 2c/3a ATM, cut short in a layered cut. Hair on my crown is 4.5 inches. It seems to have enough protein (after looking at this page - The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com - , and stretch testing it), but dry.

It's curlier with humidity, definitely frizzes. With SLS shampoos the (permanent) color faded drastically over 5-6 weeks.

My hair is on the coarse side of normal, probably porous, and medium thickness.

Does that help?

PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

I have to agree with the one star rating for the shampoo - I haven't tried the condish. I hated the shampoo so much I didn't buy the condish

I didn't notice the smell so much on the shampoo, which is funny because i'm smell-sensitive, and I'm one of those people who complained alot about the L'Oreal scent.
But the RM poo gunked up my hair. I felt like it was heavy and gunky and didn't cleanse my hair. And I'm not one of these people who feel a poo needs sulfates to cleanse. I use a sulfate free shampoo (made by Sonoma Soap Company), alternated with cowashing, and use a sulfate poo by Trader Joe's for clarifying once a week or so. My TJ's poo has the sulfate low down on the list, so it's a gentle sulfate poo.
Anyway, my sulfate free poo has lots of other cleansing ingredients and lathers up, but not excessively so. I didn't like the RM poo because it felt like I was pouring oil and grease on my hair. It was just nasty.

For $10 a bottle, there are alot better, cleaner, fresher options. My poo from Sonoma Soap Company runs about $6-$9 depending on where you buy it. Whole Foods has others. Target has one or two even. I think Shea Moisture makes a nice sulfate free shampoo for around $8.

HTH

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

My hair is on the coarse side of normal, probably porous, and medium thickness.

Does that help?
Originally Posted by CurlyJulia
Yes it does, thanks!
Just a tip, if you're still looking. I like Aubrey Organics products. I read that Honeysuckle Rose is good for color-treated hair as well, even though it is for dry hair.
I plan to use Apple Cider Vinegar as a cleanser and someone said that it doesn't strip the hair of color and actually helps with shine.
Yes to Cucumber shampoo and conditioner is for color-treated hair as well. I just tried the condish and don't feel it does anything for my hair as a cowash or rinse-out. I do like it in a spritz or as a leave-in though so I'm debating keeping it or bringing it back and just getting AOHSR.
HTH!
I have to agree with the one star rating for the shampoo...
Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs
Thx, Auntie Bubbs. I was so overwhelmed by R*O*S*E* that I nixed it based on that alone... though I definitely didn't have the same experience you did with the 'poo. I thought it did an adequate job on my hair - but I don't use heavy LIs, so maybe that's the diff.
Funny thing about the smell! LOL
Originally Posted by TriniCherryP
I'm considering getting the Blue Camomile products, as I'm growing out my grey, and it's blue-ing qualities help with yellowing. I also got a sample of that 'poo, and like that one better. I'm thinking that I should just stay away from anything with 'rose' in the name. Reminds me of that horrid "Rose Milk" lotion that was so popular with elderly women in the 80s.
Originally Posted by TriniCherryP
ACV cleanses hair? I had no idea!
HTH!
Originally Posted by TriniCherryP
I look forward to hearing your experiences w/AOHSR! I'm going to pass on that one because of my sensitivity to the scent of roses. Funny thing - I love to smell the real thing!

PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Yes, ACV diluted with water can replace shampoo.
I will leave my thoughts on the AOHSR when I get some. I'm not a huge fan of rose scents in products either so I'm hoping it's not strong.
CurlyJulia likes this.
I love Yes to Cucumbers

Personally, I'm going to disagree with the statement "Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with water can replace shampoo."
It depends on what you want your shampoo "replacement" to do. Technically water can replace shampoo. It's the act of agitating your scalp to remove oils and debris that is "replacing" what shampoo does.
ACV is not strictly a cleanser. If you treat it as a replacement for a cleanser, you're going to be disappointed. What vinegar does is restore the balance of acid to the hair - some people do baking soda scrubs to restore PH balance as well. Both ACVs and baking soda scrubs are clarifiers, and they can help cleanse the scalp, but I personally would not say they replace shampoo.
Also, if you use ACV as regularly as you would use a shampoo, you are probably going to hate how your hair feels after a while, because most people would find ACV too drying if they used it more than once a week. So I would say it's not a shampoo replace based on that alone.
Not saying my opinion is the only right one, or that someone else can't disagree with me, but I would say do your own research on ACVs.

Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB

Last edited by Auntie Bubbs; 06-29-2012 at 08:51 PM.
I love Yes to Cucumbers

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs
Well, you're right about using ACV as a clarifier too often. If someone shampoos every other day then switching to ACV is not a good option! For those who clarify once or twice a month it is good. Thanks, I missed out some important points. Clay/mud can be used to cleanse hair too but I just choose ACV because I didn't like the clay and I read that they're comparable.
Absolutely Alot of curlies do shampoo (either low or no poo) every other day, it'd be bad for someone to use ACV rinses instead that often. My hair can take an ACV every week and it loves them, but I think my hair needs that restoration of acid. And my hair hates baking soda scrubs. It may have to do with climate, I'm on the coast.
What I do is an ACV about once a week or so, and follow that with a low poo. I read that procedure here on NC.com and tried it out myself, and it works for me. My low poo has a sulfate, low down on the ingredient list, and I consider it a gentle poo.

For me, an ACV rinse alone does not cleanse my hair, but it will perk up my curls and give them bounce and shine. When I combine my rinse with a low poo, I feel that does the cleansing nicely.