Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Thumbs up Knotty Boy Gel - a summer HG for me

Hi All

I wanted to bring your attention to a CG friendly gel that I love for the warmer seasons. It is Knotty Boy gel. I buy mine from Honey Fig. It lasts a long time - I still have my large jar from last summer. I keep it in the cold storage through the winter. I like a medium to firm gel in the higher dewpoints, but I find tells like BRHG way too strong for my hair. This product is a great compromise. Here is the link:
Honey Fig - Knotty Boy Locksteady Tropical Tightening Gel

The ingredients are:
100% Pure Aloe Vera, Certified Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Lime Essential Oil
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

Join Date: Apr 2011

Congrats on finding something that's HG status . Hope you are keeping it in the fridge though and keeping germs and water out, there's no preservative listed, and aloe vera and hemp seed oil can go bad fast.

PS, I know Grapefruit Extract is considered a preservative, but I think it's much too mild and insufficient.
3b/fine/thick/normal porosity/bsl

Last edited by blulight; 07-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.
blulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

Join Date: Sep 2007

I've actually had my first jar for over a year and have never kept it in the fridge. I did keep it in the cold storage over the winter when I don't use it. Otherwise, it is just in my cupboard....having said that though - my house is never hot.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #4

suns4i6e's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via AIM to suns4i6e Send a message via Yahoo to suns4i6e

Thank you for this. I'm always on the hunt for good CG stylers!
suns4i6e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

abstractcurls's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010

I found another list of ingredients for this gel on Lucky Vitamin do you know which is correct?

Aloe Barbensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Algin (Seaweed Gel Base), Sucrose, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp Seed) Oil, Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis) Extract (and) Glycerin (Grapefruit Seed Extract), Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Aqua and Hydrolysed Oat Protein, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Essential Oil
abstractcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

Hmmm, I would have thought that cold storage was the same as keeping something in the fridge. Is it not?

I will have to remember this gel. I love BRHG, but sometimes it just feels too sticky during application, so maybe this would be a nice change.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length. Modified CG since 5/2004; growing gray since 5/2007.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Originally Posted by abstractcurls View Post

I will check my jar and let you know. I just copied the list of ingredients from the Honeyfig site.

Originally Posted by Spiralli View Post

My cold storage is definitely cool but nowhere near as cold as my fridge. I also only keep it in the cold storage from Dec-Apr. the other months it is in my bathroom cupboard with all my other products. It is over at least a year old and is still fine. There is no sign of any mold or that it has gone bad. It looks and smells the same as the new jar I just got.

It is my favorite gel for this time of year. The BRHG is a good product but I find it too much for my hair. It stays wet looking and doesn't feel as soft when I use it.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

On my roots, I also get the wet look from BRHG. This ha sim proved since I've gone back to a form of very loose plopping.
Location: Texas