Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

I've used it and had no issues with flaking or tangles. I use it with the knot today and I also use a moisturizer and allow those to soak through before I put the custard on my hair. It's not something I use on the regular tho. The Curls Unleashed Curl Creme and Set It Off Jelly works and Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding works better.
I love it. It's a consistent product for me. I get very little crunch with the product alone, but good definition, very moisturizing and I love the smell
Jenn- 3A
My weapons of choice: KCCC, BRHG, Jessicurl: GLS, Gelabration, CC, AG: Re:coil, hard gel, mousse gel, shampoo bars, dairy whip, Curl keeper, KCKT, KBB milk, HETT, AVG, Honey

I am changing my mind. No longer a hater but now lover of this product! There are 2 tricks to make it work:
1) Apply Kinky Curly Knot Today (leavein) liberally.
2) Then apply Kinky Curly Custard but noting that a little goes a long way

If u apply too much, hair becomes too hard/crunchy. I think it is a very concentrated product.

Not sure if u can use a different leave in. I may try one day. Also, if you want a cheap cheap but excellent (maybe even better) curl definer, try Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator. But use more of that product. Same results as KC but with no crunchiness. Plus u don't really need a leave in

Kinky Curly and Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator are now my most favorite.
yossarian likes this.
I love it!!! If I get a slight amount of crunch I just take a hair pick and lift the hair from my scalp along with a few spritzes of water from a spray bottle. That's where I usually get crunch...on the top of my head. I also make sure I'm not heavy handed with the leave in condition (also by KC) because I notice that if I apply too much then when my hair is dry it has a dull look along my side part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
Kinky Curly and Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator are now my most favorite.
Originally Posted by rmc2
Hawaiian Silky works fantastic with KCCC for me as well! Another leave-in that works well for me to use instead of KCKT is As I Am Leave-in Conditioner. I can easily go through a bottle of KCKT in a week. The As I Am is actually more watery than KCKT, but I need way less of it to get through all my hair. It does contain some glycerin, but my hair definitely gets moisture from it.

The As I Am Jelly is a decent alternative for the KCCC for me, and it's not at crunchy. (It doesn't hold as long, though.)
yossarian and jsuzkelley like this.
3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
CG since August 2011/Occasionally Modified since 2013
Favorites:KCKT/KCCC/CHS Curl Keeper/Camille Rose Curl Maker/
ORS Curls Unleased Second ChanceRefresher/
It's a 10 Leave-in/BRHG/
Jane Carter Nourish & Shine butter/
Ouidad Double-Detangler Comb
I had the tangly/crunchy experience at first as well. But after playing with it for a while, if I use it on almost dripping hair and be conservative about the amount I use, it works really well. I ALWAYS have to scrunch out the crunch though. It just isn't one of those products that will ever be non-crunchy for me. I diffuse to about 75% dry and then let it air dry the rest of the way for about 20 minutes, then I scrunch out the crunch and use a setting spray and it looks great! Shiny and clumpy for me!
Lindsay, a curly Mommy with a curly little man

Fine texture, fine density, normal to high porosity(?)

Modified CG since April 2012

Wash: DevaCurl Low Poo or SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
COwash/RO: CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing, CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Shea Moisture Restorative
LI: KCKT
Style: KCCC, CJ Pattern Pusha, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, Loreal EverStyle Styling Spray
I believe some people give Kinky Curly a bad rap due to user error. I have cocktailed KCCC with ILoveMyFro Shea butter whip, used Shea Moisture Curl & Style milk under it, used As I Am leave-in under it, used Cantu hair lotion under it, and have used it on 2nd day hair with another product used initially and STILL got GREAT results with none of the "white" hair or "white balls" people have posted about and I have gotten 5 day hair with it When it dries stiff, I just mist my hair with Shea Moisture Hold and Shine mist and it softens up.

I really believe people have given than product a bad rap it does not deserve. KCCC is a GEL. It supposed to be a firm hold. User error should NOT be the basis of giving a product a bad review. It confuses people who are newly natural and that's not right.

The only gel I've used that don't hold firm is Eco Styler and its a joke. I may as well use grease and water.
Is a staple, love it! A little goes a long way, apply it to soaking wet hair. Takes practice. I use Wen cleansing conditioner and leave some in. Gel type products takes trial and error. Took awhile for me to get it down.
It can be scrunched out with a little Knot Today, not sure if I'd buy KCCC again though
UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I donít mind the odd cone - shhh CG since August 2012
About to wash my hair now and use CJCIAB followed with KCCC. Should be a good hair day.

curlypearl likes this.
www.naturesnectars.net
I love KCCC and nothing else compares. I barely use any on my twist outs and braid outs every week. Soft hair with great hold! Excellent for a person who only styles once a week.

curlypearl likes this.

Originally Posted by kurlygurly
That's what's up!!

Originally Posted by kurlygurly
That's what's up!!
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
www.naturesnectars.net
I like it, but I don't like how it feels and looks like....well...you know. It's just weird.
Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
CoWash: Tressemee naturals
RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
LI: Tresemee
Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
Always wash upside down.
Originally Posted by Houseofcurls
Yepp, I agree. After I'm done with it I probably won't be purchasing it again. I've also noticed it makes my straight damaged ends really noticeably straight.

www.naturesnectars.net
I remember trying this a couple of years ago and I can't remember why I stopped using it?

Anyway, I use Devacurl no-poo, DevaOne C conditioner as a leave in, then I use some Curl Keeper. I typically always fall back on my AG Re:coil which I love, as my styler, but I thought I'd give KCCC another try.

I used it today and love it! I used a little too much, but I'll know next time to use less. I scrunched out the crunch and it's looking really good. It elongates my curls more and I like that!

If I get 2nd and 3rd day hair like I do with AG Re:coil, I'm going to be using KCCC a lot!!!!
3B, with some 3C
As much as I like my Curly Kinks Coil Jam, I think Imma just roll with Kinky Curly Curling Custard as my main gel styler, since its on the ground. By the time I buy and pay shipping for CK, (I got it on the swap boards) I may as well have bought some KCCC. So KCCC is back to holy grail status. Plus I know how I use it with different products and moisturizers and not get negative results.
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze
I love this^^. I roll hard with Kinky Curly too. I appreciated what you said earlier about user error being the reason for KCCC getting a bad rap sometimes. It is so true. I always hate to metion or recommend when people ask on the boards because ten people always come on with all this hate. I am glad to see all of the positive results in this thread. Yay!
Hootenanny likes this.
Team Wash and Go!
I've used this off and on. The first jar was pretty good, but I used it when I had really short hair last year, so it lasted me a long time. I changed products for a while, but a few months ago I decided to give this another try. Now that my hair is longer, I have to use a lot more, and it isn't lasting so long...
Also, with KCCC, you need a leave-in, so that could make my hair a little heavy--which is great if you want elongated curls! However, for me, my hair felt a little bit dirty, I guess? Gummy? The drying time is long, too, which wouldn't be a problem if I diffused, but I always air dry. The hold is strong, but for me, it might have been too strong. I can't really describe it, but I just didn't like the way it made my hair feel sometimes. It was a hit or miss for me.

However, it IS a quality product! It's full of herbs that are great for your hair, and I love that it's natural. The smell is wonderful too
It's not the right styler for me, but it's still a good one! If you need elongated curls with strong hold and don't mind long drying time, this might work well for you.
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

Cleanser: BR÷÷ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing