-   -   Surprising results with Hawaiian Silky Gel Activator (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/149725-surprising-results-hawaiian-silky-gel-activator.html)

rmc2 09-14-2012 10:10 AM

Surprising results with Hawaiian Silky Gel Activator

I have 4a hair and in the in between stage in terms of growth. I have tried Miss Jessie, Kinky Curl, Shea Moisture etc. and so far the best curl definer for me which leaves my hair curly, soft and shiny (and not sticky) is surprisingly a $4-$5 16 oz jar of Hawaiian Silky Gel Activator (the pink one). It also happens to be CG friendly (no cones). Has anyone tried this product? I put it on soaking wet hair and rake with fingers.

jsuzkelley 09-14-2012 06:13 PM

Can you post the ingredient list?

rmc2 09-14-2012 08:42 PM

It is CG friendly. No silicones. Not a natural product though but it nicely defines curls for afro hair type 4.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua) Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-75 Lanolin, Hydantoin DMDM, Polysorbate-20, Triethanolamine, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Carbomer, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract (Angelica Archangelica), Articum Lappa Root Extract (Articum Lappa), Chamomilla Recutita (martricaria) Extract (Charmomilla Recultita), Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract (Symphytum Officinale), Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Extract (Viscum Album), Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract (Urtica Dioica), Avena Sativa (Oat) Meal Extract (Avena Sativa, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus Officinalis), Saliva Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (Saliva Officinalis), Nasturtium Officinale Extract (Nasturtium Officianale), FD&C Yellow NO. 5 (Cl 19140), FD&C Red No. 40 (CL 16035), Fragrance (Parfum)

gardencurls 09-14-2012 11:49 PM

I haven't yet tried the activator but I've been using the Hawaiian Silky 14-1 (it's sort of a watery gel-cream in a trigger spray bottle) for years. It really activates curls, moisturizers, and soothes my scalp. There's just nothing else like it around - and it's cheap!:flower:

These days I'm 3B & can even get to 3C depending on humidity, but I think this product would be great for tighter curls as well!

I think Hawaiian Silky is one of those "best kept secrets of people with great hair" lines.

curlypearl 09-15-2012 07:24 AM

Interesting! I'll keep this in mind. Hoping to use up a few products first before my pj starts growling and wanting to be fed. :flower:

rmc2 09-15-2012 07:53 AM

Hmm. 14 in 1 seems very popular. I might want to try it but i see it has mineral oil.......

BlackAngelPlayah 09-15-2012 08:41 PM

I've been using activator since I took my locs down. I use Long Aid, but it does make your hair sticky if you use too much.