Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Best drugstore conditioners?

I'm a poor graduate student and my hair needs help! I'm on a tight budget and right now I'm using Vo5 Strawberries and Creme conditioner and a Loreal sulfate-free shampoo. I'd like to cut the shampoo out to see what happens but I'm very new to CG and I'm completely lost on what products to use. Most that I see on here are just out of my price range at the moment.

I've been reading to massage your scalp with a light conditioner then use a rich conditioner... but I don't know the difference!

Any drugstore recommendations please? Type 2B hair that is very thick and frizzy! Thank you!
danabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Join Date: Apr 2012

Well, if you weren't CG, I'd totally recommend Herbal Essences Hello Hydration! It's the best drugstore conditioner I think I've used, but it has a silicone.

For CG, you can wash your hair with the VO5 or try a Suave conditioner. Both are very popular cowashes. However, there is also L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner, and that has some pretty good reviews. Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner is another popular one that be used as the richer conditioner.

Sally's has some good stuff, too. They have GVP Conditioning Balm, which is supposed to be an excellent cowash, rinse out, and/or leave-in conditioner. It's pretty cheap and is a knock off of Biolage.

For conditioners, if you are going the organic route, Yes to Carrots and Shea Moisture are some nice brands, even though they are a little more expensive.

Also, if your hair is frizzy, I would recommend using a leave-in or styling product. Since you're a wavy, maybe mousse would work well. Again, if you don't mind the cones, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Cream Mousse is really good, and for only $3! For CG, Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse works well.

HTH!
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
dresdendoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3

Join Date: Jun 2012

Lots of people like suave and vo5 as RO's and LI's. Try it and see if it works for you. You can also use any pure oil and/or aloe vera gel as a LI and those are very cheap.

---
2c, F/M, ii, med porosity, good elasticity, APL, silvery dark brown.
Love coconut oil, olive oil, and Everyday Shea!
earthnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #4

Corrina777's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

The Suave Naturals and VO5 conditioners are great co-washes, especially the clarifying formulas. I wouldn't recommend either as a RO because neither are exceptionally moisturizing. Some people can use them for both co-wash and RO, but many people prefer something a bit richer. Tresemme Naturals are excellent for RO, especially the Nourishing Moisture formula. Your RO or co-wash can also double as a LI, so no need for additional product.

One of the previous posters also mentioned Sally's. Cure Care can be used as a co-wash or LI (wouldn't consider it rich enough for RO) and it's only about $8 for a one gallon jug. GVP conditioning balm is also great, but could be too rich for some people to use every time they cleanse their hair.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii Before the chop- Donated to Locks of Love, January 2013
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CO-WASH: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo
CLARIFY: CHS Treatment Shampoo (used prior to PT/DT)
RO: DevaCare One Condition, Regis Olive Oil
LI: Cure Care, As I Am Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Biotera Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, GVP Liquid Sculpting Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse
PT/DT: IAGirl's PT, One n' Only Argan Hydrating Mask
Corrina777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #5

Join Date: Dec 2011

I'm also a poor graduate student!
I hear ya on cheap products! I try not to spend over $8 on ANY hair product. Here's what I like:
True U sulfate free shampoo from Walmart ($4) despite what the label sys this does have a sulfate
in it (though its a milder one so I think of it as a low-poo).
V05 conditioners for co-washing (85 cents)
TREsemme Naturals moisture rich conditioner ($4) I find this to heavy for a co-wash but I use it as a RO after my low-poo every week to 2 weeks as needed.
L'oreal Eversleek conditioner ($5) as a daily LI (I don't use any other products in my hair).

So around $14ish total and the thing I replace the most would be the VO5 (only cause I tend to use it every 2 days). All the other bottles last as long as a semester (minus the LI which I replace every month to month and a half).
Puffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Beebop's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by Puffff View Post
I'm also a poor graduate student!
in it (though its a milder one so I think of it as a low-poo).
V05 conditioners for co-washing (85 cents)

+1 for the Tresemme Naturals with aloe and avocado conditioner! My daughter and I were using a much more expensive natural organic conditioner and going through it way too fast until we discovered Tresemme and reading about it for a while and we absolutely love it! It's as close to HG as I've ever found and it's only around 4.00$ for a large 28-32 oz. bottle. We only low poo once a week with Giovanni 3-in1 mango (at Target) and then leave a large pea size amount of this conditioner in after rinsing it out and then a very cheap mousse that is our HG is the Condition 3-in1 mousse at Walgreens or CVS on the bottom shelf for 2-3.00$. HTH! if you don't like them you can always return them. We also use a curl enhancer/moisturizer to help with frizz called Aubrey organics Mandarin Magic or AOMM here on NC.com. that I get the vitamin shoppe to order or buy at local store.
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.

Last edited by Beebop; 07-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Beebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #7

Myrna's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 1999

I use Cure Care for a RO! works for me.
Myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #8

Join Date: Jul 2012

Thanks for your help everyone! Almost all of you mentioned tresemme naturals so I'll give that a try!

I'm a little unclear on what RO means and I've checked some acronym threads but I'm still confused...is it rinse out?

Is this a good method?
Co-wash with Vo5 (meaning massage my scalp with this first right?)
Then use tresemme for the rest of my hair

Should I use both of these everyday or just one or the other?

For styling I use Paul Mitchell Quickslip, it's the only product I've tried that doesn't make my hair feel greasy or crunchy but I'll need to check if it has silicones...

Thank for all your help!
danabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

beeduh's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011

Cowashing is massaging your scalp with a light conditioner in replace of shampoo.

RO means rinse out. Tresemme Naturals makes a good RO.

Your routine is totally up to you. You can wash as often as you want to, depending on what your hair needs.

I don't always cowash. Sometimes I'll water rinse and then style my hair. I normally can't get second day hair.

As for your styling product, I'm not sure about it. If it has silicones in it, you might want to keep a low poo around in case of build up.
CG as of Feb. 2012
combination hair.
2c on top - low elasticity
3a&b scattered underneath - normal elasticity.
fine texture. thin density. A lot of it.
porosity: normal to high.
loves protein and moisture.
BSACV as needed.

products may vary. i'm a PJ.
loving Curl Junkie, Curly Kinks, and AS I Am.
beeduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #10

SmilingElephant's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010

You use a RO to detangle. I used to be confused about this too.

Some ROs can be used a leave ins as well.

Sent from my N860 using CurlTalk App
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein!

SmilingElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Join Date: Jul 2011

Before you begin CG, you need to do one final sulfate wash. This will remove any buildup from silicones or products you've used in the past. Be sure that the sulfate shampoo you use for this does not have any hidden cones.

Good luck!
My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Likes: Plopping!
Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it!