Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Ingredient Change

For those of you who use this and love it, beware they have changed the ingredients. I usually mix this with my thick gels to thin them. Here's a list of in case you're sensitive to any of the new stuff.

New ingredients:
Aqua, alcohol denat, (38b lavender), aloe barbadensis leaf juice, hydrolyzed guar, astragalus gummifer gum, glycerin, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, rosa mosqueta (rose hip) seed oil, panthenol, pelargonium graveolens flower oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, ascorbic acid, ginkgo biloba leaf extract, panax gensing root extract, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, chrysanthemum sinese flower extract, Magnolia biondi bud/flower extract, angelica archangelica root extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, beta cartotene, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root, tocopherol

PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 08-31-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Thanks for letting us know, I won't repurchase once my stash is gone.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
Ugggh. Thanks for letting us know. This leave in/gel is critical for me in high dews. I apply it on soaking wet hair and then style as usual. It really helps hold my curl and prevents frizz. The new ingredients seem drastically different, sigh.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
I called Aubrey Organics a few weeks and I was told they did change their formulations on two products, the Green Tea Moisturizer and the E plus High C deodorant. The formulation and ingredients have not changed on any other product. They are listing the ingredients on their products based on gov't requirements

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

Originally Posted by juanab
Well they changed it on this too...it even looks different (thinner & more opaque). I've been using it for 3 years. I called Vitacost and got a refund. This explains why my hair felt dryer and looked frizzier. These ingredient list says it all. Use to be a great frizz killer & refresher...wng staple

Any suggestions for a replacement? Maybe aloe vera juice?
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 08-31-2012 at 01:31 PM.
As an FYI, in the FAQs this is stated:

Q: Why are different bottles of the same product sometimes different in color, scent or texture?

A: Natural ingredients are not standardized and uniformly mass-produced the way synthetic ones can be. Herbs and other ingredients harvested from different farms at different times will look or feel different when used in a product. Heat or cold conditions during shipping can cause products to become thicker or thinner, and temperature can also affect color or scent. Aubrey formulates in small batches to ensure product purity and stability, and we offer a 100% money-back guarantee that our products will perform to your satisfaction.

As an FYI, in the FAQs this is stated:

Originally Posted by juanab
The ingredients listed on the bottles are totally different ( They added alcohol denat, glycerin, soybean oil, etc.) I listed them in the OP. Do you use the product too?
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 08-31-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old ingredients:

Water, panthenol (vitamin B-5), aloe vera gel, tragacanth and gum arabic blend, ginkgo leaf, ginseng root, chinese magnolia blossoms, chinese angelica, chrysanthemum, earth smoke, morus root, mandarin orange peel, aubrey's preservative (citrus seed extract, vitamins A, C and E).[/QUOTE]

They have to list everything that is in the blend, and say precisely what aubrey's preservative consists of. No, use this specify product. I use some of their others. I noticed the change listed on the label and called to find out why.

Why would a company like Aubrey's, who cares a great deal about their reputation, say they changed the formulation on some products but not state that it has on others?

This same discussion is being had with Qhemet Biologics here on NC.com.

Originally Posted by juanab

This same discussion is being had with Qhemet Biologics here on NC.com.

Don't know...but it is different...and when the 2nd ingredient listed changes from panthenol to alcohol denat...hmmmmm?
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 08-31-2012 at 02:36 PM.
I am sorry that this particular batch didn't work for you and I am glad you got your money back. Have the labels changed, yes. Do I believe the formulation has changed, no. We will have to agree to disagree.
twirlygranny likes this.

Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

Last edited by juanab; 08-31-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Does anyone know if Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly would be a good substitute for AOMM? I've had the bottle for a long time & hadn't used it so I smoothed some of this on dry hair (old wng)this evening and it killed the frizz and revived shine & curl.

Think I'll give it a try with a good leave-in and gel and see what happens.
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 08-31-2012 at 08:22 PM.
In my opinion no, but that's just my take. Its not as moisturizing, however i do like to occasionally mix it with other gels like you said you like to do with the aomm. I could never use it as a leave in or it would be frizz city for me.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
twirlygranny likes this.
Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
The same issue came up with AOHSR and some of AO's other conditioners. They previously had a compound ingredient at the top of the ingredients listing: "coconut fatty acid cream base." The FDA then required they list the components of this cream base individually.

We all know how ingredients are listed in order based on amount, right? So when the components that made up the coconut fatty acid cream base were broken out separately and distributed amongst the ingredients listing by their relative volume, it shuffled the ingredients listing and made it quite a bit longer as well. Basically it made it look like the formula had completely changed.

People were all up in arms, "ZOMG, they changed it!" etc. No, they didn't. I still use AOHSR and it's still the same. It looks the same, it acts the same.

I haven't had a chance to try the "new" (not) Mandarin Magic, but I was just about to get some more. I'm not put off by this at all. When they say they have changed this product and not that one and that the ingredients look different for this reason, I believe them. They have so far shown themselves to be a reputable company.

Besides, WHY would they lie and say, "we changed these two products but not that one?" Makes no sense.
poemaXX likes this.
I hope that those of you who think the formula hasn't changed are right. I just pulled AOMM out of the back of my bathroom cabinet to try again now that I'm CG, and I just love it.

My biggest concern is the Alcohol. Why wasn't that on the old label at all?
2B, normal porosity, elasticity, thickness, texture, moisture loving, protein leery...
Favorites:
CO: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
LO: Dessert Essence Coconut, Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
RO: SSDDMT
DT: JCDCT, SSDDMT
Style: AOMM, CCCL, KMFUM, KCTT
They cheapened it up it seems. Pass
Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam

]
Facebook|Twitter
They cheapened it up it seems. Pass
Originally Posted by Naturalista
Exactly....and I understand that they are using the scientific classification name for the herbs & flowers but there is no mandarin orange peel listed and they added different floral oils such as geranium, rose hip, lavendar, soybean, carrot root, witch hazel, etc...so it is definately a different formula....even left out one of the gums. Maybe they think this improves it.
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 09-01-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Originally Posted by wild~hair
Maybe it changed after they were questioned about the other.
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 09-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
You know, I did think of some explanations for a couple of the ingredient changes. I bet that the "aloe gel" and some of the plant extracts in the old list of ingredients contained alchohol as part of the base. Vitamin e is almost always in soybean oil (and often comes from soybean oil). Soybean oil is now listed at the bottom of the list of almost all of their hair products, so I'm thinking it must be from the vitamin e, which is in their preservative.

Why the mandarin orange peel is missing from "Mandarin Magic" however is a mystery. I'm going to call the company on Monday to inquire.
Favorites:
CO: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
LO: Dessert Essence Coconut, Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
RO: SSDDMT
DT: JCDCT, SSDDMT
Style: AOMM, CCCL, KMFUM, KCTT

Originally Posted by WavesnWheels
Vitamin E is listed as tocopherol & tocopheryl acetate...they added glycerin too unless it's part of an extract.
PJ Rehab 9/2011

Last edited by twirlygranny; 09-01-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Uh-oh, this is my HG! I'll have to check out some of the new stuff soon and see if it's up to par...
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD prone & Propylene Glycol Sensitive

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment Neutrogena T-Sal; H&S Clinical Strength