Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #41

Originally Posted by redlipstick View Post
Originally Posted by GoldenBlaze View Post
As much as I like my Curly Kinks Coil Jam, I think Imma just roll with Kinky Curly Curling Custard as my main gel styler, since its on the ground. By the time I buy and pay shipping for CK, (I got it on the swap boards) I may as well have bought some KCCC. So KCCC is back to holy grail status. Plus I know how I use it with different products and moisturizers and not get negative results.
I love this^^. I roll hard with Kinky Curly too. I appreciated what you said earlier about user error being the reason for KCCC getting a bad rap sometimes. It is so true. I always hate to metion or recommend when people ask on the boards because ten people always come on with all this hate. I am glad to see all of the positive results in this thread. Yay!
No problem. I don't like it when naturals give a product a bad review based on their inability to use the product correctly. You can't slather on KCKT or the KCCC like its a deep conditioner and expect not to get crunchy hair. Sometimes it's all about your technique and how you use a product. I've seen SO MANY YT videos where the reviewer is just slathering those products on their hair and them give it an unfair review. It's important for us curlies to also be objective to how the person is using the product before we draw conclusions on it. Kinky Curly is one of the best all natural gels you can find on the market today. Yes it's a bit costly but it lasts for a long time if used properly. It is well worth the price.

Last edited by GoldenBlaze; 01-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #42

Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
I've used this off and on. The first jar was pretty good, but I used it when I had really short hair last year, so it lasted me a long time. I changed products for a while, but a few months ago I decided to give this another try. Now that my hair is longer, I have to use a lot more, and it isn't lasting so long...
Also, with KCCC, you need a leave-in, so that could make my hair a little heavy--which is great if you want elongated curls! However, for me, my hair felt a little bit dirty, I guess? Gummy? The drying time is long, too, which wouldn't be a problem if I diffused, but I always air dry. The hold is strong, but for me, it might have been too strong. I can't really describe it, but I just didn't like the way it made my hair feel sometimes. It was a hit or miss for me.

However, it IS a quality product! It's full of herbs that are great for your hair, and I love that it's natural. The smell is wonderful too
It's not the right styler for me, but it's still a good one! If you need elongated curls with strong hold and don't mind long drying time, this might work well for you.
I agree with this assessment. i like the hold I get from KC but it doesnt agree with everyone. The hold helps me to extend the wear of the product. The drying time can be tedious, especially in winter and my experience with diffusing with KC is FRIZZINESS. I prefer mine to air dry, so during winter if I'm not going out in a hurry, I only use KC when I have time to allow the product to completely dry. Right now, the bitter cold is winning so I'm wearing a Fro for the moment.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #43

Join Date: Apr 2012

Can anyone comment on how KCCC works when mixed with leave-in conditioner before it's applied? I'm considering getting KCCC but this is how I'd be using it. TY!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #44

CurlyJulie81's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012

Funny thing- I finally broke down and bought some KCCC yesterday. I was hoping not to like it(at $16 for an 8oz container, ouch!!)

But... It was my holy grail hair product. My fine 3b curls were AMAZING spirals. It looked like I used a curling iron on my entire head, the spirals were so perfect. I did use GVPCB underneath. I used a lot less than I would any other product and I had no crunchies.
3a/b fine, high porosity, medium density. Mod- CG

Sulfate-free Shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine shampoo with Epsom salts.
Co-wash: TRESemme Naturals,
Leave in: TN Radiant volume, KCKT, YTC pampering conditioner
Summer styler: LA Looks Spiked Gel(summer only)
Seal: Argan Oil/Macademia Oil
Winter styler: KCCC, AIF, Beyond the Zone Noodlehead curling creme(not CG)
DT: GVPCB, coconut oil
PT: GVP Hair Reconstructor
Embracing my curls.
CurlyJulie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #45

dee-nature's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009

congrats to all who love his but i dont like it (THANK GOD with the price who would want to). I dont like how it shrinks & compress my curls. I gave mine away after 2 uses. I did however like the kckt great detangler. I find that it does wonders for people with visible curl patterns

Sent from my MB612 using CurlTalk App
hair type: 4a VERY dense

hair goal
= WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil

2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!"

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

dee-nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #46

lcl0706's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by joseybird View Post
I mix mine with KCKT, about 2 parts KCCC to 1 part KCKT. That is the only way I'll use it. Otherwise I find it too "grabby" for me.
fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel

lcl0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #47

Join Date: Jun 2007

I'm so glad the original poster posted this! I'm really loving KCCC since reading this! I'm getting 3rd, 4th and even 5th day hair with it.

I'm still using Devacare No poo, then I use Devacurl OneC as my leave-in, a little Curl Keeper, then the KCCC. My curls on defined, but soft and I'm still really loving the fact that it elongates my curls a little.

I love my "HG" AG Re:coil, but it encourages my curls instead of elongating and my curls are encouraged enough!
3B, with some 3C
Laney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #48

reednaturally22's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012

For those talking about the price, how much are you using? I use probably a teaspoon or less on my hair every week...and I have very dense hair. An 8 ounce jar can last me about 6 or 7 months.
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #49

Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
Same here. I bought an 8oz jar of KCCC back in July of last year and I JUST replaced it at the beginning of January of this year. It little definitely goes a long way
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #50

kurlygurly's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
I realized you don't need much of this but just as I started to really like it I started noticing it makes white slimy balls throughout. I don't want to stop using my other product to be able to use it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
3B....Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal iherb.com discount code DWW266

Desert Essence Coconut shampoo
Condition: AO_Island Naturals, AO_Honeysuckle, AO White Camellia
LEAVE-IN: Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower, Desert Essence Coconut
STYLE: Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly/AO B-5 gel
Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #51

Join Date: Apr 2012

Just used the combo of KCKT + KCCC for the first time today! Raked them both through freshly-rinsed hair that I had poo'd and conditioned last night.

Result: Mostly-defined, soft curls with ZERO oiliness/crunch and LOTS of (good) volume! Not much shine, and a bit of frizz (which I ALWAYS have), but on the whole I'm very pleased with my hair today =D Going to see if I can get consistent results with this combo!
3a - Fine, thin, non-porous hair - boo!

Shampoo: SM shampoos

Clarifying Shampoo: KC Come Clean

Co-Wash: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioners, As I Am Co-Wash

Hair Gel: L.A. Looks Sport, KCCC, SM Curling Souffle

DT Conditioner: SM Raw Shea Masque, SM Raw Shea conditioner + coconut oil, GVPCB

LI Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, KCKT, VO5 shea + SM baby oil

Curl Enhancers: L.A. Looks Beachy Waves, Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray. AG re:coil
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #52

Join Date: Dec 2011

I had been eyeing KCCC forever, but I've been disappointed by many products that work wonders for everyone else but me But I saw it on the swap board and figured "what the heck - one more letdown won't kill me."

The first time I used it, I was on the third day of EverCurl CC, plus I used too much - two huge mistakes. My hair needs to be fully clean (i.e. low-poo before applying), and it is absolutely essential to use a minimal amount. Once I corrected those issues, I got shiny, frizz-free waves and ringlets

I didn't have any issues with flakes or residue, and I didn't notice any difference in drying time. But I don't care for the fragrance AT ALL. That is my only complaint about this product, but it's a major one - scent is a big deal to me.

rmc2 and gardencurls: Thanks for the tip on the Hawaiian 14-in-1. I tried it alone but my hair just didn't care for it. It does get great reviews though, and it IS super cheap, so I'll definitely experiment with that combination since it's sitting in my cabinet anyway.

ITA with the As I Am Curling Jelly comparison. I had been using that for months with great results, until I was enticed into buying other products by the rave reviews here. Both products give me great shine and definition; however, I like the fact that KCCC is glycerin free, plus I get WAY more root curl with it.

If only the KC smelled like the AIA, it would be the perfect product!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #53

xcptnl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005

I like the fact I can get the smaller tubs of kccc at target. I do not use much either (short hair) so the smaller tubs even last me 6 months.

xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote

Staple: Jojoba Oil
kurlygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #55

After using KCCC several times with KCKT, I am COMPLETELY SOLD on this combo

I'm amazed at how moisturized and defined my hair feels/looks! I try to discourage clumping in my curls, as my hair is low-density and it really needs volume, but this can often lead to undefined curls or the dreaded "ramen noodle" effect.

I've gotten some good results with my daily routine using various products, but this combo is by far the best! (Note: I poo/co-wash and deep condition at night, then rinse with cold water in the morning, detangle/moisturize then rake through styling product)

Seriously debating my product-junkie ways now I mean, isn't it kinda disappointing buying a new product and it not working nearly as well as a product you already own and love?
3a - Fine, thin, non-porous hair - boo!

Shampoo: SM shampoos

Clarifying Shampoo: KC Come Clean

Co-Wash: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioners, As I Am Co-Wash

Hair Gel: L.A. Looks Sport, KCCC, SM Curling Souffle

LI Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, KCKT, VO5 shea + SM baby oil

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #56

bosanbo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I'm one of the curlygirls for whom KCCC works really, really well. I was shocked, because I have very fine hair and normally gels make it shrink up, get crunchy, and look generally blah.

The first attempt with it was... bad. I used a "gel" amount and slathered it on, with limp-wet-cat results.

Now that I know what to do, KCCC works for me, no leave-in, no crunch at all. I am kind of boggled by how little I have to use: I just tap three fingertips onto the surface of the stuff and rub that between my palms, then gently squish it into wet hair. I actually applied it three times this morning: totally wet right out of the shower, after my loose-turban plop/before diffusing, and after diffusing on my ends and patting down some frizz. I can't imagine I used even 1/4 teaspoon combined. My hair is defined, very soft (in a good way), shiny, with just maybe less clumping than I'd like (my hair's fault, not KCCC's). I really like the way it looks.

I can easily see how too much of it would be awful. And I use a conditioner that makes my hair very moisturized, so I don't need a leave-in right now. The smell... well, my man likes it because it smells like I'm putting candy on my head. I don't know, it's like opening Jell-o or Capri Sun or movie theatre gummy treats. The smell also goes away immediately, for me.

So this one tub I got at Target for $11 will apparently last for approximately the rest of my life, or until it goes bad. Not a bad deal, for me! No one thing can work for everyone, though.
I sort of blog
I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
bosanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #57

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

Yossarian, I was not talking about the Hawaiian 14 in 1 product which I myself have never used because I dont think it is CG friendly. I was talking about Hawaiin Silky Curl Activator.

Also, based on the comments, I am now tempted to revisit the KK custard and try 1 teaspoon or so to see if it defines hair but WITHOUT the crunch I usually get. t
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #58

Join Date: Jan 2013

I wish this stuff worked for me after seeing all these pictures. The first time I used it I loved it but the hold just isn't enough for me. I tried using more, same problem. I can't even get 2nd day hair. This last time I used enough to have scrunchable crunchies, and still no hold. I had better luck with cheaper stuff. Am I using too much leave in? I was wondering if anyone had luck using a curl cream with it? I have been playing with this for 3 months already trying to get it right. I have very dry, coarse, medium to low porosity hair that is just past the middle of my back.
Mycelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #59

bosanbo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

Myclef, I have different hair than you (fine/ low porosity), but I use KCCC almost like a leave-in (applied in the shower and combed around before headbanging), then use Garnier Pure&Clean Gel outside the shower on my dripping wet hair. SOTC when it dries and it looks great.
I sort of blog
I'm mostly away doing field work through mid-May.

Hair: curlybob, fine, dense, low-po, big waves/ringlets (2C/3A)
Co-Wash: Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner
RO: YTC Carrot, Aubrey Organics GPB
LI: BS Shea Soft Styling Cream (HG)
Styling: KCCC, Garnier P&C Gel
1xWeek: low-poo, gelatin PT or Joico K-Pak
Hair Likes: aloe, coconut oil, humidity, protein, long walks on the beach
bosanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #60

MsCurl83's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2002

It worked for me 1 time. I looked like I stole somebody's hair. But every other time I've tried to recreate that magic moment, flop flop flop. Oh we'll.
"My hair is a reflection of my personality:
wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
BSL now
As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

MsCurl83 is offline   Reply With Quote