Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Best Drugstore Mousse?!?!?!

Hey everyone! So i currently use a gel for my curls but I was wondering if mousse would be better than gel? What do you guys like better and if so what is your favorite drugstore gel or mousse? I have 3a/3b hair And need a good amount of hold.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Join Date: Apr 2012

Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and Clariol 3-in-1 are supposed to be the best CG ones. If you aren't CG, I can tell you that Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Cream Mousse is AMAZING!
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
dresdendoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Join Date: Jun 2010

+1 for the condition 3 - in-1 mousse on bottom shelf at CVS & Walgreens! It's the best mousse I've ever used and I think I've tried almost every mousse on this website and then some! It also works great for my daughter who has bigger loopy voluminous curls, mine are smaller. I use to be a Paul Mitchell mousse user in the day of bigger hair but it doesn't seem to form and hold my curls like this does and this one helps with frizz as well. If you research this mousse on the web you will see a loyal following for many years of people that swear by it. It also holds our curl well on the beach in San Diego. HTH!
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #4

Join Date: May 2007

+2 for the Condition 3 in 1 mousse. I like the purple one. Dirt cheap too.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity
hmkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I went to Walgreen's yesterday and looked and looked and could not find that Clairol 3 in 1 mousse! I found the HE one but there were like 3 different HE mousses and I wasn't sure which one to get, LOL.

I'll try CVS instead. My Walgreens just has horrible selection.

On a different note, I really wanted to try a mousse today, so I tried one I had for ages, it was by MOP. Well, it STINKS!!! I hate it. My hair looks so bad, I have to pineapple it. My hair is brittle and dry and crunchy and looks horrid. I sure hope the other mousses don't look like this. If so, i'll be taking them back or swapping them asap!!!
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #6

Join Date: Jul 2012

Thanks so much I couldn't find the 3 n 1 one but I got the suave mousse and I LOVE it! I can't thank you enough for recommending it!
dresdendoll likes this.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #7

Join Date: May 2007

Originally Posted by Auntie Bubbs View Post

I'll try CVS instead. My Walgreens just has horrible selection.

It's sometimes hard to find. Try the bottom shelf at your supermarket. Or, if you ever order from drugstore.com, they have it too, you can just add it on to your order.
3a/medium texture/normal porosity
hmkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2010

OMG I had the PJ in me very much in control, as I've put myself on a budget for hair products. That being said, I think I will have to check out that Condition 3-in-1 because I LOVE mousse. I love gel as well, but when i want my hair bouncy and pretty to wear it out, i love mousse.

To add my 2 cents: I love Herbal essences totally twisted, and Sally's Beyond the Zone Noodle Head curly mousse I think i like the noodle head a bit more, and it smells amazeballs
CG since August 2010 and loving it
Currently loving: Giovanni's tea tree low 'poo(once a week), GVP Conditioning Balm or Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Conditioner, Honey DT's, Honey in my gel:P
Style: Gel Biosilk's Hardrock Gelee(my HG) OR Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Mousse or Alba Botanical Strong Hold Gel

Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

Originally Posted by ItsRainingCurlz View Post

Does Beyond the zone noodle head have cones in it? How is the hold?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Beebop:

No, the Noodle Head does not have any silicones in it. I'm CG an the hold is pretty good, I think I'd consider it a medium-strong hold, since it keeps my 3a/3b hair frizz free an doesn't give me any crunch at all . I did use it for a special occasion the other day and just layered pantene curls hair spray on top and my hair held the ENTIRE DAY AND NIGHT!

OAN- I got the 3-in-1 today! I didn't know if I should get the red (max hold) or blue (moisturizing) both are
Desirable! :O lol so I went for the maximum hold one, will report results for those wondering about it!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #11

Beebop:

The one we all use is the white can with purple max hold, unless they changed the color now and I just haven't seen it. Let me know how it compares to the Noodle head when you use it.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #12

Join Date: Apr 2012

I'd like to know how the two compare as well.
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #13

Originally Posted by ItsRainingCurlz View Post

Do you like the herbel essence totally twisted gel or mousse better?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Join Date: Jun 2010

I might have tried the gel a long time ago, but cannot for the life of me remember how I liked it lol but i guess that means it wasn't great results right?

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

I still haven't tried the3-in-1 completely alone, first time,I put it on at night, so when i woke up, my hair was slightly frizzy, and today, I wore my hair out, but i spritzed some Alba's hair spray on top, So I still need to experiment with the 3-in-1 by itself. So far, it is giving me the illusion that it doesn't have as much hold as I'd like, or as the Noodle head. Will report back later :P

PS - The COndition 3-in-1 that i got was the hot pink one, the max hold one (i guess that's what everyone's calling purple? is it purple )

Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #15

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

Mine is a white can with purple, the extra hold is pink and the purple is Max hold, definitely take it back and get the purple since I looked at the ingredients and they aren't the same and the pink wouldn't give me enough hold or control either by the looks of it.

I got the Beyond the Zone noodle head curly mousse today and my hair just finished drying and WOW! I got beautiful, clumped, bouncy spirals, no frizz. When I put my fingers in my crown area to loosen it up a bit I noticed it feels a little more producty ( maybe the glycerin) but didn't make me stringy at all. My hair has a heavier feel to it than my other mousse which makes my hair more fluffy or springier feeling and thinner feeling normally, (do I make any sense?) so this feels like it may have a stronger hold like a gel would.I have to say after my first use I like it as much ( or maybe more) than my HG condition 3-in-1 mousse. I couldn't resist trying it when you said it smells like coconut and I LURV mousse! The scent isn't very strong coconut, haven't had anyone smell my hair yet to see if they can smell it either. Doesn't smell as strong as my old Paul Mitchell conditioning mousse either. But if it continues to perform like this it's definitely a keeper, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #16

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

Now I'm really tempted!!! Is it this one?
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls View Post

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

Now I'm really tempted!!! Is it this one?
Yes thats it!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #18

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

OMG You're right, the pink one is Extra hold! lol I'll have to bring it back and get the purple one because this one is really not holding up . Silly me :P

So glad you tried Noodle Head, i really like it!, but I never said it smelled like coconut ? It does smell awesome, I'm always able to smell my own hair throught the day lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #19

as far as comparison between the condition 3-in1 and the noodle head:

Sorry, I read another review that said it smelled like coconut It definitely makes my hair feel thicker. Let me know how the purple can works out when you exchange it.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #20

kurlygurly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

I seem to get the best results with both gel and mousse. I like a liquidy-type gel instead of the thicker kind. No matter what brand i use i always go back to Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt. I like most mousses.....currently John Freida's Frizz Ease curl reviver is good......Nexxus mousse is moisturizing but it had a cone that i don't want so I've stopped using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
KentSupitayapor likes this.
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo