Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner

Why is it so expensive on the internet? When I saw the price I couldn't imagine spending that much for a TJ product but I went shopping yesterday and it was $3.99....not the $9.35 price. Although it shows $3.99 in CurlMart, the link sends you to Amazon's $9.35 price.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
3B/Medium density/Medium thickness/Medium porosity
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

Join Date: Dec 2011

Two reasons:
1) since this is over 13 ounces, it cannot be sent via first class mail, so the shipping cost is over $5.

2) Amazon takes a huge cut from third-party sellers, so they have to adjust their prices accordingly.

I have an ongoing arrangement with a curly here: since she doesn't have a Trader Joe's, I pick up 3 or 4 bottles at a time and ship them Priority Mail. She pays me the actual cost through Paypal. I can do the same for you, if you want.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using CurlTalk App
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
PT: SSI Okra; CJ Repair Me; BASK Whiskey Soak
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Join Date: Aug 2008

That's sweet of you....as I stated I went shopping and got one at the cheap price. I live right down the street from a TJ's. Thanks though. I was just curious about the HUGE price difference.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Auntie Bubbs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

Basically, online sellers at Amazon and Ebay can charge what they want. And yeah, they have to make up the fees online retailers charge them. And make up for shipping - esp. at Amazon, because Amazon only gives a seller a flat rate allowance for shipping that does not take weight into consideration. So a seller takes a loss on shipping for alot of products if they weigh over a certain amount (as conditioner does). For example, if you sell books, they only give you a credit of $2.99 for shipping, regardless of how much the book might weigh, or if the book is actuallly a set of books that have to be sold together (this happened to me on a set of books that weighed close to 10 lbs. I still only got a $2.99 credit for shipping, and those books cost me $15 to ship). So they mark it up to cover shipping. Ebay lets the seller set the shipping price, at least, but Amazon doesn't.
And they want to make a profit, of course. It seems ridiculous that all this turn's a $4 bottle of conditioner into a $10 bottle of conditioner, but I guess if one doesn't live near a Trader Joe's, then one is willing to pay that price. Consumerism at it's "best"!
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
Auntie Bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Join Date: Aug 2008

thanks for the clear explanation

Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Join Date: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by kurlygurly View Post
Oh, I misunderstood and thought you bought it from CurlMart! Glad you have access to TJ's - after moving to FL I didn't have one anymore, which was quite a bummer Fortunately, one just opened this year, so my son doesn't have to ship boxes of stuff from Philly anymore.

And +1 to Auntie Bubbs' comment on fixed shipping rates, which can really squeeze sellers for heavy items.
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

CurlyMJ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012

Question about this conditioner - is it used as a co-wash or a rinse out?
CurlyMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #8

Join Date: Aug 2008

I used it as a co-wash today but I've previously used it as a leave-in.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

CurlyMJ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012

Originally Posted by kurlygurly View Post
I used it as a co-wash today but I've previously used it as a leave-in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I'm looking for a cowash with a tingly feeling so would you say this was a good cowash or is there a better one with a minty tingly feeling?
CurlyMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #10

WavesnWheels's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012

I've used the Trader Joe's TTT as a cowash in the past, and thought it worked great even though it does not contain any ingredients that are particularly cleansing (its effectiveness was always a mystery to me). I believe it did tingle a bit, as it seems to contain a lot of eucalyptus. Since it contains protein, I've now switched to Giovanni TTTT, which tingles a little less, but seems to do just as good of a job at keeping the itchies at bay.
2B, normal porosity, elasticity, thickness, texture, moisture loving, protein leery...
Favorites:
WavesnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #11

mimismom's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010

This is my holy grail cowash conditioner. My hair feels clean and soft after using this stuff.
mimismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #12

rymorg2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006

Another one here who considers TJTT condish a hg co wash. It's one of my faves, even though like others have said, it's a mystery to me why it works.

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders