Suggested products for 3a

• 1 Post By kathymack

Hi all,

I am hoping I can get some help on good products for my hair type. As the subject line says, I have 3a curls, low porosity, and medium density, coarseness, and length. I have been using TJ's TTT shampoo and conditioner for about a year and a half and I try a different styling product just about everytime I run out of one! I have used Kinky Curly, Biotera Curl Creme, and now I am on Beyond Zone Noodle Head that I got from Sally's. They all did "alright", jut hold my hair to a higher standard for some reason :-) I am hoping someone out there has similar curls and has some great combination of products.

I have also tried co-wash, but maybe it was the product i used, but my hair always felt dirty so I have been on shampoo and conditioner for a while. I think I read the site correctly that that is right for my hair type, but again, individual advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks everyone, in advance!!
The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties and not type. Look for folks with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's the best way to figure out what to try next.
curlypearl likes this.

I use the Beyond the Zone Tame your curls mousse, and I learned a trick with it when I first started buying it (cause I hated it at first). You may already do this, but if you take the puff of mousse and rub it into your hands until you have what looks like oil on your hands and then apply it, it works well. I have tried so many products, and this has been my HG for styling for a long time.
-3a/3b, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye- free (CG since Nov. '11)
-CO: every other night (air dry) VO5 (various scents)
-Low poo (As needed): ION Color Defense Clarifying, Yes To line, Giovanni TTTT
-RO: GVP CB
-LI: Giovanni DLI or a tiny bit of my co-wash or RO (sometimes none)
-Styling: BYZ Noodle Head Tame your Curls Mousse
-PT: ION Effective Care

I use Curlesque Curling cream over Foxy Curls definition spray and KY jelly, and I finish with a little bit of Kenra Ciment gel to help hold (my hair doesn't keep hold or style for long, I need lots of product to keep hold) I get the best hold/curl definition/low frizz with this combo...HTH!

ETA I was unable to co-wash as well. Right now I am using Renpure Argan Oil low-poo and Olive Tree Argan Oil condish, hair likes it! I alternate with TiGi products (Urban Antidotes) I don't avoid 'cones cause my hair doesn't care about them, I have low/medium porosity and medium thickness, and I have a mix of coarse and fine strands. Just thought I would add that in case the extra info helps.
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!

Last edited by Knotty_Maddy; 11-04-2012 at 08:58 AM.
I think our hair is very similar. I do not follow a cg or no sulfate routine, so I use garnier shampoo and conditioner called triple moisture. I also use their Argan oil mixed with some of my unrefined coconut oil from trader joes. I just started the garnier volumizing mousse because I love big hair, and then I use either got2be kinky mousse or the garnier scrunch gel.

3a brunette/grey but dyed curls
Pernicious Anemia has me at 20% grey now!
I don't do CG. I use whatever shampoo and conditioner I have which is almost always garnier
Cleanse: Garnier Triple Nutrition Shampoo
Condition:Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner
Stylers: Garnier scrunch gel, argan/coconut oil, Got2Be Kinky mousse. Varies.
Tshirt plopper and super scruncher